Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
nano351 said:
Rydian said:
SifJar said:
But PSJailbreak was legitimate, and it is largely due to it IMO that "jailbreak" is starting to become a term for consoles as well as iOS devices, which is where is should have stayed if you ask me.
I'm actually welcoming the term "jailbreak" because it has the possibility to tie legal precedent...
you can't just give something a name and expect to get legal precedent from doing so. If that were the case then rapists would never go to jail...
Currently modding systems is not blatantly illegal in most countries.

http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2010/Librari...-Statement.html
"Jailbreaking" has been deemed legal in the US, and it's the same sort of situation as modding game consoles.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
DiscostewSM said:
spinal_cord said:
Veho said:
BlueStar said:
And 'flashcarts' referred to the rewritable flash memory found in GBA back up carts, but people still refer to NDS devices which use removable storage like microSD cards as flashcarts.
I thought these new ones were flashcards.

Flash cart = cartridge = circuit board encased in plastic like most video game systems.
Flash card = card = bare circuit board without an sort of case, like micro SD.

Every single flash memory device for the GBA and NDS has been a cart, not a card. It's like calling a dog an elephant.

I think you're interpretation of what carts and cards are is off.

sdcardfront.jpg

tyfone-sidetap-microsd.jpg

The top one is a circuit board of an SD card without the plastic surrounding it. It's just much thinner than your average circuit board like GBA games contain. The bottom one is of Micro SD without the casing, which is much thinner.

IMO, I think GBA games are cartridges while the DS games and beyond are cards based on how they operate. The GBA accesses data on the carts like they were an actual extension of the system's own memory, complete with direct access to the data with pointer addressing. With DS cards, data on them can't be accessed that way, but is done through protocols much like how an SD card works.

Lol.

The words cart and card are not descriptions of the way memory is accessed, but the physical appearance (or not) of a protective case.

In any hardware, not just video games, a cartridge is something with a protective shell. So, if something has a protective shell and is designed as a smaller part of something else -- printer cartridge, ammunition cartridge, ink cartridge etc. -- then it is in fact a cartridge. A DS cart, has a circuit board with components and is held in a protective plastic case therefore it is a cartridge. Just because the memory on the device is accessed in a slightly different way, does not remove the physical plastic case.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo call their GBA 'Game Paks' cartridges and their DS games cards.

QUOTE said:
The Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL play Nintendo DS Game Cards inserted into the Game Card slot.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/d...a/gameCards.jsp
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/downloads/ds_english.pdf

QUOTEThis Cartridge Slot Cover will only fit in the Game Boy Advance cartridge slot on the Nintendo DS Lite. It will not work with the original style Nintendo DS.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/d...accessories.jsp

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
Nintendo call their GBA 'Game Paks' cartridges and their DS games cards.

QUOTE said:
The Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL play Nintendo DS Game Cards inserted into the Game Card slot.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/d...a/gameCards.jsp
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/downloads/ds_english.pdf

QUOTEThis Cartridge Slot Cover will only fit in the Game Boy Advance cartridge slot on the Nintendo DS Lite. It will not work with the original style Nintendo DS.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/d...accessories.jsp

Well, I guess, just as in their DSiWare/3DSWare pricing, Nintendo are wrong.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, OK then. Be sure to phone them up and inform them that they have to start calling a device they created, patented and named something else because that's not what it's really called. I'll get on to Apple and tell them that their phone is really called an Iphone because the first letter of a proper noun is capitalised.

QUOTE said:
So, if something has a protective shell and is designed as a smaller part of something else -- printer cartridge, ammunition cartridge, ink cartridge etc. -- then it is in fact a cartridge.

Is my USB drive a cartridge? Is my phone battery, a smaller part of my phone in a protective case, a "power cartridge"?

If Nintendo invent a game format and call it a card, it's a card. Sorry.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
Oh, OK then. Be sure to phone them up and inform them that they have to start calling a device they created, patented and named something else because that's not what it's really called. I'll get on to Apple and tell them that their phone is really called an Iphone because the first letter of a proper noun is capitalised.

QUOTE said:
So, if something has a protective shell and is designed as a smaller part of something else -- printer cartridge, ammunition cartridge, ink cartridge etc. -- then it is in fact a cartridge.

Is my USB drive a cartridge? Is my phone battery, a smaller part of my phone in a protective case, a "power cartridge"?

Yes, technically. Why? do you cal it a USB CARD?

QUOTE(BlueStar @ Oct 4 2011, 12:19 PM)
If Nintendo invent a game format and call it a card, it's a card. Sorry.

Sounds reasonable but I'm fairly sure that Fairchild invented the game cartridge, the physical design has been the same ever since (circuit board containing program code inside a plastic shell). I'll stick with 30+ years of tradition thank you very much.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
spinal_cord said:

No, but I certainly don't call it a cartridge.

What did you say you were saving to when you copied your game to one of these?

41JRAZ23F4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
spinal_cord said:

No, but I certainly don't call it a cartridge.

What did you say you were saving to when you copied your game to one of these?

41JRAZ23F4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I didn't, I never owned a Playstation 1,2 or 3. All my saves went onto the game cartridge or floppy disc.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
OK, assuming (conveniently) that, as a gamer, you've never, ever had to say, write or think about a PlayStation memory storage device ever, what would you call it now?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
spinal_cord said:
So, if something has a protective shell and is designed as a smaller part of something else -- printer cartridge, ammunition cartridge, ink cartridge etc. -- then it is in fact a cartridge. A DS cart, has a circuit board with components and is held in a protective plastic case therefore it is a cartridge.
But according to that definition, a Compact Flash card is in fact a cartridge, and so is a Memory Stick. But they are also cards.

unsure.gif

I'll just keep calling the DS thingies flashcards, and the GBA (and older system ones) flashcarts.

Flamestar666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has to be, the most retarded argument I have seen all fucking week.
"Cut vs Uncut" doesn't have shit on this.

Wouldn't "PlayStation memory storage" be suffice?

Personally, I hope that flashcarts fail on the 3DS, at least for commercial games. I loves me some homebrew though. I'm assuming if you give anyone enough time, someone will find a way to pirate games. Just my opinion though.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
OK, assuming (conveniently) that, as a gamer, you've never, ever had to say, write or think about a PlayStation memory storage device ever, what would you call it now?

Memory pack, as it was called on the N64. However, although I see your point, I do not accept that it is correct. Just because a large company uses a different name for something that has already been in common use for 35 years, does not make that the correct name for it. Much like the 1000 vs 1024 memory counting debate. I grew up in a time where a cartridge was a cartridge and a megabyte was 1024 kilobytes which was 1024 bytes which was 8 bits. Telling me that now I must call a cart a card just because Nintendo said so, or an online radio show a podcast just because Apple said so will not work on me.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I'm the same age as you and we grew up calling them cartridges for the same reason - because some large company decided that's what they were, not packs, boards or whatever else they could have completely legitimately have been called.

And why do you call N64 memory modules 'packs" when those devices fall under your definition of cartridge? Just because that's what Nintendo called them at the time?

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
well I agree with spinal about the naming of embedded cards. A cartridge will still be a cartridge. I knew too 4 years ago those small embedded DS backup chipsets as flashcarts since the hardware involved speaks for itself. This device being called Flashcard nowadays seems to be just for marketing purposes. (my thought..)

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
spinal_cord said:
Telling me that now I must call a cart a card just because Nintendo said so
This is a cart. If you insist on using terms "correctly", you should use the correct term, cartridge. "Cart" is a deliberate misuse of the word for the sake of abbreviation, but despite it being recognizable in context it's not the correct term either.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Coto said:
This device being called Flashcard nowadays seems to be just for marketing purposes. (my thought..)

What kind of 'marketing purpose' does it serve? And "nowadays"? My first DS back-up device was a slot2 supercard.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Veho said:
spinal_cord said:
Telling me that now I must call a cart a card just because Nintendo said so
This is a cart. If you insist on using terms "correctly", you should use the correct term, cartridge. "Cart" is a deliberate misuse of the word for the sake of abbreviation, but despite it being recognizable in context it's not the correct term either.
Although this argument is fun, I have better things to do at the moment, but I leave you with one last point. An abbreviation of an items original name is not the same as renaming it.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
spinal_cord said:
An abbreviation of an items original name is not the same as renaming it.
It is when the abbreviation is an already existing word with its own meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn