Status
Not open for further replies.

Helper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iNFiNiTY said:
There's too many questions about the final thing when clearly there is not even a 'product' anywhere close to complete yet. Right now the Crown3DS doesn't exist frankly.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with cryptography. With "traditional" cryptography, you input unencrypted data, or clear text, and a key to a function and you get encrypted data, or cipher text. If you want to decrypt the data, you input the encrypted data and the same key into a function and you get the unencrypted data out. With public-key cryptography (RSA is an public-key cipher), you input the clear text and key "A" into a function and get encrypted data. When you want to decrypt the data, you input the data and key "B" into a function.

So (presumably, as the general public doesn't know exactly how the 3DS cryptography scheme works, as far as I know) a developer gives Nintendo the unencrypted game image to Nintendo who signs the image with their private key, and gives the developer the cipher text. This cipher text is what's stored on the game cards. The 3DS system then inputs the cipher text and the public key to a function which returns the clear text.

Ideally (for Nintendo), the private key and the public key will remain secret. Theoretically, either key could be discovered. The 3DS has to store the public key somewhere, making it theoretically possible to trick the system into revealing it (with some sort of hack). The private key only exists "at" Nintendo, making it far more difficult to discover (i.e. you'd need an insider pretty high up).

With the public key, data can be decrypted. With the private key, data can be encrypted.

Of course, this is all assuming that the games are simply protected with RSA. In reality, it's probably not that simple of a scheme.

After I wrote my first post, I realized that to modify code or data you would need the private key. Regardless, I find the idea of this "flashcard" (assuming it's real) rather exciting on it's own, and more so when you consider the potential possibilities of RE'ing it.

uriyasama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iNFiNiTY said:
I said it doesn't exist because the video was just a proof of concept of an exploit that only works with one game. There is no flashcart yet, it's not some deeper meaning - there is no product.

While I believe the Crown3DS is real with all my heart, I still cannot see how the video shows that it's real they could have took the insides of a dead or alive deimensions cart and put it in a Street Fighter cart add some motherboards and such to make it look professional and cool and tell us it can only run one game at a time.

andibad

Soon™
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
why is just work on 1 cart only or 1 ROM game only, because some 3DS cart is have some key to detect by 3DS is as original cart type. that why is only 1 game is working. on video is just prof is success to detect a fake cart as original one, in market is have more 1 type key ... is AP on hardware and not on software~ so is great if can pass 1 type of 4 type or more... -sorry if i wrong i just newbie on 3DS hacking XD

romeoondaline

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So i honestly don't believe this is real for numerous of reasons:
1. There has been NO update or news from the 3DSCrown team whatsoever about the flashcard ever since they have said they created a flashcard(sure there might have been some emails but most of them seem automated)

2. The video they posted of the flashcard "working" has so many flaws, where was that board connected to? How do we know that it wasn't connected to the actual splinter cell game? (all that jazz)

3. They said they that the this method does not work with ALL of the games, but that doesn't mean that they could post another video of a DIFFERENT game working (whatever other game does work aside splinter cell)

4. This goes back to number one but all they have been doing is adding people on facebook and people are just 'following' them on twitter, no picture update, no video, no NOTHING! It's like they really DID have something going on but then something or someone halted them from doing ANYTHING at all. (maybe they realized a BIG flaw in their flashcard that caused major damage to the 3DS, and they are just too proud to admit it, or maybe they think they can fix it soon and then release the card, WHO knows)

5. If this was really a joke it would explain alot of things, but i keep asking myself why would anyone do all that work just to trick people. But honestly in this world i wouldn't doubt anything. (this is just a thought, but i was thinking to myself what if nintendo themselves did this, why? because if they could halt the production of flashcard for even a day it would benefit them, For example: say nintendo really DID do this so, this would make all the other flashcard makers [such as M3, and R4] wait for the "Crown3DS" to be out so they could see how they did it and make an improved version. But in reality if there IS no flashcard in progress all the other makers would just be stuck in waiting, therefore halting the production of a 3DS flashcard for a little while longer. BUT AGAIN that was JUST a thought)

i really would like to be proven wrong, but it's been 2 weeks with NO updates what so ever, all there is are those 3 crappy pictures on facebook and twitter and that 1 video, nothing new has been said or uploaded, no word whatsoever. i DO wonder what would happen if everyone with this topic on their site marked the Crown3DS as a fake and moved on, would the crown3ds team THEN post something to reel us back in? Anyways i know i have alot of flaws in my thoughts, but this Crown3DS thing has just as much. I'm tired of waking up to check the news on this, with no update and every time i go on their site it says 50%...like what does that even mean?!?

sychotix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its actually a decent strat to do what they did. They created a ton of hype over what they "have made." They get the public to discuss how it might work, possibly giving them ideas, input, and whatever. It is then released, and the public begins to rage again with a bunch of "I told you so!" comments, thus increasing the hype.

That being said, I'm still not sure that this is legit or not. The general accepted concept spawned by rumor seems to be that the cart is being emulated by the chip. This does seem completely possible, as long as you can get a 1 - 1 copy of the cart. It requires no encryption or decryption, just putting bytes where they need to be placed.

I do find it funny that people are raging at the video's being fake based on information that is actually a rumor. If you did not figure it out by the video, and it was not said specifically from the "dev team," then take the information with a grain of salt.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently the Crown3DS website is finished or at minimum up and running, although on the site we know says 50%.

http://www.crown3dscard.net/

Although all that website does is summarize what the Crown3DS guys have already said except they added in now it supports US/EU/JP consoles although they say they are still working on the region lock.

Also for those curious they've made all kinda of other websites for the Crown3DS :

http://crown3ds.co.uk/
http://crown3ds.org/
http://crown3ds.it/
http://crown3ds.nl/

I'm not saying this is real or not but I thought I'd give you guys a heads up of these urls.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps the crown3ds team was too quick to announce their product, but if they're on the right track, you can't blame them for creating hype and demand early on. I'd just like to see at least two games compatible, and a video showing the card being flashed from one game to the other.

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
Helper said:
iNFiNiTY said:
There's too many questions about the final thing when clearly there is not even a 'product' anywhere close to complete yet. Right now the Crown3DS doesn't exist frankly.
lots of text

Not sure why you typed all this up i'm aware of how encryption works. This is the DSi hybrid filesystem which may well have some elements that are reused in 3DS. http://dsibrew.org/wiki/NDS_Format

Gouka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hmm, dunno what to think about this.
On the one hand, it would be nice to test some games you would not actually buy or you were not sure about.
But on the other hand Piracy could grow and developers with good ideas would just try to avoid the possibility to make worse sales than they would do without Piracy and therefore leave Nintendo alone with those average/bad games.

For me, I don't need a flashcard yet. I feel kinda sad about those news. Hopefully this will aproved to be wrong.

Hackers, please let Nintendo grow with good ideas and good games.

Gouka

unz

Chaotic Neutral
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Perspective: This whole shitstorm was caused by nothing more than a proof of concept video and a logo with 3DS in it.

Y'all been troll'd hard.

Rankio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking at the website and the use of "jailbroke Nintendo 3ds", I do not have much confidence in this product being real.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rankio said:
Looking at the website and the use of "jailbroke Nintendo 3ds", I do not have much confidence in this product being real.
Just because jailbreak has become a familiar term with modding a system doesn't mean it's illegitimate.

I'm just going with a false until proven true view here, proof of concept looks promising, but I'm not expecting anything until I see an actual working 3DS flashcart.
And that's that really.

kradrats

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
Rankio said:

I'm just going with a false until proven true view here, proof of concept looks promising, but I'm not expecting anything until I see an actual working 3DS flashcart.
And that's that really.

That's pretty much the attitude everyone should take. They really haven't provided enough proof to show that this is genuine. And with stuff like this, an elaborate hoax is never out of the question. No reason for anyone to go holding your breath.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i ia really thinking that this could be real but the only thing that concerns me is the lack of ic chips on tht board ,i mean it looks like there might be a couple with the writing on them smudged that are smt/smd components , but then when you look at the board also you dont really see that many traces on the board where the little grey and whit spots that look like they could be ic's are ,for the most part it looks like a bunch of large components. resistor capacitors ans transistors , and maybe a couple smt/smd ic's but the quality of the video is too grainy to really tell , so does anyone know if those are ic chips on there? the little grey white spots that look like smt/smd components?
they could also have just desoldered the chips from the splinter cell cart and soldered them to that board and then just extended the wires
i thought if the devboard was real we woul see something like an actell chip or something on there,though it coule be on the opposite side of the board

cojiro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
totalnoob617 said:
i ia really thinking that this could be real but the only thing that concerns me is the lack of ic chips on tht board ,i mean it looks like there might be a couple with the writing on them smudged that are smt/smd components , but then when you look at the board also you dont really see that many traces on the board where the little grey and whit spots that look like they could be ic's are ,for the most part it looks like a bunch of large components. resistor capacitors ans transistors , and maybe a couple smt/smd ic's but the quality of the video is too grainy to really tell , so does anyone know if those are ic chips on there? the little grey white spots that look like smt/smd components?
they could also have just desoldered the chips from the splinter cell cart and soldered them to that board and then just extended the wires
i thought if the devboard was real we woul see something like an actell chip or something on there,though it coule be on the opposite side of the board
you're [most likely] not going to see any fpga or asic on this board for a variety of reasons. the first being cost. also, from what I understand this is attempting to clone a commercial cartridge. thus nothing will be needed to "trick" the system the way a drivechip would.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To me it looks like there is at least one controller on the board and the blatantly soldered chip looks like memory of some sort (NOR flash?). Alternately, it could be just what you said and basically a rerouting of the SC chips on a 'dev/prototype board' that has no purpose other than hoaxing people into thinking it is a real project that is viable.

But enough of beating a dead horse on both of the sides of this topic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Ninty can still make money filing false DMCAs.