Homebrew Custom Menu Themes help before I update? I've used TubeHax previously on my JP new 3DS w/V.10.1.0-27

Blue

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks again for attempting to explain things a bit. I couldn't find anything on memchunkhax2 - but do I need to, or was that just to help me understand? I still don't really know what emuNAND is, so could you tell me a little more about that and if you think it's something I'll definitely want?

I was looking into SafeSysUpdater (mainly this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-safesysupdater.409392/) and what I didn't realize is that the downgrade process is never 100% safe. Even if there's only a slight risk of me bricking the system, I'd rather not do it. The one exception would be if it would allow me access to the Japanese eShop somehow, and if that's the only way of doing it. Nothing else is all that important to me, and I'm happy just to have it working region-free.

By the way, I did get SVDT working and I'm very happy with it. The only thing that bothered me a bit (which may seem silly) is how ugly the icon was. I like everything looking nice and clean, which is why I downloaded SMDH-Creator back when I first got homebrew working on Ver. 10.1 - so I could make my own icons. Since I was only making it for myself, I just made it say "saves" instead of SVDT. In case you or anyone else wants to use it, I'll upload it here (I was going to upload the modified SMDH, but it won't allow it). It matches the colors I used with the gridlauncher version of the homebrew launcher...

View attachment 38783
It would also allow you to pirate games for free and have them on your homescreen in your desired region. If you really do not care about 'more powerful homebrew' and piracy at the version you are at would rather not take a risk just update to 10.5 since it is the latest and you can use online services (eshop) and region free.

OldSchoolGamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would also allow you to pirate games for free and have them on your homescreen in your desired region. If you really do not care about 'more powerful homebrew' and piracy at the version you are at would rather not take a risk just update to 10.5 since it is the latest and you can use online services (eshop) and region free.
Well, I don't want to give up the option to change my mind and downgrade later, especially since the process may be made even safer as time goes on. Plus, there are some other things that'll work on 10.3 that won't on 10.5. Although they're not as important to me as Region Free, I'm sure I'll want to look into all of it eventually - when I start having a lot of free time again. Thanks for letting me know that though!

EDIT: I was actually going to ask if the latest version had been hacked, so I could do that, but then I decided it wouldn't be worth it. So, can you tell me, is there any way to access the eShop using homebrew, without the latest update?

Last edited by OldSchoolGamer,
D

Deleted User

Thanks again for attempting to explain things a bit. I couldn't find anything on memchunkhax2 - but do I need to, or was that just to help me understand? I still don't really know what emuNAND is, so could you tell me a little more about that and if you think it's something I'll definitely want?

I was looking into SafeSysUpdater (mainly this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-safesysupdater.409392/) and what I didn't realize is that the downgrade process is never 100% safe. Even if there's only a slight risk of me bricking the system, I'd rather not do it. The one exception would be if it would allow me access to the Japanese eShop somehow, and if that's the only way of doing it. Nothing else is all that important to me, and I'm happy just to have it working region-free.

By the way, I did get SVDT working and I'm very happy with it. The only thing that bothered me a bit (which may seem silly) is how ugly the icon was. I like everything looking nice and clean, which is why I downloaded SMDH-Creator back when I first got homebrew working on Ver. 10.1 - so I could make my own icons. Since I was only making it for myself, I just made it say "saves" instead of SVDT. In case you or anyone else wants to use it, I'll upload it here (I was going to upload the modified SMDH, but it won't allow it). It matches the colors I used with the gridlauncher version of the homebrew launcher...

It's no problem. memchunkhax2 is just the name of the exploit it describes; it was first discussed publicly during that hacking talk smea and a couple of other guys were in. It's not something you need to understand in order to get all of this junk working. Rather, the developers who made programs using it are the ones who need to understand it ;) If you're still interested, though, there's a thread around here somewhere that mentions the talk and gives links to it.

emuNAND is just what the name impiles: emulated NAND. The NAND of the system is where all the system files are at. This is why messing with the NAND and installing things to it is considered risky - if something goes wrong, and something in the NAND gets corrupted, welp, maybe a brick. Now, if you're messing with emuNAND, no problem, even if things screw up. In sysNAND, if you installed a corrupted system file by accident, you're not going to have much luck recovering from that. But in emuNAND? No biggie, just restore a backup (always backup before you install something potentially risky and you're good). Think of it in terms of emulation and Pokemon games: if you performed certain glitches in Red/Blue, like the ZZAZZ glitch and messed up a step or saved at the wrong time, your cart became useless for regular play. But in an emulator, you just need to reload the ROM.

I say all of that to say it's basically a safeguard and a playground for anything hacking. emuNAND is the first choice for most people who use custom firmware to load, as you can load custom firmware with sysNAND, but you know. As for if you want it, it really depends on what you're looking to do with homebrew and your 3DS. Exclusively, those with emuNAND+CFW can install unsigned .cias (think faster running homebrew, VC injects, non-legit .cias, etc.), and maybe a few other minor things. It also makes some things easier, like cheating in specific games (the NTR CFW has a plug-in system that allows you to do this). What I use it for is mainly homebrew games that have .cias, GBA VC injects and other VC injects. Since most of my media is physical, it generally doesn't matter what system version I'm using.

For what you seem to want, it might be the thing for you, since you said you might want to access the Japanese eShop. Personally I don't know a way that it can be done, as I don't understand why you cannot already (unless you just mean access the eShop at all). While eShop access is possible on lower firmwares, you couldn't access it in the first place unless you were on <=9.2. And if you were on <=9.2, you'd just set up emuNAND and update that. The easiest way is to just get your emuNAND to the latest firmware, as all CFWs out there support 10.5 emuNAND on either 3DS.

If you choose to downgrade, read up on those threads that talk about it a lot (even if they're like 50+ pages; knowledge is your best asset here). You're right in that it's never 100% safe as you read, but there's a better version, even, than safesysupdater. See, safesysupdater is based on an older version of sysupdater that was modified early into the whole downgrading hype. Sure, that version could work, but if something went wrong, there's a very good chance you'd have a hard brick. Later on, other versions were made to take this into account. The earlier build(s) (TuxSH's) uninstalled all the files first, and then installed all the update files. The later build(s) (julien20's) first installed all the version relative safemode titles first, then uninstalled one title, then installed the version relative version of that title, rinse and repeat. So with julien20's version, while there's still a small chance of hard bricking your console, to my understanding most of that is due to user error and not the program's error. Regardless, do a lot of research before you make your decision - this is a good thread to read when you have the time: https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-downgrading-your-3ds.407888/page-133

Also, glad to hear you got SVDT to work. Nifty little thing, ain't it?

Reactions: OldSchoolGamer

OldSchoolGamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, thanks again for all of that. I'll probably start looking into all of that next week, and based on what you said, I'll be using the one from julien20. What exactly is CFW? Does the FW stand for firmware?

For what you seem to want, it might be the thing for you, since you said you might want to access the Japanese eShop. Personally I don't know a way that it can be done, as I don't understand why you cannot already (unless you just mean access the eShop at all). While eShop access is possible on lower firmwares, you couldn't access it in the first place unless you were on <=9.2. And if you were on <=9.2, you'd just set up emuNAND and update that. The easiest way is to just get your emuNAND to the latest firmware, as all CFWs out there support 10.5 emuNAND on either 3DS.
Yeah, that's the main reason I just decided I'll be going ahead with the downgrade. The reason I can't access the eShop is just because I don't have the latest firmware. I've used the Japanese eShop before and bought games that were on sale, and a couple DSiWare games that were being discontinued and were already gone from the NA shop (of course, in Japan they sent out a Notification letting people know ahead of time - but not anywhere else in the world, just like some WiiWare games that are gone now). Anyway, I'd like to be able to purchase DLC for a couple games too, which is handled through the eShop.

Think of it in terms of emulation and Pokemon games: if you performed certain glitches in Red/Blue, like the ZZAZZ glitch and messed up a step or saved at the wrong time, your cart became useless for regular play. But in an emulator, you just need to reload the ROM.
I understand what you're saying, of course, but I've never enjoyed the main series Pokémon games. I beat Red and Blue when they first came out, and it was one of the only games I've ever decided to sell right after. Even though I was still a kid, I thought the RPG aspect felt way too childish. I was already used to the awesome RPGs on NES and SNES, and playing Pokémon had not felt like a rewarding experience, compared to the power and intensity of emotional resonance that I'd felt from them.

I have liked many of the spinoff titles, though, like the pinball games, Conquest, and some of the Mystery Dungeon ones. I've been playing Rumble World too, since it's free, and now that I have homebrew working again, I wanted to use the save tool (https://gbatemp.net/threads/pokemon-rumble-world-diamonds-p-tool.386526/) on the Japanese version to give myself 3000 bought diamonds, and like one million P. Unfortunately, I'm still using a laptop from ten years ago, so when I try to open it I get an error about the .NET framework. I don't know if you've tried it out or not, but if so I was wondering if you'd mind editing my save for me. I could upload it (I think you'd need the '00slot00' file) on here if that'd work, or whatever will if not.

Last edited by OldSchoolGamer,
D

Deleted User

Cool, thanks again for all of that. I'll probably start looking into all of that next week, and based on what you said, I'll be using the one from julien20. What exactly is CFW? Does the FW stand for firmware?

Yeah, that's the main reason I just decided I'll be going ahead with the downgrade. The reason I can't access the eShop is just because I don't have the latest firmware. I've used the Japanese eShop before and bought games that were on sale, and a couple DSiWare games that were being discontinued and were already gone from the NA shop (of course, in Japan they sent out a Notification letting people know ahead of time - but not anywhere else in the world, just like some WiiWare games that are gone now). Anyway, I'd like to be able to purchase DLC for a couple games too, which is handled through the eShop.

I understand what you're saying, of course, but I've never enjoyed the main series Pokémon games. I beat Red and Blue when they first came out, and it was one of the only games I've ever decided to sell right after. Even though I was still a kid, I thought the RPG aspect felt way too childish. I was already used to the awesome RPGs on NES and SNES, and playing Pokémon had not felt like a rewarding experience, compared to the power and intensity of emotional resonance that I'd felt from them.

I have liked many of the spinoff titles, though, like the pinball games, Conquest, and some of the Mystery Dungeon ones. I've been playing Rumble World too, since it's free, and now that I have homebrew working again, I wanted to use the save tool (https://gbatemp.net/threads/pokemon-rumble-world-diamonds-p-tool.386526/) on the Japanese version to give myself 3000 bought diamonds, and like one million P. Unfortunately, I'm still using a laptop from ten years ago, so when I try to open it I get an error about the .NET framework. I don't know if you've tried it out or not, but if so I was wondering if you'd mind editing my save for me. I could upload it (I think you'd need the '00slot00' file) on here if that'd work, or whatever will if not.

CFW is custom firmware, yeah. Basically, custom firmware does different things depending on, well, the custom firmware, haha. The ones that I remember are as follows:

rxTools
ReiNAND
CakesFTW
NTR CFW
Pasta/Mini Pasta (don't know if there's a difference)

They all have different features, while some share features. Some are more complex, some simpler, you get it. CakesFTW and NTR CFW are cool because they have a patch/plugin system that you can easily use to make patches/plugins to modify the CFW. Also, NTR CFW is actually run inside whatever CFW you're using, so that's nice.

I understand your eShop woes now, heh. 10.5 is hackable to the point where you can use out of region games, but if you want to enter the eShop at any given time and they patch everything in a later version, then it makes sense to downgrade.

Only reason I mentioned Pokemon was because it stuck out in my mind in regards to this. My brother bought a copy of Red from EB Games once and the game was seriously bugged - we managed to erase the file, but upon starting a new one, Oak just stood there, mouth open, spouting out random 'cries' and staring into our souls. I totally understand what you're saying though - there are RPGs with better/more complex battling systems.

I haven't bothered with the tool, but if you PM me the file I'll take a look at the program and see what I can do for ya. And, if I run into the same problem and manage to fix it, I'll let you know, haha. Seems like you might just need to update the framework though.

Reactions: OldSchoolGamer

OldSchoolGamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't bothered with the tool, but if you PM me the file I'll take a look at the program and see what I can do for ya. And, if I run into the same problem and manage to fix it, I'll let you know, haha. Seems like you might just need to update the framework though.

Cool, I'll do that within the next hour. I don't actually know what updating the framework means, I was just going by people's response to another post somewhere. They said that his version of Windows was too old...

OldSchoolGamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMG320.jpg

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat