Translation Digimon Story: Lost Evolution Translation Project

  • Thread starter Thread starter yugix
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 1,668,946
  • Replies Replies 2,284
  • Likes Likes 730

Which do you prefer for place names?!

  • Stick with Japanese names for all names.

    Votes: 141 27.8%
  • Use localized names (from Dawn/Dusk) for old names, and Japanese for new names.

    Votes: 367 72.2%

  • Total voters
    508
Very good to hear that translation progress is being made again.

I've been a little out of the loop. Have the localizers decided whether they're going to alter names (of characters, places, attacks, etc.), or whether they're going to keep honorifics?

All decisions are made in that group PM, we haven't done anything outside.
We a democracy yo
 
  • Like
Reactions: EZ-Megaman
ya, right progress being made, finished on spring 2015 - digimon 15th anniversary with the upcoming sequel of digimon adventures anime - taichi high school 17 years old
just kidding :lol: lel

 
  • Like
Reactions: AsPika2219
Okay, I've been plowing through the files and although I'm getting through it, this will take a while yet.

Can I ask about a brief history of this project? I was told it was old but didn't know what the story was with the translation in the state it was when I got it. Is it another case of people just getting too busy with other things?

In the large 4800 or so row file (the wall 'o' text), I'm seeing a lot of consistency issues in what was already done not just in the words and terms used (e.g. Big ice, Large ice, Huge Ice; Key Item, Important Item; Angel Type, Holy Type, etc.) but how certain dialogue and message patterns are written as well as some parts that were clearly machine translated and/or had fundamental mistakes (My claws is sharp.)

This is not a complaint, however, since I'm probably going to have to rewrite quite a bit of this anyway, but please be aware this is going to slow down progress as well.

Of course, once it is all translated, the next part is seeing if the text will actually fit and display properly in-game, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Edit> small point, but I'm seeing references to a Digimon Type "幻獣" which I know elsewhere as "Eidolon" though wikimon implies it is "Mythical Beast". I know it isn't "Dragon" or "Beast" as I found in the translation file. What would you like it as? Either is fine for me as long as length isn't an issue for "Mythical Beast". At this stage it doesn't matter which I use, but if it is consistent we can change it more easily later.

EDIT>

Super happy progress numbers:

From the Training File (mespak005) - Even though all 906 rows have something in them (I did these all last week), there are blocks of 150 or so rows that are recycled but spoken in different speech styles. I need to touch that up somewhat (I did 4 or so (groups of 150) already, I think)

From the master file (mespak003) - 3630/4817 rows have *something* in the English field. A number of these older ones in particular will need to be fixed, but at least 3/4 or so of the file has something there now. The first 2826 rows and the end from 4055-4817 are all filled in, and the middle section has entries in place here and there.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Darksage098
Can I ask about a brief history of this project? I was told it was old but didn't know what the story was with the translation in the state it was when I got it. Is it another case of people just getting too busy with other things?

Yes, yes it is.
People disappeared, people couldn't help out any longer and basically it got to a stage where nothing could be done because we lacked the most important element for a very long time: actual translators

In the large 4800 or so row file (the wall 'o' text), I'm seeing a lot of consistency issues in what was already done not just in the words and terms used (e.g. Big ice, Large ice, Huge Ice; Key Item, Important Item; Angel Type, Holy Type, etc.) but how certain dialogue and message patterns are written as well as some parts that were clearly machine translated and/or had fundamental mistakes (My claws is sharp.)

Some people accessed our files and implemented machine translations when Yugix originally had the files viewable in public IIRC

Edit> small point, but I'm seeing references to a Digimon Type "幻獣" which I know elsewhere as "Eidolon" though wikimon implies it is "Mythical Beast". I know it isn't "Dragon" or "Beast" as I found in the translation file. What would you like it as? Either is fine for me as long as length isn't an issue for "Mythical Beast". At this stage it doesn't matter which I use, but if it is consistent we can change it more easily later.

I breifly remember "Mythical beast" being a classification of Digimon type. It rings a bell.
Take http://digimon.wikia.com/wiki/Sagittarimon as an example compared to Veemon who is just a "dragon"
Uhhh, let me get you added to the group PM board to discuss this one further
 
  • Like
Reactions: Pablitox
ya, right progress being made, finished on spring 2015 - digimon 15th anniversary with the upcoming sequel of digimon adventures anime - taichi high school 17 years old
just kidding :lol: lel

Wow! Digimon Adventure is back? Nice!!! :D I will waiting for this!
 
Thanks for the messages.

I've been plowing through this as best I can though there is a *lot* of text left to do and the old translations need revisions.

Even so, I am almost at having the first 3000 rows in the large 003 file done. The rows from 4000 to the end are almost all done and a number of the rows between 3000 and 4000 are already done. Note that by "done" I mean "there is text in the English field". It will need some heavy proofreading. Remember that I am no Digimon expert at all. Once all the text is in place I'll need to compare it against the designated localization...name list (for lack of a better word) and then confirm that what is written actually fits and makes sense in-game.

Just out of curiosity, how desired is this game? I'm starting to get messages on facebook and at my email addresses just asking if I am indeed working on this.
 
Thanks for the messages.

I've been plowing through this as best I can though there is a *lot* of text left to do and the old translations need revisions.

Even so, I am almost at having the first 3000 rows in the large 003 file done. The rows from 4000 to the end are almost all done and a number of the rows between 3000 and 4000 are already done. Note that by "done" I mean "there is text in the English field". It will need some heavy proofreading. Remember that I am no Digimon expert at all. Once all the text is in place I'll need to compare it against the designated localization...name list (for lack of a better word) and then confirm that what is written actually fits and makes sense in-game.

Just out of curiosity, how desired is this game? I'm starting to get messages on facebook and at my email addresses just asking if I am indeed working on this.

Super desired added onto the fact that we've been going for quite a while, the digimon fanbase is really passionate loool and don't worry about Digi Jargon and localisation, its what i'm (originally) here for
I answered your questions in the pm btw


(#progress)
 
Super desired added onto the fact that we've been going for quite a while, the digimon fanbase is really passionate loool and don't worry about Digi Jargon and localisation, its what i'm (originally) here for
I answered your questions in the pm btw


(#progress)

Still not as desired as ORAS, but pretty close lol. Glad to hear that eveything is chugging along.
 
What the hell is ORAS?

Well I don't know how many people are still waiting for this, it's been a long time.
I know I'll play this game extensively at least.



I am still waiting, and waiting patiently....I checked this forum almost everyday. Just give them time, i am sure they can finish it. :lol:
 
Just checking in again.

I went through the 005 file (the 900 line one) and touched up a good 400 or so lines. I don't think it is perfect yet but there are repeated sections used in the training sequences I originally copy/pasted as a place holder and those needed to be fixed up not only because the speech style is different, but because the received boosts and bonuses seem to vary slightly by Digimon and the text phrases used reflect that.

Also, without seeing these in game, there are vague terms used in the game and on their own and I'm not sure which means more than the others. They are used as in "You're xxxx (stat) went up ..." I can say "It went up a lot!" "It went up sharply!" "It skyrocketed!" "It rose quite a bit!", etc. but this is just something that needs context. (とっても, かなり, ずいぶん)

Still, that file is in much better shape now. I'll get back to that 003 monster of a file. It's still going to take a while to finish the last 1000 or so lines. And then there will be proofreading of all the old stuff as well... but I digress.
 
I couldn't be happier to see progress being made on this. As someone who has been following the project a long time let me assure you it is very desired.
 
I also want to give my 2 thanks to Aaron Chmielowiec
Ive been following this project since <--Whenever it was I have been a member since~ checking on it once or twice a week. Really glad to not only see it back in action, but have a literal idea of whats been going on behind the scenes.
 

Site & Scene News