• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do you believe Russia hacked the US election?

What do you think is really going on? Let's get a little political here.

I assume you've all heard of the recent Vermont power grid "hacking" story. A few days ago a Vermont utility company found a russian virus on some guy's computer and (part of) the press extrapolated the fact, turning it into a so-called proof of a Russian conspiracy to hack the US power grid... That title was a fucking clickbait, and I just knew it. But not just your average buzzshit clickbait, a serious fucking one this time. When you read the article it became clear: pure bullshit. No evidence whatsoever, all that happened is that they found a regular virus on a random guy's computer, which happens a million times a day everywhere in the world. A few hours later they retracted, a lot of other sites and agencies stated that there was no such thing as a power grid hack attempt. Those media outlets jumped to conclusions to serve their own agenda, it seems.

Now regarding the "hacking" of the US election. Several US government agencies are claiming it's real. Are we being lied to? Are the FBI and homeland security and others all following orders of a higher instance or do they have actual evidence?
So far, they haven't shared much with the general public. Last week they released a document, which I read, but if you read it too you will find that it's absolutely empty of evidence. All it states is "we found some IP addresses in the logs" and "we found a bit of code that was used before". That amounts to nothing at all.

So why do they keep going on about this?
Do you think these agencies have insights they cant share with the public? could they have informants within the russian goverment? that's one of the few things I can think of that they would never be able to reveal. Or maybe it is just more political bullshit... but what's the point? Trump will take office soon and all this Russia crap isn't working. Apparently Trump has something to say on the subject that he will reveal on tuesday or wednesday. I wonder what that may be.

d7e413a2ab0f4b30b7759b3064fd6b0b.jpg

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
jesus, do you think any of the cia-kiddies that come through this place have any business in tracking foreign hacking attempts on us information systems?
what I'm saying is maybe there are other articles on other sites that haven't got enough attention.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I believe that some hacking by Russian hackers have been performed. I don't believe that it affected anything in anyone's favor. As always, it's probably only "can we do it? Yes we could. Fix your security, morons."

Why Russians? Cause they have plenty of advanced hackers.

I don't believe there is any conspiracy that some Russians want one or the other to win and such. And wasn't it that head of FBI who seemed to do everything in his power to throw dirt at Hillary at the most inconvenient of times? Are the FBI and CIA now making up hacking attacks to make Democrats look better?

Nah. I think there were attacks. I don't think they affected anything, just left traces.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who said it does? Personally I like to hear what others think.

After a few decades, it gets old. Nearly everyone is tapped into the main stream, therefore everyone is thinking, feeling, and discussing what is in that vacuum, and not what it without.

It grows rather dull and predictable after a while, unless of course you want to chance a game of prophecy every now and again.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
After a few decades, it gets old. Nearly everyone is tapped into the main stream, therefore everyone is thinking, feeling, and discussing what is in that vacuum, and not what it without.

It grows rather dull and predictable after a while, unless of course you want to chance a game of prophecy every now and again.
I would agree with you, I was expecting to see "YES RUSKIS HAXKED ELEKTION WI`T VODKA LUNIX" votes winning the poll by far. That seems to be mainstream opinion, but since people here obviously think very differently, it's pretty interesting.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Who said it does? Personally I like to hear what others think.
but why? you know whatever anyone here thinks has literally no basis other than gutfeeling and political orientation.

there is no proof for or against this to be found on newswebsites or online in general.
there is no valid proof for or against it to be found in discussing this among random online strangers.
especially not if its also interrupted by trolls every other post.

if people don't want to believe the industry experts, there is literally nothing that would ever sway their minds other than russia openly admitting it had government sanctioned plans to help trump in a close race by a hard to track but very specific information leak.

so whats the point?

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
As always, it's probably only "can we do it? Yes we could. Fix your security, morons."
Nah. I think there were attacks. I don't think they affected anything, just left traces.
In the modern world of political tension I would say that this is the most unrealistic thing I've heard, any country who wanted to hack an election of this scale for their own gain and found such glaring security holes doing so would have hacked said election in a moment's notice.
VODKA LUNIX
Where can I get that distro???

SaffronXL

The Grand Galactic Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm disappointed noone here seems to be pointing to history and saying that it's not a question of whether or not they meddled with the election, but whether said meddling was justified. The Clintons took an extremely anti-Russian stance after the collapse of the USSR, and ensured that Russian wealth shifted away from the government and people of Russia and into the hands of a few wealthy US-friendly businessmen. Vladimir Putin's appeal to Russians is that he wrested the Russian economy away from these wealthy outside business interests and put the power back into the hands of elected Russian officials.

Another Clinton in the White House would have threatened and fractured Putin's power base, and standing by and allowing that to happen without trying to cause a different outcome would have caused the world's most powerful man to look weak. It's not a question if Russians hacked DNC resources to weaken Clinton's campaign, they did, and anyone with a basic knowledge of world politics knows it's more absurd to claim that Russia would just sit idly by as the US elected Russia's number 1 enemy to our highest office.

The question isn't if, it's whether it was justified or if it had any effect on the outcome. I'm inclined to say yes to the former, and maybe to the latter.

I advise watching "Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States" on Netflix for historical context.The 2016 elections are obviously not covered, but it does a solid job of explaining why Putin and Russia would do ANYTHING to keep another Clinton out of the White House.

Reactions: DeoNaught

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was certain Russia would hack this election before it even happened. So when it came to light that they may have hacked it I wasn't surprised for a moment.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Do Americans even realize what the revealed secrets are about?
All I could hear for months from US media was "the Russians did it, the Russians did it!"

Did what?

Imagine it's proven Putin rigged the Russian election and all the Russian media talks about is "The Americans did it!"
Not even the Russian media (RT is not all of Russian media, RT is for the English-speaking world) is that bad.
Something to reflect on.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With a witness, there is no proof so I cannot argue with that. I do not care about the politics for they are the corruptions.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
There is no evidence to indicate the election was hacked. However, the DNC was hacjed and we've known about it for months. Clinton committed purgery to make it less of a problem than it was, revealing further evidence of her untrustworthyness, and the leaks revealed more of her true character. Meanwhile many people want to forgive her and make her president. Even if the leaks were fake, she's guilty of purgery, and since the case was recently reopened, this could have resulted in her impeachment and removal from office if she were made president.

I'm not too fond of Trump, his temperment and business conflit-of-interests bother me, but the media is really giving him a hard time. Attributing meaning to a 6 point star and hounding him on mispelling a word by a single letter (a mistake I could easily make) among other stupid things are ridiculous. It's not just the news agencies, but the people too. Stop panicking, it's not going to be as bad as you think (the other two branches are there for a reason; on top of that, his stated plans like overturning unconstitutional executive orders and fixing the healthcare mess actually sound good). Stop the "not my president" BS, it just shows how much of a baby you are (you lost, get over it). And above all, stop making me defend Trump!

Last edited by evandixon,

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm disappointed noone here seems to be pointing to history and saying that it's not a question of whether or not they meddled with the election, but whether said meddling was justified. The Clintons took an extremely anti-Russian stance after the collapse of the USSR, and ensured that Russian wealth shifted away from the government and people of Russia and into the hands of a few wealthy US-friendly businessmen. Vladimir Putin's appeal to Russians is that he wrested the Russian economy away from these wealthy outside business interests and put the power back into the hands of elected Russian officials.

Another Clinton in the White House would have threatened and fractured Putin's power base, and standing by and allowing that to happen without trying to cause a different outcome would have caused the world's most powerful man to look weak. It's not a question if Russians hacked DNC resources to weaken Clinton's campaign, they did, and anyone with a basic knowledge of world politics knows it's more absurd to claim that Russia would just sit idly by as the US elected Russia's number 1 enemy to our highest office.

The question isn't if, it's whether it was justified or if it had any effect on the outcome. I'm inclined to say yes to the former, and maybe to the latter.

I advise watching "Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States" on Netflix for historical context.The 2016 elections are obviously not covered, but it does a solid job of explaining why Putin and Russia would do ANYTHING to keep another Clinton out of the White House.
so they WOULD hack the elections to keep Hillary out of the white house?
so in my last comment I was correct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu