Hardware Confirmed: The 3DS is region-locked

lordrand11

The Wheel of Time Turns and Ages Come And Pass.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blaze163 said:
I've never understood the logic behind region locking. Surely it cuts down on revenues, and it puts up a totally unnecessary barrier between countries. You're fucking with world peace, Nintendo.

I laughed so hard, I almost had a stroke. Seriously awesome comment dude. Anyways, yeah that does really suck, but then again if the 3ds is hacked like the wii is it shouldn't be any problem.

darkriku2000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
Midna said:
HaniKazmi said:
Midna said:
Ninten said:
Thank God I'm not planning to buy a 3DS. But this is just ridiculous.
Replace '3DS' with PSP, PSP2, PS3, Xbox 360 or Wii and see if you still agree with it.

Region locking is an industry standard. You really expected a 2011 handheld to be region free?
PSP, PS3 and 360 are NOT region locked though, and PSP2 probably wont be too. the 3DS is actuallt the first handheld to be completely region locked (with DSI region locking some games), so this is a huge step backwards.
I was pretty damn sure the PS3, PSP and 360 were region locked. Nevermind, carry on then.

The PS3 is region locked. Pretty sure the PS2 is region locked. Not sure if the PSP is region locked. The 360 is probably region locked, though I'm not part of that scene in any way, shape, or form.

The ps2 is region locked yes. The PSP is not, neither are the ps3 and 360. I believe that with those last 2 though that it's actually the developer's choice.

D

Deleted-188346

Well, I'm certainly buying the 3DS from America now. No way I'm dealing with Australian prices on games.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
darkriku2000 said:
Nathan Drake said:
The PS3 is region locked. Pretty sure the PS2 is region locked. Not sure if the PSP is region locked. The 360 is probably region locked, though I'm not part of that scene in any way, shape, or form.

The ps2 is region locked yes. The PSP is not, neither are the ps3 and 360. I believe that with those last 2 though that it's actually the developer's choice.

Certain features of the PS3 can be region locked. Although the games aren't (save one or two special cases), the DLC is still specific to the region for which the game was released, online play can be restricted if that specific feature is region locked, and Blu-Ray movies are for sure region locked (disc by disc). You may have to suffer a little, but at least it's not a total region lock.

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Nintendo is just stupid. They support indirectly or directly piracy by doing these things. One more excuse to hack
rolleyes.gif

Go hackers! go!

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is not stupid. This is brilliant!
smile.gif
I can actually support buying all their games now! Instead of downloading everything for free, I can actually support them and do what I loved to do and buy games! Thank you Nintendo for doing something like this.
biggrin.gif
I really like how the games are like $70 apiece! I can actually hope that they're good games now!
hrth.gif

leeday100196

GBAtemp's Official Infernape™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OOOH! I just had an idea! you know how the current hackers are not needing to bother with the game codes except when using patches and stuff?n Well, what if the hackers got in to that coding (like when they patch games and stuff) and edited that region-locking code so that it can be released in other countries? That way, we Australians would get our games for our flashcarts much easier! Or better yet, when (yes when) they crack the 3DS's firmware, they can run a flashcart program that disables the region lock! That way the region lock is null and we can play any-nationality games! GOOD LUCK HACKERS!

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ryukouki said:
smile.gif
I can actually support buying all their games now! Instead of downloading everything for free, I can actually support them and do what I loved to do and buy games! Thank you Nintendo for doing something like this.
biggrin.gif
I really like how the games are like $70 apiece! I can actually hope that they're good games now!
hrth.gif

this is sarcasm no?

TheGreatNeko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, region locking a console is a bad move. Now I'm trying to figure out why I went through 9 pages of whining, it only needed to be stated once.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DigitalDeviant said:
Ryukouki said:
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
hrth.gif

this is sarcasm no?

It is obviously not sarcasm!
smile.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
leeday100196 said:
OOOH! I just had an idea! you know how the current hackers are not needing to bother with the game codes except when using patches and stuff?n Well, what if the hackers got in to that coding (like when they patch games and stuff) and edited that region-locking code so that it can be released in other countries? That way, we Australians would get our games for our flashcarts much easier! Or better yet, when (yes when) they crack the 3DS's firmware, they can run a flashcart program that disables the region lock! That way the region lock is null and we can play any-nationality games! GOOD LUCK HACKERS!
Flash carts and most hacks already ignore region...

LegendarySkitch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Better incentive for me to buy a launch 3DS for US games and a possible special edition or revision for a Japanese 3DS...I guess...still stupid as hell.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
GentleFist said:
i dont even understand what benefit the console makers have by region locking o.O
QUOTE(Rydian @ Jan 11 2011, 10:36 AM) A better example is the US and Europe, how they deal with violence and nudity. In the US it's all violence violence violence, but god forbid a nipple appear on screen. It's the opposite in Europe for the most part, there's nudity everywhere, but they tend to censor the violence. Then you get into actual localization problems when it comes to slang and such, but mostly it's for price control and to censor different content in different areas as to not offend their target audience. Also price control. Did I mention it's so they can control the price?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn4vARy44iY