Confirmed: The 3DS is region-locked

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Goofy Time, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Empoleom

Empoleom GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2009
    Brazil
    I only like it, if they localize every JRPG

2. BlueStar

BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 10, 2006
    UK
    It also gives them a more accurate reflection of how successful different games are in different areas. If they spend 3 months translating a game for the European release and it sells badly, they don't know if that's because that kind of game doesn't appeal to the European market, or because everyone who can speak English has imported it, which causes problems when they try to form their strategy in different parts of the world.

That said, it's pretty stupid to have a portable system where people can't just buy a game anywhere they are to play on their way home on a plane or whatever.

3. Coconuts 500

Coconuts 500 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 8, 2010
    There is a very "reasonable" explanation to this:

Nintendo has previously stated that the 3DS will feature automatic system menu updates - if you insert a game which has a newer system menu, it will automatically update to it.

Remember the early hacking days of the Wii? When people managed to play imported games with the use of a mod chip? When doing this, and the game had a newer system menu on the disc, it would ask you to install it, and if you did - your console would get bricked because you'd get incorrect-region channels and etc.

This is what would happen on the 3DS if you were to insert an imported title. But this time, like the Wii, it wouldn't ask you to update - it WOULD update.

And Nintendo would be reluctant to include updates for every single region on a Japanese game.

4. TwinRetro

TwinRetro Former Staff

Former Staff
    Aug 29, 2008
    Djibouti
    Hiatus Hell
    Ive said it before and I will say it again.

The only (good) reason to region lock a console is if different regions use different formats (NTSC vs PAL). Since the 3DS is a portable console, it has it's own format, universal across the board. No fucking reason for a region lock.

5. BlueStar

BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 10, 2006
    UK
    And, here at least, unless your TV has a wood-effect formica finish and a remote control attached by a wire, it's unlikely to not support NTSC.

6. TwinRetro

TwinRetro Former Staff

Former Staff
    Aug 29, 2008
    Djibouti
    Hiatus Hell
    And just barely TVs here have adopted PAL frequencies as an option, and it isn't even universally accepted yet.

7. OrR

OrR Rice-megatron Expert

Nov 24, 2005
    Gambia, The
    Hildesheim/Germany
    Looks like I won't be buying any Nintendo games, then. I'll only pay for good games by independent developers and encourage everyone to do the same. If you want to play anything else, there'll hopefully be piracy for that. [​IMG]

8. DaMummy

DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 22, 2007
    United States
    Cleveland
    well, removing otherOS did it for the ps3, this will be the sole reason the 3ds will have as much piracy as nds, way to stick it up your buttholes nintendo and sony

9. Mythrix

Mythrix GBAtemp Regular

Mar 23, 2006
    Region locking sucks!

That being said, I'm still going to buy the 3DS as soon as it hits the market. I'm even considering preordering it already, but I guess I might also wait till at least closer to the release to see if any stores will sell it cheaper.

10. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    problem is tht there are some games tht never come overseas like inazuma and tales of games... nintendo are just putting themselves in more trouble for pirates and their intensity in terms of hacking

11. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    People are making a huge deal out of this.
    1. It was VERY obvious this was coming.
    2. How many of you actually import games that don't end up being sold in their country?

12. BlueStar

BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 10, 2006
    UK
    My local independant games shop stocked loads of US DS titles cheaper and sooner then the european release.

13. blubbermarble

blubbermarble GBAtemp Regular

Jul 10, 2010
    Malaysia
    Shah Alam, Malaysia
    if 3ds is region-locked, but what about the normal ds games? playing normal ds games in 3ds is region-free?

14. Sheimi

Sheimi A cute Vixen!

Oct 22, 2009
    United States
    I might buy the US 3DS. No sense of me buying the import...

15. Sven Viking

Sven Viking Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 27, 2008
    New Zealand
    I hate region locking. Guess I'll hold off on buying the 3DS, and see how releases go. Might have to import a foreign console.

16. TorNis

TorNis Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2010
    United States
    No way I am going to buy 3DS before it's hacked completely.
    All cool titles are coming at Winter 2011 and 2012 anyway.

I actually wanted to buy the games which I support, for instance Golden Sun 4, New Shin Megami Tensei Title, Etrian Odyssey IV, New Dragon Quest Title, but since europeans are fucked now, not to mention prices fail(250$ = 250 euro), what's the point of buying REAL game box then? Fuck 3DS.
    Nintendo, you fail. You just encouraged your goodie-goodie customers to actually start using piracy.

About 3DS's AP system. What if it be like in Steam, you have an account, and you must activate your games and games will be always patched? Then all pirates are fucked up unless 3DS will be torn apart completely and some "offline" mode will be invented. You know how hard is to hack Steam? I mean, of course you can have all games in Steam like not problem, but because Steam and Games are always getting patches, hackers are in a hard position, like the users, who are always forced to get a new version before they can do anything. Remember when Nintendo did 1.4.1 update? Of course if you don't update your DS because on DS YOU DON'T HAVE TO, then you are not affected, but those who updated, they were fucked up. Can't play anything unless hacker's new patch or new card. On 3DS, you probably won't be able to play anything unless you are up to date, meaning internet connection is required. Omg..does anyone smell Blizzard already?

Think about how 3DS can ruin all asses even more.

17. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Game on Nintendo, game on.

*starts eyeing parts for a 300MHz grade protocol analyser.

Edit- wow and here I was expecting to have to set up a full lab. I think more has been dropped on a used car.

18. CamulaHikari

CamulaHikari Kami Kurai

Jul 10, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Chocolate Factory~<3
    Looking at my DS library of games, too many~ All those poor games that never made it over here T.T
    But meh, still need to check with my local shop for 100%, but I'm almost sure they'll import~!

19. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    Well if your local game store imports games wouldn't they import the systems?

20. BlueStar

BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 10, 2006
    UK
    Of course an internet connection won't be needed to play. It's a portable console, that's the most idiotic suggestion I've ever heard. You think people are going to boot it up on a plane, or at the beach, or on the subway and get 'no signal, no game for you'?