Translation Digimon Story: Lost Evolution Translation Project

• Thread starter yugix
  • Start date
  • Views 1,594,218
  • Replies 2,283
  • Likes 730

Which do you prefer for place names?!

• Stick with Japanese names for all names.

Votes: 141 27.9%
  • Use localized names (from Dawn/Dusk) for old names, and Japanese for new names.

Votes: 365 72.1%

• Total voters

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Well, I do what I can.

All right, I'm up to a hair under 86% of the main story file having entries in the blanks. There are a lot of repeated sections...kind of (the wording for the same situations is different depending on the speaker) but this all takes time plowing through it all, and the remaining blocks have quite a bit of text per block so that could slow things down.

Hopefully checking the English after all the blanks are filled in goes much faster, though I already know some of the oldest stuff is quite rough in spots.

Aaron Chmielowiec

Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Okay, I've had a bit of time this week to work on this and I will have time tomorrow as well after some contract work I have to do in the morning.

Right now it is sitting around 90% complete for the main story file and 100% for the Training file (barring fixes for the older translations in the main story file). The last 10% or so are larger blocks and I'm starting to run into situations where the context is not clear but I'm going to put in what I can. Hopefully the testers and those more expert in Digimon matters can iron out those places.

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One question, are you people go on a holiday or translate DIGIMON STORY SUPER XROS WARS after this?

Holiday.

Can't speak for everyone but this was the reason I came to this forum and I don't plan to have any other long term commitments after

Aaron Chmielowiec

Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Hello, just doing a quick update to let you know I haven't exploded or anything.

It's been a very busy week but I will have a fair bit of time over the next few days to work on this. One the main file is done I'll quickly go through and fix up the worst of the errors (some I already touched up). I think the first playable alpha will still be pretty rough but once we reach that point I think it is just a matter of polishing up the text until it looks all nice and professional.

I also got sidetracked with two strategy guides I ordered that finally came in. One was for Retro Game Challenge 1 and 2 and the other was for Blood of Bahamut. Since I have some loose guides already I've been writing those have helped quite a bit. Other than that, I've been shipping all sorts of goods from Japan to overseas. It's fairly easy but it takes time to wrap and ship things internationally, moreso if it is something from Yahoo Auction Japan I need to fight for. Oh, on that note, the new Pokemon Center is opening up near my house next month (Dec 11th I think) in case anyone is interested in things like that sometime. But anyway...

TheLoneWolfGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon center? Near your house??

Hello, just doing a quick update to let you know I haven't exploded or anything.

It's been a very busy week but I will have a fair bit of time over the next few days to work on this. One the main file is done I'll quickly go through and fix up the worst of the errors (some I already touched up). I think the first playable alpha will still be pretty rough but once we reach that point I think it is just a matter of polishing up the text until it looks all nice and professional.

I also got sidetracked with two strategy guides I ordered that finally came in. One was for Retro Game Challenge 1 and 2 and the other was for Blood of Bahamut. Since I have some loose guides already I've been writing those have helped quite a bit. Other than that, I've been shipping all sorts of goods from Japan to overseas. It's fairly easy but it takes time to wrap and ship things internationally, moreso if it is something from Yahoo Auction Japan I need to fight for. Oh, on that note, the new Pokemon Center is opening up near my house next month (Dec 11th I think) in case anyone is interested in things like that sometime. But anyway...
Good you didn't explode. But why do you think its gonna be rough? Many errors expected? Or Some untracked texts in the story? You are also writing guides + this! Really tough! And a Pokémon center opening near your house? That's great news have loads of fun... and good luck. Seems you need it!

Aaron Chmielowiec

Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Okay, just me again. I finished off a few large blocks of the main story file. I'm not quite 92% (Edit> 93% now) done in terms of number of translation items, but the small percentage I did do were some pretty big blocks so just in terms of raw characters I seemingly made more progress than I imply...if that makes any sense

The text is making more sense to me now, not being a hardcore Digimon fan or anything, but I'm sure my view of the overall story is hopelessly warped, but hey, if it gets the game done... All the same, this will need a full text scan/fix before I would consider it all ready for testing.

About the Pokemon center near my house, yeah. I live near Narimasu station (technically Wako-shi) which is about 10 minutes by express from Ikebukuro, where the new Pokemon center is slated to open next month. There is also an Evangelion store opening up there too, but I don't know too much about that. Honestly, though, Yokai Watch is all the rage here these days. Mind you, the new Pokemon games are out real soon now (some reports say a few people already have it here, but that was the case with Pokemon X/Y, too)

Aaron Chmielowiec

Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Well, that's the thing. I jumped onto this game mid-project and there are a lot of older translations that really need fixing up, including consistency not to mention the terminology. Even so, I'm not trying to imply that my way is the only way. I haven't really played much of Digimon at all before this. Even so, once I give it a full review when there is English for every line in the game, then I'm more comfortable with others ripping apart the translation to fit better with the tone of this game series. Remember that I wrote and translated technical manuals and specification documents for years at Hitachi and was a J-E Interpreter at a fashion magazine publisher of all places, so even though gaming has been a huge part of my life for...33 years or so, I may still have some quirks that need ironing out.

Oh, I just finished another 80 or so rows tonight. A bit under 93% of the main story file now has some kind of text in the English field, anyway. It's all good stuff.

TheLoneWolfGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that's the thing. I jumped onto this game mid-project and there are a lot of older translations that really need fixing up, including consistency not to mention the terminology. Even so, I'm not trying to imply that my way is the only way. I haven't really played much of Digimon at all before this. Even so, once I give it a full review when there is English for every line in the game, then I'm more comfortable with others ripping apart the translation to fit better with the tone of this game series. Remember that I wrote and translated technical manuals and specification documents for years at Hitachi and was a J-E Interpreter at a fashion magazine publisher of all places, so even though gaming has been a huge part of my life for...33 years or so, I may still have some quirks that need ironing out.

Oh, I just finished another 80 or so rows tonight. A bit under 93% of the main story file now has some kind of text in the English field, anyway. It's all good stuff.
Looks like you have more experience than I have. You must play or have played digimon world DS/dawn/dusk to get more of digimon. And I see that the project is progressing extensively. At this rate the main story file will be finished soon. But then there are side quests. And this digimon game was due to introduce many features like sub types as well. The track to its completion seems really bumpy with many curves and paths to explore. So good luck with that. I'd like to help, But I lack the resources and experience to undertake anything. Lol!

Aaron Chmielowiec

Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
AFAIK, unless there is another file I haven't been shown, all the subquests and training related text is already done.

I'm busy this weekend but I'll have a few days next week I can work on this so I'll see how far I can get. Right now it's still just a mad dash to fill in all the empty English fields in the master chart. Checking it all should hopefully go faster, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/zRP4O4N7FPU?si=onaJGFGw9vP1XCSQ