ROM Hack custom-install - Install CIAs to a Nintendo 3DS SD card entirely on PC

ihaveahax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This release has various changes that have been sitting in the repo for the past few months that I've decided should be put into an easily accessible release.

Note for Windows 7 users: Future releases may be built with Python 3.9 which drops support for Windows 7!

custom-install 2.1b4
  • Show 300 application warning with the cli script
    • This fixes a minor issue with an exception being raised at the end (but it didn't actually affect anything): #42
  • Auto-set boot9.bin and seeddb.bin if found in SD:/gm9/out (movable.sed was already detected this way): #43 Thanks @Jisxu!
  • Force reading save3ds_fuse output as UTF-8 all the time
    • This should hopefully fix #41 but I haven't fully tested it. In particular this seems to affect Windows systems set to Chinese.
custom-install-finalize 1.6
https://github.com/ihaveamac/custom-install/releases/tag/v2.1b4

Bacer

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
custom-install 2.1b4
The new version just won't start. When I click on ci-gui, nothing happens. I have the latest version of Windows 10
UPD: This is due to the cyrillic in the file path. There were no problems with this in the previous version.

Last edited by Bacer,

ihaveahax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The new version just won't start. When I click on ci-gui, nothing happens. I have the latest version of Windows 10
UPD: This is due to the cyrillic in the file path. There were no problems with this in the previous version.
This is strange, I don't know what could have changed to break this. I'll try some stuff out soon.

Last edited by ihaveahax,

wahakar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
somehow it doesn’t work anymore? I don’t know what’s the issue here
I use mac with terminal
ERRON 3
turned out to be my mac after all.

Last edited by wahakar,

wahakar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use older version but I had no issues before, I want to know what went wrong. and why it doesn't work anymore? any advice

wahakar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NO, its not a SD card issue, just test it with another card.. the way I see it either the python or my mac acting funny. thanks for your feedback.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Instead of editing your old post to remove the description of your problem, maybe you could explain what you did so that other people encountering a similar difficulty might be able to benefit from your experience?

AdmiralBloo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, custom finalize is not working for me, it comes up with "?", it worked before and now it just stops after installing a bunch of games. Is this a common issue and how do I fix it?

Update: It happens often and very annoying, hope there's a fix.

Last edited by AdmiralBloo,

ihaveahax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Guys, custom finalize is not working for me, it comes up with "?", it worked before and now it just stops after installing a bunch of games. Is this a common issue and how do I fix it?

Update: It happens often and very annoying, hope there's a fix.
This sounds like an issue with the SD card. Try testing it: https://3ds.hacks.guide/h2testw-(windows)

Doux91

Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
You really worked a lot with this since last release, you must do the program remember the last folder opened, separated from sd and folders, because this newer does not remember it, it always start in custom install folder, detect boot9 and seeddb in sd is the best, thanks for that, something very good is to see the space used in the sd and how much need the cias that will be installed, but I think I am requesting too much It seems now CI needs visual c++ 2015 x86 to be open

ihaveahax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the final release of 2.1 that includes safer installs, as well as various other QoL improvements.

Note for Windows 7 users: Future releases may be built with Python 3.9 which drops support for Windows 7!

custom-install 2.1
  • Installs are written to a visible temporary folder before being moved into place. If an install fails in the middle, it won't leave a half-written title buried in the Nintendo 3DS folder
  • All titles are loaded and parsed at the beginning so a broken one won't stop the others
  • Title contents are verified during install and an error is shown if verification fails
  • Titles that succeeded and failed to be installed are shown at the end
  • Free space is checked to make sure all titles can be installed
  • cifinish.bin is loaded and checked for corruption early (if it exists), which can happen if an issue exists on the SD card filesystem.
  • CDN contents can be installed directly
  • File list replaced with a column list that shows Title ID and title name, and is sorted alphabetically
  • Show a warning if more than 300 applications (not all titles, but executable ones) are detected
  • Create title.db and import.db if missing (#40)
  • Auto-set boot9.bin and seeddb.bin if found in SD:/gm9/out (movable.sed was already detected this way): #43 Thanks @Jisxu!
  • Show an error if id0 isn't found (#49)
  • Force reading save3ds_fuse output as UTF-8 all the time (hopefully fixing issues on Windows systems that aren't set to English)
  • Delete cifinish.bin if no errors occurred during ticket install
  • Skip installing tickets for titles that don't need it: #46 #47 Thanks @TimmSkiller!
https://github.com/ihaveamac/custom-install/releases/tag/v2.1

AdmiralBloo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is the final release of 2.1 that includes safer installs, as well as various other QoL improvements.

custom-install 2.1
  • Installs are written to a visible temporary folder before being moved into place. If an install fails in the middle, it won't leave a half-written title buried in the Nintendo 3DS folder
  • All titles are loaded and parsed at the beginning so a broken one won't stop the others
  • Title contents are verified during install and an error is shown if verification fails
  • Titles that succeeded and failed to be installed are shown at the end
  • Free space is checked to make sure all titles can be installed
  • cifinish.bin is loaded and checked for corruption early (if it exists), which can happen if an issue exists on the SD card filesystem.
  • CDN contents can be installed directly
  • File list replaced with a column list that shows Title ID and title name, and is sorted alphabetically
  • Show a warning if more than 300 applications (not all titles, but executable ones) are detected
  • Create title.db and import.db if missing (#40)
  • Show an error if id0 isn't found (#49)
  • Force reading save3ds_fuse output as UTF-8 all the time (hopefully fixing issues on Windows systems that aren't set to English)
  • Delete cifinish.bin if no errors occurred during ticket install
  • Skip installing tickets for titles that don't need it: #46 #47 Thanks @TimmSkiller!
https://github.com/ihaveamac/custom-install/releases/tag/v2.1
The new update works for me fine now. Everything installed nicely, thank you so much. Do you know how a 2ds can play new 2ds games? I download XC but it doesn't work with the old 2ds system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.