Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosdarkneo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I see...

Well, my friend wants to pass on her support and appreciation for you, as a team, letting her play her favorite, old time games again (and me too!)

Elliander

Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
I have been reading through this thread for a while, and it seems you guys are at the phase of seeing what works and what doesn't and recording errors and fixes? I'm not much of a programmer (I'm actually in college for biological sciences and just did minor coding for fun. I did some work in machine code once upon a time, and have some experience in C and C .NET and Visual Basic.NET and have also played around with hex editors), but I am very detail oriented and pick things up quickly. I would love to help test features and report bugs if there are any openings for that. I have quite a few gamecube games that I would love to test.

For this backup loader would it use the same hard drive as USB Loader GX would use? I noticed that USB Loader can rip gamecube games and download covers, but can't play them. Would there be seamless integration in the future or would it require a separate hard drive?

I have a black Wii that isn't capable of running backup discs or playing DVD movies, but is otherwise fully soft modded.

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
OP
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
Happy new year to all of you guys here :)

It´s amazing to see the ongoing process, great work guys.

I really appreciate your help. Keep it up.

Edit: typo

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I want to change how the patcher works, right now it needs a hack to get Metroid Prime to work. So i assume it would need hacks for other games as well.

If other devs want to talk to me, come to #DML @efnet on irc.

@Elliander:
It's a bit early to test stuff, i still got a few ideas. Also, i expect over 50% of games to not work for you, because you don't have BootMii boot2. And DML loads the games from sd card, you'll only need the HDD to be able to boot Sneek+DI.

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Is Twilight Princess playable with this btw? I would guess not since it was one of last games released...

Elliander

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I want to change how the patcher works, right now it needs a hack to get Metroid Prime to work. So i assume it would need hacks for other games as well.

If other devs want to talk to me, come to #DML @efnet on irc.

@Elliander:
It's a bit early to test stuff, i still got a few ideas. Also, i expect over 50% of games to not work for you, because you don't have BootMii boot2. And DML loads the games from sd card, you'll only need the HDD to be able to boot Sneek+DI.

I have BootMii, but what is boot2? I have a 32 GB SD Card that I use with my Wii which I run my apps on. I would have a preference to running from the hard drive if it can be done without interfering with existing Wii games, but I don't think I have Sneek. I know I won't be able to run burned Wii games, but that is really the whole reason I want to see this project succeed. Eventually my old Gamecube games will become damaged and I want to see them last. I don't quite understand though how that would impair the software.

Something else I am wondering about: How would Nintendo's choice to gut game cube support from new Wii and Wii-U in the future affect projects like this? Not that I would ever plan to buy a Wii without gamecube support, just curious.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Small status update:
I was able to boot r8 from real nand without usb device inserted. But sadly this has the same issue as BootMii IOS. Adding the ability to load games from DML in usb loaders looks pretty easy, all you need is DML as BC on real nand, write the boot.bin and start BC. But since it won't work for most games anyways, i'm not doing anything in that direction. It might even be possible to install DML as IOS instead overwriting BC, but as long as the major issue exists, it's not worth investigating.

So right now the BootMii IOS issue seems to be something that happens in the regular boot process and that is undone by the regular BC. Since Sneek+DI booted from BootMii boot2 skips the regular boot process and DML contains 0 code from the original BC(except the reverse engineered part...), BootMii boot2 is the only "solution" for now.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
To your point, crediar mentioned somewhere (maybe just to me in a PM, I can't remember) that DML can be installed anywhere on the NAND, he basically arbitrarily chose BC, but it could be installed to an unused IOS slot or maybe MIOS or maybe somewhere else. All this is hearsay cuz frankly I wouldn't know the first thing about doing that, but I just wanted to confirm for you that it is in fact possible to install DML somewhere other than BC.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
To your point, crediar mentioned somewhere (maybe just to me in a PM, I can't remember) that DML can be installed anywhere on the NAND, he basically arbitrarily chose BC, but it could be installed to an unused IOS slot or maybe MIOS or maybe somewhere else. All this is hearsay cuz frankly I wouldn't know the first thing about doing that, but I just wanted to confirm for you that it is in fact possible to install DML somewhere other than BC.

Before trying this, i was hoping that boot2 is the one that fixes the problem on retail GC games, and that it only does it when booting BC. I think it needs to be BC, MIOS or an IOS, because it really needs to be executed as arm code, but that might be everything it requires. Anyways, as i said, right now it's pointless.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If somebody with BootMii boot2 really wants to do some testing, i got the following to offer:
- Test if Metroid Prime (still?) works
- Test if games with multiple .dol files work, like Zelda: Collector's Edition. Some benchmarks would be nice for those games as well. 1st run of the game and 1st run of the games inside vs 2nd run. On the 1st run, DML searches the patches and writes them to a cache file, so the 2nd time loading should be faster.

This is not important, because i will test some of my games when i implemented all of my ideas. But i was thinking, in case if somebody is bored...

Also, there's no need to (re)test all games, i still have some ideas that might change the compatiblity for good or bad. Hopefully good...

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
really great to see someone putting effort into this. thx wiipower.

1. I got a Wii with BootMii boot2, so i'm doing this for myself. NeoGamma is faster and more compatible right now, but i don't like the dvd sound, i always fear that the drive dies. And Swiss seems to be slower than DML, at least if you only got a SD Gecko and not an ide-exi like me.

And more importantly:
2. The more i improve the project, the more interesting it gets for people who can do stuff i can't. Next to nobody is willing to mess with asm sd card read code for a loader with about 50% compatiblity. But if the loader has >90% compatibilty and all major titles work, that would be different.

Anyways, right now, i got no idea how good or bad the compatiblity(with BootMii boot2) is. 2 little changes i have in my mind already, and it could be NeoGamma's compatibility.

Reactions: 3 people

Elliander

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
If somebody with BootMii boot2 really wants to do some testing, i got the following to offer:
- Test if Metroid Prime (still?) works
- Test if games with multiple .dol files work, like Zelda: Collector's Edition. Some benchmarks would be nice for those games as well. 1st run of the game and 1st run of the games inside vs 2nd run. On the 1st run, DML searches the patches and writes them to a cache file, so the 2nd time loading should be faster.

This is not important, because i will test some of my games when i implemented all of my ideas. But i was thinking, in case if somebody is bored...

Also, there's no need to (re)test all games, i still have some ideas that might change the compatiblity for good or bad. Hopefully good...

I have BootMii, but where would I get the current program to test? Also, in what format are the discs to be ripped? ISO files?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
[...]
I have BootMii, but where would I get the current program to test? Also, in what format are the discs to be ripped? ISO files?

I thought you have a black Wii? You could convert the games from .iso to the format DML want with ModMii.

Elliander

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
[...]

I thought you have a black Wii? You could convert the games from .iso to the format DML want with ModMii.

Yes. I have a black Wii. The only thing a black Wii can't do is load burned CD discs or watch DVD movies. I just double checked my apps folder in the SD card to be sure and I do have BootMii.

I think I know what you are getting at though. Even if my wii could play burned discs I would still prefer a USB loader option though because of portability. I have allot of Gamecube games taking up space that I would love to just put onto a hard drive to play when I travel and to also keep the gamecube games stored on the hard drive as well and then store the discs where they won't get damaged. That is my main interest in seeing this project succeed: Being able to play Gamecube games on my black wii without having to take all my games with me.

I used ModMii to mod my Wii (it's what put BootMii on my SD card), but how would I use it to turn a .iso to a DML file? (and which program is best for ripping gamecube games to ISO?) I'm not familiar with DML files. Would I load it from SD or USB?

lulzBOB

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yes. I have a black Wii. The only thing a black Wii can't do is load burned CD discs or watch DVD movies. I just double checked my apps folder in the SD card to be sure and I do have BootMii.

I think I know what you are getting at though. Even if my wii could play burned discs I would still prefer a USB loader option though because of portability. I have allot of Gamecube games taking up space that I would love to just put onto a hard drive to play when I travel and to also keep the gamecube games stored on the hard drive as well and then store the discs where they won't get damaged. That is my main interest in seeing this project succeed: Being able to play Gamecube games on my black wii without having to take all my games with me.

I used ModMii to mod my Wii (it's what put BootMii on my SD card), but how would I use it to turn a .iso to a DML file? (and which program is best for ripping gamecube games to ISO?) I'm not familiar with DML files. Would I load it from SD or USB?

He asked if some had BootMii as boot2 and not as an IOS. BootMii installed as boot 2 acts like a brick protection in case you do something wrong with your wii. You may have BootMii installed thats true !BUT! if you got a black wii it can't be bootmii as boot2.
So unless you are really sure you know what you are doin, you justshouldn't try this out.

Elliander

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States

He asked if some had BootMii as boot2 and not as an IOS. BootMii installed as boot 2 acts like a brick protection in case you do something wrong with your wii. You may have BootMii installed thats true !BUT! if you got a black wii it can't be bootmii as boot2.
So unless you are really sure you know what you are doin, you justshouldn't try this out.

Thanks for clearing that up. I did refer to the page on BootMii before I replied though and it said that BootMii is a modified version of boot2. So just calling it BootMii as boot2 confused me because reduced functions doesn't make it any different. I am aware though that it was installed as an IOS so in the future I will try to keep that in mind.

I don't suppose it is even possible to get an old Wii, is it?

lulzBOB

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks for clearing that up. I did refer to the page on BootMii before I replied though and it said that BootMii is a modified version of boot2. So just calling it BootMii as boot2 confused me because reduced functions doesn't make it any different. I am aware though that it was installed as an IOS so in the future I will try to keep that in mind.

I don't suppose it is even possible to get an old Wii, is it?

Well you could try it maybe in a local shop in your city (a shop for used games and hardware). Just write down the serial number if the shopowner allows it to you and check it online, if its an old one. Else search on eBay ore some similar websites and if you found a used Wii just ask the seller for the serial number. Thats the only advice i could give to you.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
BootMii and BootMii boot2 and BootMii IOS are 3 different programs. And DML won't read games from usb hdd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: see ya