Homebrew Citra - Unofficial \ Chinese builds discussion

Miguel Gomez

Trophies
XP
Country
Has anyone actually implemented the screenshot functionality into an unofficial build?

Edit: Just saw that it would have only taken native resolution screenshots that way. I don't suppose anyone's found a way to grab screenshots at resolutions higher than the window size? (For example, running the game at internal 8x resolution on a 4x size window, and taking the screenshot at the 8x resolution).
Why not just press Print Screen on your keyboard, go to MSPaint or GIMP or any photo editor, paste it, crop it, and save it?

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not just press Print Screen on your keyboard, go to MSPaint or GIMP or any photo editor, paste it, crop it, and save it?
I normally take screenshots with msi afterburner, the point is getting screenshots in the internal resolution, not my desktop resolution.
For example, I normally play with the window maximized to my desktop resolution 1920x1080, which when using large screen mode means the top screen resolution is exactly 4x native resolution, and I run the games at 8x resolution to downsample, but I'd like to take the screenshots at that 8x resolution that citra is rendering at.
I can run the desktop at 4k using dsr and that would allow me to take higher resolution screenshots, but then I'd have to change the resolution whenever I have to look at something else.

Last edited by Edgarska,

Miguel Gomez

Trophies
XP
Country
I normally take screenshots with msi afterburner, the point is getting screenshots in the internal resolution, not my desktop resolution.
For example, I normally play with the window maximized to my desktop resolution 1920x1080, which when using large screen mode means the top screen resolution is exactly 4x native resolution, and I run the games at 8x resolution to downsample, but I'd like to take the screenshots at that 8x resolution that citra is rendering at.
I can run the desktop at 4k using dsr and that would allow me to take higher resolution screenshots, but then I'd have to change the resolution whenever I have to look at something else.
Yeah. Heck, even with a n3DS, the image size in Smash 3DS is the same as o3DS. Nothing's change.

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would also like to ask for help from someone knowledgeable about the inner workings of citra. In some games, changing the add ticks number locks the framerate to certain numbers, originally I thought it was just Bravely Second but now saw it in Kirby Planet Robobot too, during normal gameplay the game is usually locked to 60fps, but if add ticks is higher than 24000 it locks to 30fps.

So I'd just like to know exactly what "add ticks" does, I know it has to do with timings and I guess it's adding more clock cycles to the emulated cpu like an overclock? And why does changing that change the target framerate of the game sometimes?

Senjosei

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

I would also like to ask for help from someone knowledgeable about the inner workings of citra. In some games, changing the add ticks number locks the framerate to certain numbers, originally I thought it was just Bravely Second but now saw it in Kirby Planet Robobot too, during normal gameplay the game is usually locked to 60fps, but if add ticks is higher than 24000 it locks to 30fps. So I'd just like to know exactly what "add ticks" does, I know it has to do with timings and I guess it's adding more clock cycles to the emulated cpu like an overclock? And why does changing that change the target framerate of the game sometimes?

Im adding said screenshot functionality and a way to use custom textures in my next build.

As for the explanation... let me try explain in a simpleway. Think of the 3ds as a pc, like every pc it needs an operation system. A part of the operation system is the kernel which manages running programs and gives access to the hardware. It also preforms scheduling which tells how long a program should run. The 3ds uses a special kernel called a microkernel what that basically means is that system calls (if a program needs hardware access i.e access to the GPU it accesses them through a system call) are also treated as a normal program. Citra as an emulator must emulate every aspect of this kernel. Now addticks messes with the scheduler timings which in turn messes with how long a system call needs to wait and how long it runs. Now u might be thinking "Oh just let all the system call run immediately without waiting" while that maybe true thats not the whole story. System processes running in the background waiting for request from other programs (games / other system calls) will also get speedup meaning it will check for the request more frequently which will fill the backlog of stuff that needs to be processed which translates to the main program(games) getting buried in the backlog which translates to the game thinking "Oh the system is lagging better make myself run faster" which fill fills the backlog even more until the game reaches a comfortable "speed". I hope u can see how hacky of a workaround this is and why im not adding it in my build because games runs better without any addticks manipulation. Ive said this before the current bottleneck making games slow is the vertex processing which is handled by the cpu phantom is working hard to move that to gl which will make the bottleneck gone and games wil run butter smooth.

Weny327

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Luigi Mansion 2 improvement speed, working 100 % on build Valentin
set ticks 51000+
Thanks Valentin!

Attachments

• 51000[2].png
    51000[2].png
    308.3 KB · Views: 463

radmaruto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
nice this game run really at 15 fps on 3ds ? it seem to be slow but zelda ocarina of time was at 15 fps on n64..why not ,with frames skipped
i'm busy on a let's play hd for dragon quest 7 lol this game run so nice i guess ,the sounds run enough well with res x4

Last edited by radmaruto,

Urdaneta09

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Wops ticks in Monster Hunter 3U is 40000 and not 50000(cause overall fake speed and exagerate frameskip) but if you have a decent CPU you will set with 35000-36000 for a balance of frameskip/smooth movement

Miguel Gomez

Trophies
XP
Country
can any developer here make citra render the second screen on a separate window, to use on a secondary monitor?
Well. You can actually do that to Citra by editing config.

I've heard and seen someone doing that. I just don't know how though. But yeah. It's possible without making a feature that does that to you.

It was a thing since 2016.

porlock

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well. You can actually do that to Citra by editing config.

I've heard and seen someone doing that. I just don't know how though. But yeah. It's possible without making a feature that does that to you.

It was a thing since 2016.
Yeah.. I already did, but i have to stretch main window across desktop extension. It is not the best solution, cause you can't even use full screen...
Check it out the idea.
It will be easier to do this with separate windows.
3dsdual.jpg

Reactions: xmeee978

midoraku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
so basically t(r)icks is a sort of frameskip? or in-build speedhack? cause i loose tonns of fps in cause of gettin normal speed in mh4u for example on 2600k (game becomes like - fullspeed but 17~sh fps instead of 40-50% speed 30-35 fps)

(or maybe i just didn't understand right how to use this ticks thing?)

Last edited by midoraku,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I better over react and get all fussy for the lols