Hardware Confirmed: The 3DS is region-locked

mangaTom

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I really don't care if the 3DS is region-locked or not since I only understand English and my own language.Yes there will be good jap games but you can't really enjoy those games if you don't understand a goddamn thing about it.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mangaTom said:
I really don't care if the 3DS is region-locked or not since I only understand English and my own language.Yes there will be good jap games but you can't really enjoy those games if you don't understand a goddamn thing about it.
This is where fan translations come in.
For instance: I really enjoyed Soma Bringer, but it was never localized.

However, maybe this will give some incentive for companies to LOCALIZE GAMES.

Orange_Bird

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a feeling 3DS would be following in the DSi's footsteps as far as region-lock.

It's a real bummer because I'm bilingual and like to import games (either titles that don't get released anywhere else or hot titles like pokemon that I don't want to wait for).

Region-lock is a turn off on the grounds that they're doing this with a portable, too. When I was younger I remember buying games from other countries while on summer trips for the airplane rides and stuff, but now we can't even do that.

I was going to import a 3DS from Japan on launch, but thanks to this news I'm not even going to purchase a 3DS of any region until people have found a workaround to make the console region-free even if it takes years. (And hey, the console and games may be cheaper by then too).

Georgeman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Argh... What a bad decision. OK Nintendo, let's be honest here. You CAN'T possibly release all your games on all territories. Since there are financial reasons that you can't release a number of games in specific regions, the customers could till now purchase the game from an import site and this would harm nobody. The game would get more sales from imported purchases and the customer would get what he wanted. But that's not possible anymore.

Unfortunately, I seem to be becoming more and more disappointed day by day with the 3DS. It no longer seems like this is a handheld made by Nintendo. Oh sure it might have the typical Nintendo games, but that's far from enough. I mean, ever since the days of Gameboy, the handhelds have been region-free, have had large battery lives, have had games that fit the handheld nature and didn't try to replicate the home console experience, and of course they were cheap, especially when compared to home consoles. None of this applies to 3DS.

Oh, and to those who said that they don't care about importing since they can't understand Japanese, you are obviously forgetting that you will no longer be able to play NTSC-U games with your PAL 3DS and vice versa.

TheYummyKenshin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DiscostewSM said:
If a game were to sell well in a region it was not localized for, you'd think, based on profit, that they would localize it for that region for their benefit, right? There's more to it than "profit" that everyone assumes.
Interestingly enough, this is how Elite Beat Agents was created. A good number of Ouendan games were imported showing there was a market for the series so they created a localized version in EBA. Because of the lack of region locking in the DS, they were able to find a game that would be worth localizing.

Nathan Drake said:
darkriku2000 said:
QUOTE(Nathan Drake @ Jan 11 2011, 09:32 PM)
The PS3 is region locked. Pretty sure the PS2 is region locked. Not sure if the PSP is region locked. The 360 is probably region locked, though I'm not part of that scene in any way, shape, or form.

The ps2 is region locked yes. The PSP is not, neither are the ps3 and 360. I believe that with those last 2 though that it's actually the developer's choice.

Certain features of the PS3 can be region locked. Although the games aren't (save one or two special cases), the DLC is still specific to the region for which the game was released, online play can be restricted if that specific feature is region locked, and Blu-Ray movies are for sure region locked (disc by disc). You may have to suffer a little, but at least it's not a total region lock.
If I remember correctly PS3 and 360 are region coded though so it's the devs choice to publish a game coded for a particular region. In the 360's case I believe all the Rock Band games as well as the Idolmaster series are all region locked.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Snailface said:
Got this from Yahoo Answers:

QUOTE said:
[A load of rubbish]

[eyes glaze over] I just hope the damn thing gets hacked.

It's nothing to do with piracy, it's to do with controlling distribution. Always has been. They can trial a launch in one region without it being playable in another so don't loose as much money with a flop, or gain as much bad publicity from it, and can get on with localisation if it does well. This is just how the entertainment industry has done things since the advent of cinema, but the barrier to entry got so low they had to start inventing methods to keep their hands on the controls. Video used to rely on just the format used but they added more over the years.

EDIT: Seriously, media companies really hate losing control more than money, and really hate a free market unless it's balanced in their favour.

Bunie

#1 Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goofy Time said:
Well, this sucks. Following in the stupid fucking trend of the Wii, Nintendo has decided to make the 3DS locked so it can only detect games from the region you bought the device from.

http://www.ruliweb.com/ruliboard/read.htm?...ds&main=nds

QUOTE said:
????? ?DS?DS Lite??????????????
There are no Region codes in DS and DSlite
DSi?DSi LL?3DS? ???? ????? ?????????????
But DSI, DSILL,3DS has Regioncodes.
? ????? ???? ???? ??? ??????????
The Region Codes are installed in each games and the 3DS itself.
???????? ???? ????? ?????????
If the codes dont match
???????????
You cant play
??? ?????? ????? ?????????????
If the region codes are different. For example
??? ??? ???? ??? ?? ??? ?????????
If you play a korean 3DS game with a Japanese 3DS system
?????????????????? ??????????
(or vice versa) you wont be able to play at all.

Well, now that this is confirmed, we already have one solid reason why people will begin hacking this day one. Now all we need is the second part to this; some game that's very good but wouldn't be released in all three main regions. I'm banking on it being some game Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo of Japan will release, but Nintendo of America will be dumbshits about and not release in the States. Or to play it easy, any Tales game from Namco-Bandai.

'Tis only temporary, my dear. ;3

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
sorrycostello said:
I'm actually very tempted to get a japanese launch 3DS, but I'm not sure. Anyway the release dates aren't that far away are they?

The 3DS will be in Japan in February (I thought the 26th or 27th).

But now you can't buy games on your holiday anymore. That's what I sometimes did (I still have Pokemon 'Argent').
But could this region-lock be hacked?

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm sure there's a reasone behind the entire thing and it's not about screwing up with ppl
if we get to be able to play back-up roms, there will probably be a region-hack as well

Goofy Time

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SmokeFox said:
Maybe doing this they release the best japanese games that never came to US or EU.

Nintendo can't even release their own fucking games worldwide to everyone, so what makes you think smaller companies will?

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goofy Time said:
SmokeFox said:
Maybe doing this they release the best japanese games that never came to US or EU.

Nintendo can't even release their own fucking games worldwide to everyone, so what makes you think smaller companies will?
Recognition perhaps? Something to prove?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Waflix said:
sorrycostello said:
I'm actually very tempted to get a japanese launch 3DS, but I'm not sure. Anyway the release dates aren't that far away are they?

The 3DS will be in Japan in February (I thought the 26th or 27th).

But now you can't buy games on your holiday anymore. That's what I sometimes did (I still have Pokemon 'Argent').
But could this region-lock be hacked?
Yeah but for all regions. It's only like a month away (from the JAP release date). I might import a US one (being in Europe) so the games would be cheaper and I'd get them earlier. I'd buy them online anyway.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
mangaTom said:
Nintendo's treehouse are annoyingly slow to translate American English into British English.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nollog said:
mangaTom said:
Nintendo's treehouse are annoyingly slow to translate American English into British English.

When they even bother.

rave420

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i for one, am going to wait.

once there is a flashcard that allows me to use the hardware the way i want to use it (test my games before i buy), i'll buy one.

Face it, most games i (illegaly) download are ubber crap, i play them for 10 minutes and throw out the rom. Ever once in a while, i come acorss a game so good that i decide to spend money on it.

Untill i have the chance to try before i buy, i won't be getting the 3DS. Once there are flashcards that boot comercial roms, i will get one.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
This makes an easy decision even easier. Shit price, shit battery, and now shit games (if you prefer Japanese). Waiting for the Lite and a flashcart to go with it

rave420

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
actually....
i will start saving up 1 or 2$ a day in a seperate 3DS fund, and when the thing finally gets hacked and flashcard solutions are available, i will use the money i saved up waiting for it to be hacked
biggrin.gif

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
synce said:
This makes an easy decision even easier. Shit price, shit battery, and now shit games (if you prefer Japanese). Waiting for the Lite and a flashcart to go with it
Shit price that hasn't been announced.
Shit battery that no one has tested since the 3DS isn't out anywhere yet.

Your logic is flawed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright