ROM Hack Digimon Story Lost Evolution Project

TMS1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Localization is not translation. The names should be kept as they are. You wouldn't rename Shu and Kizuna as Shawn and Kelly.

...Or maybe you would, I don't know.

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The main characters are different, they're specific to the game so their names should be kept the same.
The reason we propose localising the names is because they are the names everyone is used to
Alot of people will get angry and confused when they see japanese names instead of the ones they grew up knowing and loving
Alot more than the single digit number of people who seem to love the japanese names

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

TMS1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know people here are Western gamers first-and-foremost, and Digimon fans only secondarily. I suppose you'll be calling Sleipmon "Kentarosmon," along with Apokarimon, Arukenimon, Kokatorimon, Kimeramon? Biyomon instead of Piyomon, even though piyopiyo means chirping and biyo means absolutely nothing? The names are ridiculous and meaningless, and there's no good reason to change them. Besides, people were perfectly fine with using the correct names earlier in the life of this thread.

Black-Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes because that was the stance so far and all the names have already been localised
The good reason to change them is to fit in with the rest of localised games like dawn and dusk
Would a normal gamer care about deep foreign meanings behind names or understanding and relating to names they have watched and played for years,
I think i know the anwser

TMS1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if no one shares my opinion, then I'll give it up. I'd just like to express my disappointment with the decision to mistranslate the game.

Black-Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Its not mistranslating
Its using the official western names
If you feel the western names to be mistranslations, send a letter to the official localisation team of the company who currently dub digimon, although it may just end up in an industrial shredder

Lockmaster24

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I agree with Black-Ice, it is the most logical way to do this translation. I know him as Omnimon not Omegamon even though Omegamon is cooler and everything and I do try to refer to him as Omegamon, Omnimon is just the one I say. I have been used to Omnimon for I don't even know how long anymore.

Reactions: 1 person

TMS1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. By the way, if you're going to use the dub names for Digimon, are you going to change all the other terms as well? I assume you'll use "digivolution" (will you be changing the title to "Digimon World: Lost Digivolution," to reflect this and to "maintain continuity" with the dubs of previous games in the Digimon Story series?) and the names for evolutionary levels that sound like sports terms instead of stages of growth. But will you also be changing the Digimon attack names to their dub equivalents? For example, will SaberLeomon's signature attack Infinity Arrow be renamed "Twin Fang," despite the fact that the attack has nothing to do with his fangs? Also, I know some of the locations in Lost Evolution previously appeared in Digimon Story and Sunburst/Moonlight. Will their names be changed to the dub names as well? I'm not sure how many names of previously appearing items and equipment were changed in the dub, but will you be following the dub there, too? Basically, how far does the revisionism go?

Anyway... I'm sorry for arguing. It's just that when I first found this topic I was elated to think that for once Digimon fans would be getting an honest translation by people who would have respect for the source material. It was especially stupid of me to protest the alterations when I myself probably will never find the time to play the actual game. My principle interest is in gaining information about the game and its storyline not previously available to non-Japanese speakers. So, regardless of what alterations are made to the text in the rom, would it be possible to get an undoctored script for the game's dialogue once it's done being translated? The Digimon fan community would be grateful.

Mirby

BDFF Hype~ :3
Trophies
Website
mirbystudios.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, we're just trying keep the terminology continuity intact between the games that were localized here. Digimon names are going to be their dubbed versions, digivolution will be used... and that's about it. Item names, locations, attacks... those'll stay the same as the Japanese version, except they'll be in English.

I mean, by all means, when this is done I don't think anyone would have a problem if you took it (asking first, of course) and changed the names to the originals (i.e. Gatomon to Tailmon) for a more faithful translation. Or you could take it up yourself, if you so desired. But for this translation in particular, we're going with localized names and terminologies (namely "digivolution").

SirCB85

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Actually I don´t get what all the fuzz is about..
In my oppinion they could rename Agumon into Pikachu, it´s theyr decission and if you don´t like what they did, pick up learning japanese and stfu.

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
If I remember you are only changing the names out of your interest in playing in line with the mistranslated american series. That caters to an audience that responds to trademarked made up words.
Yugix has told me to use Digitama instead of digiegg... If people are unable to get the meaning from seeing an egg under digitama than its kinda hopeless them playing at all.
But then "digital egg" makes as much sense and would hold a childs attention only as long it took them to change the channel to find something they can understand.
I only asked about opinions on digivolution and the evolution regression thing I didn't say which one I would use. Now unless the people making the changes are actually translating more stuff instead just of making it more "americanized" stop the whining...
Dang it I wanted to clarify so the graphics would line up with the rest of the translation. Not to start up a it should be this fight. SO let me clarify I used Digitama instead of digiegg. I also have had the title image done a long time ago and it says Digimon Story Lost Evolution. I am using the translation from before the amercanization and wholly agree that the actual meaning is better than an americanized one (at least for this). Now while it wouldn't be that hard to go back and redo graphics I have no interest in actually doing so (I'm lazy in not wanting to do things over and over that and the hundred + images I have done that way are going to stay that way).
Are any of the people who are americanizing the translation actually contributing anything other than that to the translation? If you are not then I feel sad to say that I cannot put you into the credits for that as you are just taking credit for someone elses translation (the translators who worked on localizing the other games who literally were paid to do so and caters to an audience that responds to made up words - which I have no intention of trying to figure out that mess of credit nor do I have the space to actually add it either).
For editing sure; for translating not unless you actually did some...

well that solves that - tiny near illegible regress(ion) and evolve (evolution)...

Stop this silliness before another 2 pages get filled...

If you aren't an actual translator please leave the translation alone until it is done by people who know what they are doing (that includes "americanizing" using the other games localization). Editing can be done when the translation is done.

Please no more arguments over what it should be.

Reactions: 3 people

lavi bookman

Trophies
XP
Country
WOW... sooo i've just spent a good 30 mins or so reading this entire topic!!! LOL

I Think you guys working on it are very smart and dedicated. BIG thanks from the UK and looking forward to playing the beta sometime in the future :D

yugix

Sleepy
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Hi People,

As I should note, don't change the names from Japanese names to American names. Leave them as it was before. I'm not going to change "names, terms or any related things that we worked on them before"

I used mostly "japanese digimon names", and "Digitama" and Evolution. If you want to make it localized to american, I will be giving you all files and you should complete translations and localization.

Now I think that putting the story MESPAK in a public site was a big mistake.

Sougo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so happy to see that people are still trying to get this game in english! good luck to everyone and hope this gets up soon!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub: