Hacking Crap, easy to use channel creator

fuxxi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too bad, the documentation about the cfg file (crap.cfg) is very limited.

Im trying to find out, what exactly

discIdPlaceHolder = "CRAPPY";
configPlaceHolder = "CFGCNF";

is for?

I want to add GX to the list.. no problem about modding the crap.cfg, but there are no informations about the parameters..

Could anybody post some more details about the parameters and a gx configuration?

Is GX supported anyway?

edit: Or is it possible to add a forwarder to an usb loader? How would that look like for GX? More examples would be nice.. :-|

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
discIdPlaceHolder is the placeholder you leave on the loader dol for Crap to replace... Crap replaces that literal with the Disc Id of the game.

configPlaceHolder is the placeholder for the start of the configuration string in the loader dol...

Here is the source for the modified Narolez forwarder for the Configurable Usb Loader : http://code.google.com/p/crapwii/source/br...=svn17&r=16

see CRAPPY there in line 206 and USBCNF in line 203

As an example, to set the "Verbose log on" option in the loader dol, Crap does this.
1. Searches for the configPlaceHolder (in the above case it's USBCNF)
2. Sets the next character to 1 in the dol. (since the very first character in the configuration string is for verbose log feature)

In the configuration string there stays fixed places for various options, to see the full list take a look at : http://code.google.com/p/crapwii/source/br...source/config.h

Forwarder for the Configurable usb loader is possible because programmers of this loader added autoboot through params function in their loader. Unless GX or any other game loader has such a thing a forwarder is not possible.

The other loaders in the crap are not forwarders by the way, the dol inside the packed wad is the actual loader... You can see the examples of such loaders again in the source tree of Crap in the googlecode...

A bit more about the configuration stuff I explained before (of course it will only make sense if you will port a loader) : http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showto...t&p=2115176

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
If you have patched iso then just select Usb Loader 1.6 and under the fixes select 002 fix and create the channel...

If you don't have patched disc currently the only way is using configurable usb loader forwarder (configurable forwarder in the loaders) ... You should have conf. usb loader installed and working of course for this...

sidenote : because currently Crap's loader doesn't support arbitrary alt-dols... you can only use alt-dols that are on the disc to put it another way... but using the patched Iso works just fine...

DjSim1

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
djsim1.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Italy
WiiCrazy said:
If you have patched iso then just select Usb Loader 1.6 and under the fixes select 002 fix and create the channel...

If you don't have patched disc currently the only way is using configurable usb loader forwarder (configurable forwarder in the loaders) ... You should have conf. usb loader installed and working of course for this...

sidenote : because currently Crap's loader doesn't support arbitrary alt-dols... you can only use alt-dols that are on the disc to put it another way... but using the patched Iso works just fine...

I have original game..
I dumped the game into the Hard Disk, as each my games.
smile.gif

I will make an attempt by setting configurable forwarder..
Thanks!

EDIT:
Tested.
I don't like this method.
With other games i simply click on the channel and then the game starts.
Instead so start Usb Loader GX and I select the game.
I already have the WiiFlow Forwarder Channel, I first to initiate what..

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
oggzee will add silent boot feature for autoboot games so watch out the configurable usb loader releases...

when I return from my vacation I hope I can add built-in NSMBW fix and arbitrary alt-dol support...

By the way as I said before it's always possible to patch the game and use that. There is no harm in doing that since the game already runs on top of cios which has trucha... And I don't think you can use the copy in your hdd with original nintendo ios... so...

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
WiiCrazy said:
Well it's not too long, it's till monday. Just a family visit still inside Turkey, 6-8 hours from where I live.
(Istanbul)

I'll still be online though I won't be able to code.

Enjoy your holiday and don't worry about being online and not being able to code, that describes 99% of us here
tongue.gif

digiscum

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DjSim1 said:
Tested.
I don't like this method.
With other games i simply click on the channel and then the game starts.
Instead so start Usb Loader GX and I select the game.
I already have the WiiFlow Forwarder Channel, I first to initiate what..

I think the configurable forwarder created using Crap is pointing to /apps/usbloader by default, and perhaps you have usb loader gx as "/apps/usbloader".

From WiiCrazy's source, the particular configurable forwarder packed inside Crap is using the following sequence:
{"fat:/apps/usbloader/boot.dol"},
{"fat:/apps/usbloader_cfg/boot.dol"},

This sequence is different from the latest configurable forwarder out there (I haven't checked when/whether the sequence has been changed recently)
{"fat:/apps/usbloader_cfg/boot.dol"},
{"fat:/apps/usbloader/boot.dol"},

So, if you don't want to get into any compilation of programs, make sure your configurable loader is using "/apps/usbloader" (of course this may affect other forwarders you have).

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Wiicrazy, check out what oggzee said re his latest release

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=147...t&p=2425292

" * If the loader is used to start a game directly
(from a channel created with crap or similar tools)
and option: intro=0 is specified then no intro
and no progress is displayed until the game is started"

Where do I need to type intro=0? or is this something you are going to build directly into crap?

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Ok, here is again a quick loader addition... doing it the right way I mean configuring the behaviour through Verbose log option needs a bit of gui changes which I have no time at the moment... Instead for the time being I just rebuild the loader with the intro=0 arguments added...

Meaning, download http://crapwii.googlecode.com/files/CrapCo...WithNoIntro.rar and extract it to your Crap folder, archive contains the no intro loader & new crap.cfg file which has this loader added...

So if you want intro use "Configurable forwarder" loader, if you don't want it use "Configurable forwarder (no intro)" . If you changed your Crap.cfg file manually to fit your needs you need to add the loader into the config manually...

Btw, I didn't test since the changes were cosmetic (actually I haven't unpacked my wii yet after the vacation)

@xflak40 : could you test it?

@gil21 : yes.

@Trypa : try using wbfs. I guess it's an error with the library I'm using...

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@wiicrazy

Just tested it, and it still loaded with the intro... not sure why exactly... but I can report that it did not work

I just had an idea (one thing at a time, obviously lets get the no intro functional first
biggrin.gif
), but would it be possible to create a channel that attempts to launch a game from a wbfs drive, and if it cannot find it, attempt to launch from a FAT32 wbfs file instead (and vice verca-- in terms of priority). Or perhaps holding down certain buttons after launching the channel loads from an alternate format... or both features combined.

I think this would be great. I have friends who have both WBFS and FAT32 drives, and we swap harddrives, so this dual functionality would be perfect!

What are your thoughts? Possible?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think