FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I still have some things on XP.

That said I think I have some stuff on 8.1 and possibly 7 as I inherited a few machines. My primary and mess around machines are Linux though and have been since the end of XP.

• Love
Reactions: Flame and SylverReZ

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: SylverReZ

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking of switching to Linux as well since Windows is mostly bloated from the ground up. But then again, most of the software I used are for Windows, and cross-compatibility with Wine is a mixed bag.
I just found Linux equivalents of everything. What are you reliant on?

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
problem is i dual boot on many of my laptops with a variant of windows. not because its cool. because its needed for niche homebrews, software and games.

not even in a virtual machine?
Yeah I would likely just have my own Linux install. I have a decent enough PC where the few applications I need Windows for I can just run in a VM.
Post automatically merged:

I use Linux Mint as my main go-to distro.
I've always been a Manjaro/Arch user. Not much of a fan of APT/Debian.

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yes I do (win7), I don't find enough reason why not to use? Image with integreated service pack and patches run fast on ssd. Good compatiblity with software, areo doesn't hutrs eyes like win 10. I don't have telemetry and other bloatware. Web browsers till now still supports this os.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For fun maybe via on a virtual machine, but for work purposes as an IT Administrator, for devices that have eol support does raise security concerns. My company move on from Windows 7 when Windows 7 extended support ended.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Switched to Linux years ago. Linux mint doesn't break things or doesn't require(notable) extra horsepower for the same performance.

At work we're on windows 10 and 11,though it wouldn't surprise me if some doofusses who only use their laptops twice a year still use an old laptop.
More interesting is windows xp, strange enough. Our thin clients used to run on them, and i almost literally had to beg to have those replaced. (and for context: the hd was just large enough for the os, citrix client and TeamViewer. It couldn't handle updates or a virus scanner. And yes, we've had problems with those things).

aoikurayami

dysfunctionally intimidating
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I keep a win7 lappy in storage just in case

But my main is now running 10, cause UVR5, IzotopeRX9 and IbisPaintX will straight up not work otherwise.

I hate it when I'm forced to upgrade like this ngh ..
Just thinking about win11 makes me wanna puke

That why u use firefox
But Opera better adblock hathes !

Last edited by aoikurayami,

chocoboss

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm not using windows 7 since windows 10 existe, I do not have any problem.

Now I use windows 11 on most of my computers ( unsupported latitude 3189 ) and lenovo P52S

no problem on any of those.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I WISH I could still use Windows 7. I absofuckinglutely despise Windows 11. Never liked 10. Windows 7 was the last Microsoft PC OS I liked.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm on Win7, because I don't like updating when not needed, and I fear updating and losing things, compatibilities, conflicts, drivers, etc.
if the PC dies I should buy a new with win10 (or 11) directly, instead of updating win7 with all the installed apps and drivers. and having to reinstall everything takes so much time.

note: win7 can't even update itself without failing some packages :/
I can't update nvidia drivers either. it just crash to blackscreen and colored squares onscreens. at reboot, it's back to old version. I tried to fully uninstall it in safemode, reinstall it, same issue (I can't even reinstall the old version I had !). Hopefully I made backups.
so yes, I fear updating will just break more.

For now, I encountered only 2 softwares not working on win7 (OBS v28, but 27 is ok), and WizebotApp (BSOD), both related to game Streaming.
Another app announced they will drop support in 2023 (browser? I forgot), but I can just... not update, I suppose.

I fear some softwares I use daily wouldn't work anymore, like Girder (an USB UIRT adapter to control my PC using infrared remotes), or I would have to update a lot of drivers or reinstall them (video drivers, codecs, usbgecko, svn/git, etc.)
too much time consuming and fear of unknown. almost like a phobia :/

Last edited by Cyan,
  • Sad

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: yeah, i'm Anyone, that's just not my alias here