Homebrew Official Citra - New 3DS Emulator

Slidingbass

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
some of you guys especially Slidingbass spent alot of money for a high end PC than an actual console.
Shots fired!!!!
I don't understand why you're firing at me.i said nothing about your pc specs, i just said "maybe you have a bad gpu" because you were getting low fps.
Next time i'd appreciate if you wouldn't fire shots at me as i was just trying to help.
(maybe i'll just not visit this thread anymore as it is full of toxic people)

Last edited by Slidingbass,

Miguel Gomez

Trophies
XP
Country
Shots fired!!!!
I don't understand why you're firing at me.i said nothing about your pc specs, i just said "maybe you have a bad gpu" because you were getting low fps.
Next time i'd appreciate if you wouldn't fire shots at me as i was just trying to help.
(maybe i'll just not visit this thread anymore as it is full of toxic people)
Kek. Come back. I'm just a bit tired.

kira1000

Trophies
XP
Country
Just tried Hyrule Warriors Legends, menu and intro cutscene run smooth as can be, but the game gives an invalid FCRAM address error as it did before when it comes to actual gameplay.

perkel

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Why do AMD GPU tend to crash PCs?

It is canary build which means it is not stable and devs said they were lucky to even include AMD GPU support at all lately.

Like someone said it is just first version and whole point of canary is to find and fix bugs and test features before releasing stable build.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't AMD help develop the OGL standard?...
Did they? I admit i'm not super well-versed on the matter, but I never heard anything about AMD helping to create OpenGL. Silicon Graphics are the company who are generally credited with developing OGL.

AMD seemed to be focused primarily on CPUs prior to their acquisition of ATI in 2006. Probably a good business move for AMD, but there are people who would say it kind of ruined Radeon. I can't disagree either. I don't play brand loyalty and value healthy competition, but for a long time now Radeon cards have been a pain due to poor drivers. OpenGL in particular. I ended up just buying an Nvidia GPU after being fed up. Hopefully someday AMD will fix their shit OGL drivers, but i'm not holding out hope. I'd guess AMD are probably doing well enough with sales from bitcoin miners who buy them for non-gaming purposes.

Dolphin, PCSX2 and Cemu are often swamped with complaints from AMD users with various glitches, instability or performance problems that aren't nearly as prevalent on Nvidia cards. I assume the same is true of Citra. It's a huge relief to many whenever Vulkan is made available on these emulators, it allows AMD users to bypass some of the problems with OGL.

Last edited by granville,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did they? I admit i'm not super well-versed on the matter, but I never heard anything about AMD helping to create OpenGL. Silicon Graphics are the company who are generally credited with developing OGL.

AMD seemed to be focused primarily on CPUs prior to their acquisition of ATI in 2006. Probably a good business move for AMD, but there are people who would say it kind of ruined Radeon. I can't disagree either. I don't play brand loyalty and value healthy competition, but for a long time now Radeon cards have been a pain due to poor drivers. OpenGL in particular. I ended up just buying an Nvidia GPU after being fed up. Hopefully someday AMD will fix their shit OGL drivers, but i'm not holding out hope. I'd guess AMD are probably doing well enough with sales from bitcoin miners who buy them for non-gaming purposes.

Dolphin, PCSX2 and Cemu are often swamped with complaints from AMD users with various glitches, instability or performance problems that aren't nearly as prevalent on Nvidia cards. I assume the same is true of Citra. It's a huge relief to many whenever Vulkan is made available on these emulators, it allows AMD users to bypass some of the problems with OGL.
I'm most likely thinking of their involvement with the creation on Vulkan/Mantel and the Displayport standard

perkel

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
OpenGL in particular. I ended up just buying an Nvidia GPU after being fed up. Hopefully someday AMD will fix their shit OGL drivers, but i'm not holding out hope. I'd guess AMD are probably doing well enough with sales from bitcoin miners who buy them for non-gaming purposes.

What OGL games you play outside of Citra ? Frankly speaking outside of emulators i barely see support for OGL (as main only rendering pipeline). Nowdays it is either DX11 or Vulcan and exclusives on ms store which provide DX12 (mostly games from MS).

Also OGL isn't broken on AMD it is just slower. But yeah i can hardly see them going back to fixing OGL drivers if at all they can be fixed and if it not result of their hardware architecture rather than drivers.
But it is hard to tell if it is actually AMD fault or it is just Nvidia taking step ahead doing something extra.

Glass half full, half empty basically.

From what i heard (and i could be wrong) nvidia created extensions to OGL which are widely used and de facto became standard in game developement that barely work on AMD gpus (because extension were mostly created with Nvidia arch in mind) or at all (which means developer needs to find a way to do some thing but with additional work).

Lunos

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Also OGL isn't broken on AMD it is just slower.
I think that it is actually broken on Windows, or that's what I heard and was kind of able to see, at least.
PCSX2 and Cemu seem to be the best examples of emulators whose OpenGL Video Renderers perform awfully with AMD GPUs.
It's not just games running slower, it's actual small and big visual bugs depending of the game that, in the case of PCSX2, are solved by using a DirectX based Video Renderer instead.
Just like it happens with Intel's iGPUs supposedly, AMD's GPU Drivers on Windows suck terribly, or again, that's what I heard.

Last edited by Lunos,

perkel

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think that it is actually broken on Windows, or that's what I heard and was kind of able to see, at least.
PCSX2 and Cemu seem to be the best examples of emulators whose OpenGL Video Renderers perform awfully with AMD GPUs.
It's not just slower performance, it's actual small and big visual bugs depending of the game that, in the case of PCSX2, are solved by using a DirectX Video Renderer instead.
Just like it happens with Intel's iGPUs supposedly, AMD's GPU Drivers on Windows suck terribly.

Is it a case of actually drivers sucking or developers knowing AMD has slower performance on OGL focusing instead on D3D with compatibility (since AMD users will use that instead) or Vulcan.

Also is it problem of AMD drivers or OGL itself ?

My point is that Vulcan never existed when my GPU was released (HD7970) and all games seem to run pretty fucking great in Vulcan on that GPU and there is no issue on it like D3D/OGL situation. Which means Kronos (makers of Vulcan) seemed to wrote Vulcan in such way that doesn't have problem with AMD hardware.

Which begs the question. Is it AMD fault with their drivers microcode or is it just OpenGL problem ?
Is it possible that it is no ones fault ? Meaning that for example AMD choose to go into alleway of architecture gpu design in which it would give a lot of boost in low level APIs (like DX12/Vulcan) which are supposed to be future but require a lot of CPU overhead in older APIs (which seems to be case for GCN gpus from AMD) and by that OpenGL for some architectural reason require even more power to run properly API

Do linux drivers have the same problems ?

Lunos

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Is it a case of actually drivers sucking or developers knowing AMD has slower performance on OGL focusing instead on D3D with compatibility (since AMD users will use that instead) or Vulcan.

My point is that Vulcan never existed when my GPU was released (HD7970) and all games seem to run pretty fucking great in Vulcan on that GPU and there is no issue on it like D3D/OGL situation. Which means Kronos (makers of Vulcan) seemed to wrote Vulcan in such way that doesn't have problem with AMD hardware.

Which begs the question. Is it AMD fault with their drivers microcode or is it just OpenGL problem ?
Is it possible that it is no ones fault ? Meaning that for example AMD choose to go into alleway of architecture gpu design in which it would give a lot of boost in low level APIs (like DX12/Vulcan) which are supposed to be future but require a lot of CPU overhead in older APIs (which seems to be case for GCN gpus from AMD) and by that OpenGL for some architectural reason require even more power to run properly API

I emphasized "on Windows" for a reason. I heard that the AMD GPU Drivers on Linux are superior to those in Windows.
The example that I can quote is some people with AMD GPUs that tried PCSX2's OpenGL Video Renderer on both Windows and Linux, with the Linux version performing better than the Windows one.
So yeah, I think that it's pretty safe to say that AMD GPU Drivers on Windows suck and that's why AMD GPUs are having issues with OpenGL on Windows.
You can Google "AMD GPU OpenGL Windows" and you're going to get some interesting results backing up the claim.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AMD's OpenGL issues aren't just speed related. Many including myself have experienced quite a bit of instability as well, driver crashes or even BSODs. I've had this occur on different AMD cards from different PCs. A problem that disappeared when I swapped in an Nvidia card instead.

The problems are not inherent limits with OGL itself. Many well respected emulator programmers hate AMD drivers as well. Nvidia's cards work just fine, and they haven't made any proprietary tweaks that would stop AMD from fixing their shit. No emulator author is implementing proprietary crap like Gameworks either.

Vulkan IS supposed to be better and lower level than OpenGL. AMD helped create it, so no excuse for it not to perform well on their cards. Vulkan was initially expected to make a big splash in the mainstream, though this has largely not been the case outside of id Tech games. This in spite of many prominent game engines such as Unreal 4 supporting Vulkan.

Even the emulation scene hasn't universally jumped on Vulkan. Dolphin was quick to do so, and I believe PPSSPP eventually got it alongside RPCS3. Some Retroarch cores support it. But Citra, PCSX2 and Cemu still only support DirectX or OpenGL.

graeme122

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
After reading about the Citra Hardware Renderer Update I had to try it, So I tried Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions and it works great and I can run it at 4K 60fps but would someone explain why increasing the resolution in this game doesn't make much of a difference in term of visual quality. It looks less blurry but Mario and other characters for example still look pixelated. But when I see games like Pokemon Ultra Moon the difference between Native and 4K is amazing, Anyone care to explain.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After reading about the Citra Hardware Renderer Update I had to try it, So I tried Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions and it works great and I can run it at 4K 60fps but would someone explain why increasing the resolution in this game doesn't make much of a difference in term of visual quality. It looks less blurry but Mario and other characters for example still look pixelated. But when I see games like Pokemon Ultra Moon the difference between Native and 4K is amazing, Anyone care to explain.
The characters in all the Mario & Luigi games are 2D sprites, not 3D models. An emulator can't increase the resolution of sprites like you can for 3D models. Pokemon uses 3D models for its characters, so it benefits from increasing the resolution.

Last edited by granville,

graeme122

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The characters in all the Mario & Luigi games are 2D sprites, not 3D models. An emulator can't increase the resolution of sprites like you can for 3D models. Pokemon uses 3D models for its characters, so it benefits from increasing the resolution.

Thank you for the explanation, so like Dolphin is it possible to extract the textures and replace them with high quality textures.

Reactions: Ape8000

Desmondchaser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AMD's OpenGL issues aren't just speed related. Many including myself have experienced quite a bit of instability as well, driver crashes or even BSODs. I've had this occur on different AMD cards from different PCs. A problem that disappeared when I swapped in an Nvidia card instead.

The problems are not inherent limits with OGL itself. Many well respected emulator programmers hate AMD drivers as well. Nvidia's cards work just fine, and they haven't made any proprietary tweaks that would stop AMD from fixing their shit. No emulator author is implementing proprietary crap like Gameworks either.

Vulkan IS supposed to be better and lower level than OpenGL. AMD helped create it, so no excuse for it not to perform well on their cards. Vulkan was initially expected to make a big splash in the mainstream, though this has largely not been the case outside of id Tech games. This in spite of many prominent game engines such as Unreal 4 supporting Vulkan.

Even the emulation scene hasn't universally jumped on Vulkan. Dolphin was quick to do so, and I believe PPSSPP eventually got it alongside RPCS3. Some Retroarch cores support it. But Citra, PCSX2 and Cemu still only support DirectX or OpenGL.

That lack of support for Vulkan comes primarily because DirectX still has such a big market share. People in tech are notorious for claiming they want something big and new, only to quit it and go back to what they're familiar with not too long after. That is, unless you force their hand like Microsoft tends to do with DX. Vulkan should be the standard, especially since it's at least as good as DX12 but without all the limitations of needing Win10 (you can even run Vulkan on Win7). The issue is that people are used to DirectX and OpenGL so they don't want to change too much. But we do see the benefits of that change in emulators like Dolphin and in several mainstream games that have implemented it. I really hope some people create a bigger push (maybe even some ads) for the software. Because it should be replacing OpenGL and in time (particularly given that games are becoming more accessible and less platform specific) would love to see it replace DirectX too. The more open software becomes and easy to port/make available to others, the better.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't like AMD for bad OGL drivers and abandoning non-CGN videocards (mine HD5870 was almost on par with HD7850 when it first came out) But a crash tendency? They do their job well if all you do is playing regular Steam games. You need to look into each separate case to determine where the problem lies. We don't have internet cafes where I live but I bet they use the cheepest components (such as MB, memory) in their PCs. I'd start digging here.
AMD actually has fucked up drivers for many older API's as far as I can tell. Way back in update 11.xxx is when I suddenly realized that DX8 no longer works properly on AMD. I absolutely cannot play Star Wars Dark Forces 2 anymore because the colors are completely messed up, no matter which fixes (Jkhub and other related sites, I've tried too) I've implemented the problem never went away.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm honestly not sure of this myself. I run Nvidia right now, but before I had an AMD card and ran Dolphin successfully with practically no crashes using OpenGL so I could edit more options. I don't know if it's just that Dolphin devs know more about OpenGL and working around AMD stuff or if it's just the time they've had building it. PCSX2 has been around for about the same time afaik and they've never made OpenGL work all that good from what I can tell. Even on Nvidia I usually prefer DirectX.

Last edited by Desmondchaser,

Lunos

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
@jselby: Unrelated to the problem with the RAM, I just remembered the Telemetry tab and now I'm wondering:
If I linked my GitHub account with the Citra Forums, inserted my Token, got verified and then I ran a videogame for about 5 minutes with Shader Emulation set to GPU, would that help you and the other developers to pinpoint whatever is causing the black screen issue in the standalone versions?
Since I'm using the latest Citra Canary version, I thought that I should make the question in this thread, I hope I didn't screw up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.