Did Sony just usher in the digital only era?

M7L7NK7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The upper class is doing fine in this economy. Also monthly payments to buy small electronics is popular among certain populations, including most of Europe.
I'm speaking on the average person, that's why I mentioned people who are rich separately as obviously this doesn't apply to them.

Jayinem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it was like a brand new console that you could only play every game that comes out on it I still think it's overpriced but it would be way more understandable than to expect people to buy it over a regular PS5. But I'm sure some will. I'm sure there's a number of PS5 Pros Sony is hoping to sell or needs to sell to not lose too much money.

To me the craziest people are the ones who already have a PS5 and will upgrade, I already have one and no way would I do that. Even if I didn't have a PS5 I'd go with the $500 disc version. But things like 4K resolution and 60 fps are not as important to me as some other people.

UltraHurricane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it was like a brand new console that you could only play every game that comes out on it I still think it's overpriced but it would be way more understandable than to expect people to buy it over a regular PS5. But I'm sure some will. I'm sure there's a number of PS5 Pros Sony is hoping to sell or needs to sell to not lose too much money.

To me the craziest people are the ones who already have a PS5 and will upgrade, I already have one and no way would I do that. Even if I didn't have a PS5 I'd go with the $500 disc version. But things like 4K resolution and 60 fps are not as important to me as some other people.
I've been telling people, at that price point you might as well be getting a gaming pc

It's also hard to say if the PS5 Pro will even deliver on that 4K60fps promise as most of the upgrades are GPU-focused and games like GTA6 rely A LOT on computations for it's open world simulation which is reliant on the CPU... ya know... The weakest part of the PS5 ☠️

Reactions: CoolMe

salazarcosplay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When Sony announced their PS5 Pro for $699 with no disc drive, a $200 increase over the one with a regular disc drive, IMO they were saying this is the digital era and consoles are basically like a computer now for dummies. Because yes you can build a computer that's probably more powerful for $700 but you can't buy one.

I'm thinking PS6 will have no disc drive what so ever and they're preparing us for that. I don't expect Nintendo to follow with Switch 2 and Microsoft may or not may not either however Sony is leading the way as far as high tech consoles (which Switch is not).
Sony still gives you the option for a disk tray.
Ushering the age. With consoles I think it would have been Microsoft. Microsoft with Having a digital only Xbox One as a first attempt, and really pushing gamepass subscription as a better value alternative to Xbox live. Then when it came to series X and S, pushing the S as the cheaper alternative to the X, and the cheapest alternative to get into next gen.

The PS5 Digital and Regular are essentially the same minus the disk drive. Mother board looks the same, cpu looks the same, graphics look the same. I saw this move by Sony as something to better compete with Microsoft. They did not go out of their way to purposefully a less powerful system for the sole purpose of insisting digital only like Microsoft with the S.

I think the Switch 2 might have the cart hold the license and you download the rest of the game. Some games started this mostly. Where you insert the cart and downloads the rest, this seems like a fair compromise in most cases. The only downfall is you need the most uptodate version there after you cant rollback like the xbox when you reinstall.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://overkill.wtf/emudeck-2-3-release/