• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do you believe Russia hacked the US election?

What do you think is really going on? Let's get a little political here.

I assume you've all heard of the recent Vermont power grid "hacking" story. A few days ago a Vermont utility company found a russian virus on some guy's computer and (part of) the press extrapolated the fact, turning it into a so-called proof of a Russian conspiracy to hack the US power grid... That title was a fucking clickbait, and I just knew it. But not just your average buzzshit clickbait, a serious fucking one this time. When you read the article it became clear: pure bullshit. No evidence whatsoever, all that happened is that they found a regular virus on a random guy's computer, which happens a million times a day everywhere in the world. A few hours later they retracted, a lot of other sites and agencies stated that there was no such thing as a power grid hack attempt. Those media outlets jumped to conclusions to serve their own agenda, it seems.

Now regarding the "hacking" of the US election. Several US government agencies are claiming it's real. Are we being lied to? Are the FBI and homeland security and others all following orders of a higher instance or do they have actual evidence?
So far, they haven't shared much with the general public. Last week they released a document, which I read, but if you read it too you will find that it's absolutely empty of evidence. All it states is "we found some IP addresses in the logs" and "we found a bit of code that was used before". That amounts to nothing at all.

So why do they keep going on about this?
Do you think these agencies have insights they cant share with the public? could they have informants within the russian goverment? that's one of the few things I can think of that they would never be able to reveal. Or maybe it is just more political bullshit... but what's the point? Trump will take office soon and all this Russia crap isn't working. Apparently Trump has something to say on the subject that he will reveal on tuesday or wednesday. I wonder what that may be.

d7e413a2ab0f4b30b7759b3064fd6b0b.jpg

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imo, I think Obama is just trying to tense Russia before trump comes in office, or that this was intentional to make people believe Hillary won.

And if tensions rise and then we go to war, every one forgets Obama existed and immediately say "nice one trump, wasting taxpayers dollars on war"

Reactions: Xiphiidae

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I absolutely believe the Russians did interfere with the results of the US elections. All of the polls prior to election day had Hilary Clinton in the lead by 6 or 7 percentage points. All of the legitimate polls that I know of had Clinton in the lead, based solely upon surveys conducted prior to the election. So how could the end result have changed? It's because the people didn't vote him in and the Russians interfered.

And if you look at the included methodology in those polls they were admittedly sampling democrats 5-1 in red states like Arizona and using prior polling giving Hillary all of Bernies voters on the false assumption they would vote for Hillary. No one is accusing Russia of hacking voting machines, they are accusing them of leaking Hillary's emails and so fucking what if they did.

Sketchy1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And think about it:
If Russia did truly sway the election to get trump in office, that would mean Russia has a tie with trump, which would cool off tensions between the leaders.

So what I'm saying is, even if it was hacked, it would actually benefit us

Reactions: Xiphiidae

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
35 retards think Russia has hacked the election LOL

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

at least USA voting can be hacked. on the Russian voting system its one choice or the death.

Russia isn't a dictatorship.
Also, it's not a democracy either, you won't get killed for not voting for Putin, you just simply won't vote to anyone... And it just works way better than the USA's rotten "democracy".

Sketchy1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
35 retards think Russia has hacked the election LOL

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Russia isn't a dictatorship.
Also, it's not a democracy either, you won't get killed for not voting for Putin, you just simply won't vote to anyone... And it just works way better than the USA's rotten "democracy".
LOL we don't think they did-
We know they didnt

tivanh

Trophies
XP
Country
My personal stance on this is that 2 party politics is a scam. That the president does not infact hold much power. If Trump wanted power to change America, or any other president, prime minister of any country, then they would start their own party with basic ideals easily digestable. Ideals supporting things like equality, narrowing disparity, human, animal rights, environmental protection, etc. They would put contentders in all demographics and win the houses and senate and make changes for the people.

Less than 1% hold more than 99% of the worlds money, land and resources. Thats not by accident.

Trump in running to begin with and now this side show act, was and is a appease the masses that politics is legit, and working for you. In reality from my perspective they all bat for the same team, and it doesn't involve us serfs. That is what they regard us and is visible in that just owning a home on a small block takes a lifetime to achieve working long hours.

Free range slaves, stimulated with all the latest gadgets to entertain and distract them from getting educated. Divided on race, religion and class to look at each other, if they bother to pay some attention to the greater world around in them looking for reasons to world problems.

Last edited by tivanh,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Lml wanna stop false voting?
Stop using voting machines. Paper votes don't lie

Though voting machines are a massive problem (video I linked earlier) there are still plenty of problems outside that

Also if a recount has ever shown a different result then there is a problem, and thus the option that paper votes don't represent the truth.

Kolyasisan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
And they also hacked the local elections and it said that one group scored 148% of voices in total. My country's the best. Now I only ask for reasonable people who won't judge people by it's country decisions. But seeing 90% of our people blaming all the foreigners for all the misfortune really gives us no justice. Now go on and ban me for whining.

Smiths

AKAIO Person of Interest TAGS ARE THE BEST
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.gamergeddon.com
XP
Country
United States
They didn't hack the election, so the answer is no.

They did phish and selectively release information damaging to only one party which may or may not have influenced votes. Considering most people are dumb as retarded toads missing a leg and swimming in circles, the selective release could have swayed their opinions.

Considering the election itself was simply a "choose the least shitty of the two shitty", anyone selectively releasing stolen information solely against one of the two people counts as influencing.

Also considering how suddenly Americans are being told by the next Retard In Office to suck Putin's penis for the first time in decades for no reason other than "I say so" is very scary and telling.

So please, chime in on this forum with ignorance and conspiracy shit. Bottom line is: shit was stolen and selectively released solely against one candidate. It didn't necessarily make Clinton lose, but again, the election came down to 100K votes spread over 4 states. That's a close-as-fuck election in any case and with how stupid and reactive people are in general, there is a pretty good chance some of those 100K were people going "I read these stolen mails and they said this happened so I can't vote for her". That = influenced.

So shame on you Costello for the "hack the election" headline.

As a citizen who voted, I am scared shitless on what we DON'T know with the Russia<->Orange Twat connection. We have no idea what he owes money to or worse -- what Russia has on him to keep him 'obedient'. And it's not just Russia. We have NO CLUE who or what this incoming turd owes $ or favors to. We know what the Glorious Leader decides to tweet out and that's it.

He doesn't answer questions; he spouts 1-way statements and lets the commoners and his shit-scoopers (Reince/Conway/etc.) clean it up for him. Unless they clean it up too much and he makes them offer a video apology (Newt and the Drain the Swamp apology he had to do).

So with this turd coming in, it IS more believable to think Russia wanted him in and did what they could to influence things simply due to his own actions.

Hillary blew too, but at least you knew why she was shitty rather clearly. She was transparently mucky. This cockswagger egomaniac lied then lied about his lies and then lied about the lies to his lies and never offered an apology.

The ONLY apology from him was when Pussy Grabbing came out. That's how BAD it has to be for him to admit any fault. At least Hillary apologized for the lies (then lied more).

So let's go back to discussing shitty DLC and sequels to crap, please

Last edited by Smiths,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I have no doubt Russia was the perpetrator of the hacks and that they also hacked the RNC but didn't release those docs. 17 intelligence agencies confirm, even the FBI, the most conservative (redneck) of the bunch. I think Comey's announcement so close to the election had a bigger impact on the results than the hack did, but who knows what motivated Comey to do what he did. There very well could have been Russian involvement there, as well.

It doesn't particularly matter now that Trump has been elected. He's easily manipulated by any number of tactics. Just look at how Carrier already played him for a fool, sending half their jobs to Mexico, getting a huge payout from the government, and then in all likelihood they'll use that money to automate and eliminate the rest of their jobs.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: osaka35

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Don't worry so much man, the Republicans will do the decisions and govern, as a party, not just the inexperienced non diplomatic head of state.
Nothing extreme will happen, for sure America will come first and they would even Kennedy him up if they feel he is becoming a difficult to control puppet that puts the country into the road of self destruction. I say.

PS: And I don't particularly like Republicans, but sure they are not a monkey with a gun.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Don't worry so much man, the Republicans will do the decisions and govern, as a party, not just the inexperienced non diplomatic head of state.
Nothing extreme will happen, for sure America will come first and they would even Kennedy him up if they feel he is becoming a difficult to control puppet that puts the country into the road of self destruction. I say.

PS: And I don't particularly like Republicans, but sure they are not a monkey with a gun.
The republicans have become incredibly stupid over the years. Toward the end of Obama's presidency there have been a number of things they passed/attempted to pass and then literally turned right around and said to Obama, "oh, we didn't know this wouldn't work out well, why didn't you tell us it wouldn't work out well?" Without a responsible dad in the white house to counteract all the stupidity, a lot of stuff is probably going to go sideways pretty quick. It'll be just like the GWB years with everyone trying to line their pockets before the inevitable economic collapse brought on by the repeal of all our financial regulatory legislation.

Sketchy1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like how some people complaining about the op asking polit8cs on gbatemp, but can we take a moment to realize were in the bottom of the temp; in the general off topic forum

Reactions: Subtle Demise

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They didn't hack the election, so the answer is no.

They did phish and selectively release information damaging to only one party which may or may not have influenced votes.

proof? Evidence? any kind of source of fact? No, just hyperbolic assertions.

I have no doubt Russia was the perpetrator of the hacks and that they also hacked the RNC but didn't release those docs. 17 intelligence agencies confirm, even the FBI, the most conservative (redneck) of the bunch.

Easily manipulation would be you, parroting "17 agencies confirm" which you will not find a source for other than partisan assurances it happened. There is not a single document from any U.S agency other than partisans claiming there is off the record.

Not one shred of evidence of any kind it happened other than hysterical liberals insisting it's true.

You and anyone else claiming Russia released Hillarys criminal emails ---- >
dTlrG7Q.jpg

No evidence, at all.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing I really love, and have always loved, about GBATemp is that we mostly stay out of politics. But when the gate is opened briefly for a worthwhile political discussion, it's a mostly civilized and intelligent discourse (at least, compared to some other boards where politics is an open festering wound, like that Neo-something place).

Anyway, on-topic, I'm not reading seven pages. :P
The "election" wasn't hacked. The Democrat Party might have been, but Wikileaks' version of the story is that they were provided the DNC emails from an insider in a hand-delivery secret meeting, and I think their story is credible.

If those leaked emails influenced any voters' opinions, I'd say it was to no more of a degree than the news media participated in an intentional and proven effort to exert influence on the election (which, ironically, was proven by those very emails showing cooperation between the DNC and news networks).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo