Real online multiplayer is coming to Citra Emulator

1698846066409.png

The Nintendo 3DS Citra Emulator is getting real online functionality support a few months away of Nintendo shutting down online services for the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U consoles. While this feature is still not available in CItra Nightly or Canary due to the developer team consulting with lawyers the legality of providing this kind of functionality, a fork has been made publicly available which allows connecing to Nintendo Network. Among other things, the following features are implemented:
  • Managing friends, which includes getting a friend code that can be shared with real 3DS users.​
  • Playing online in most games that support it, including with real 3DS users.​
However, keep in mind that some features such as NNID settings or miiverse are not available. Support for alternative networks such as Pretendo Network is claimed to be added in the future. Installation instructions are provided in the fork's release page.

:arrow: Release page
:arrow: Video showcasing Mario Kart 7 going online.

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this work with the Android version of Citra. I noticed on your GitHub, you provide a download for "android-universal.zip". I downloaded and installed it just fine on my cell. But what I am seeing in my settings don't line up with what you wrote in your setup guide. If this does work on the Android version, would you be able to give instructions on how to set it up? Thank you.

Kolina2901

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
Probably the file is invalid. Does the eshop and friend list work in your console?
(Disabling FRD of course will "fix" it because you are disabling the online functionality)

Friends list works on console fine, no errors or anything.
EDIT: So did the Eshop after just testing that now too.

Last edited by Kolina2901,

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Does this work with the Android version of Citra. I noticed on your GitHub, you provide a download for "android-universal.zip". I downloaded and installed it just fine on my cell. But what I am seeing in my settings don't line up with what you wrote in your setup guide. If this does work on the Android version, would you be able to give instructions on how to set it up? Thank you.
You need to edit the config file manually and copy some files from the PC version. Also, looks like P2P communications don't work properly.

Reactions: Clutz450

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Holy hell, i have wanted this for so long. Sucks that we are getting it right at the end.
I think the timing is perfect. With the imminent shutdown of Nintendo Network, people are now doing more research and RE into the inner workings of the 3DS network connectivity, understandably it's become a lot more relevant, so it was bound to happen around this time. It took Dolphin much longer to get Nintendo WFC support.
iirc there is a exemption in the dmca for online services that are RE'd and no copyrighted code is used also the original online service is shut down so pretty sure nintendo cant go after it unless the exemption is removed
It's not shut down yet. I'm unsure about the legality of this but I don't think Nintendo will (or even can) go after them once Nintendo Network is shut down. The part I am unsure about is the legality of enabling it to connect to official servers (I'm quite sure there is no issue with connecting to unofficial servers although the servers themselves might be subject to DMCA)
Releasing this while Nintendo Network is still up is a bold move. I appreciate it, but I wouldn't be surprised if a DMCA is around the corner once this gets enough publicity. Whether it's technically legal or not, probably won't stop Nintendo from finding some reason to DMCA it.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's not shut down yet. I'm unsure about the legality of this but I don't think Nintendo will (or even can) go after them once Nintendo Network is shut down. The part I am unsure about is the legality of enabling it to connect to official servers (I'm quite sure there is no issue with connecting to unofficial servers although the servers themselves might be subject to DMCA)
Releasing this while Nintendo Network is still up is a bold move. I appreciate it, but I wouldn't be surprised if a DMCA is around the corner once this gets enough publicity. Whether it's technically legal or not, probably won't stop Nintendo from finding some reason to DMCA it.
Its no surprise that even companies are taking action against unofficial revival servers to some games, I find this very sad since this can lead the game or service to become lost media. One famous instance being Club Penguin, which lead to Disney to file a cease and desist towards the developers.

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The part I am unsure about is the legality of enabling it to connect to official servers (I'm quite sure there is no issue with connecting to unofficial servers although the servers themselves might be subject to DMCA)
The code that connects to Nintendo is not RE'd, it's the emulated friends module, which is Nintendo's code, what is communicating with their servers.
Hmm no. DMCA is for claiming copyright infringements, this is not a copyright infringement.

jerryjoe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1699109938384.png

Are all online aspects in games supposed to work? Cause I tried Pokemon Y and I could connect, but then when I tried to go on battle spot I got this error. The same thing happened on Pokemon Ultra Moon. I also tried MK7 online and could connect, but would get disconnected when trying to find a race. However, if I deleted my original save data and then tried to find a race with brand new save data, it'd work fine. That didn't work on Pokemon though. Also on Pokemon Y it seems like a lot of things cause the game to hang, like after trading or trying to watch someone's PR video.

Last edited by jerryjoe,

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
View attachment 402724
Are all online aspects in games supposed to work? Cause I tried Pokemon Y and I could connect, but then when I tried to go on battle spot I got this error. The same thing happened on Pokemon Ultra Moon. I also tried MK7 online and could connect, but would get disconnected when trying to find a race. However, if I deleted my original save data and then tried to find a race with brand new save data, it'd work fine. That didn't work on Pokemon though.
The issue about Pokemon is because missing SpotPass functionality, this is being worked on official citra.. The issue about MK7 was probably coincidence, deleting save data doesn't affect anything.
ok has anyone made a video tutoiral the emulator keeps crashing (both windows versions) . i have my aes keys from godmode already help :P

Please send the log file. You can access it by doing File -> Open citra folder then go to logs folder.

GoldAnthro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here. citra_log.txt is blank so it wont let me upload here. but the old.txt should help
"
[ 0.159613] Input <Info> input_common\udp\client.cpp:InputCommon::CemuhookUDP::Client::StartCommunication:206: Starting communication with UDP input server on 127.0.0.1:26760
[ 0.209376] Frontend <Info> citra_qt\main.cpp:GMainWindow::GMainWindow:232: Citra Version: b4eebc0 | HEAD-b4eebc0
[ 0.209390] Frontend <Info> citra_qt\main.cpp:GMainWindow::GMainWindow:247: Host CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | AVX2 | FMA
[ 0.209604] Frontend <Info> citra_qt\main.cpp:GMainWindow::GMainWindow:249: Host OS: Windows 10 Version 22H2 (Build 19045.3570)
[ 0.209626] Frontend <Info> citra_qt\main.cpp:GMainWindow::GMainWindow:252: Host RAM: 31.92 GiB
[ 0.209627] Frontend <Info> citra_qt\main.cpp:GMainWindow::GMainWindow:253: Host Swap: 10.79 GiB
[ 0.587161] Frontend <Warning> citra_qt\main.cpp:GMainWindow::CheckForUpdates:945: Unable to start check for updates
[ 140.360579] Common.Filesystem <Error> common\file_util.cpp:FileUtil::CreateDir:201: CreateDirectory failed on C:\Users\frogs\AppData\Roaming/Citra/nand/data/: 3
[ 140.360587] Common <Error> common\file_util.cpp:FileUtil::CreateFullPath:258: CreateFullPath: directory creation failed
[ 140.360652] Debug <Critical> core/hle/result.h:ResultVal<class std::unique_ptr<class FileSys::ArchiveBackend,struct std::default_delete<class FileSys::ArchiveBackend> > >::Unwrap::<lambda_1>::operator ():367: Assertion Failed!
Tried to Unwrap empty ResultVal
"
Post automatically merged:

Now i am sure I have enough space. each drive i have though running low has a MINIMUM of 15GB on it. I dont think lack of space is an issue here. and i have barely any browser tabs open so I doubt its a RAM error. I am the admin of my own computer too. i added the sysdata file myself and filled it with the AES key from my old3ds as I call it. let me know if theres any other info needed to prevent configure from crashing citra-qt.exe

Attachments

• citra_log.txt.old.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 14

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
here. citra_log.txt is blank so it wont let me upload here. but the old.txt should help
"
[ 0.159613] Input <Info> input_common\udp\client.cpp:InputCommon::CemuhookUDP::Client::StartCommunication:206: Starting communication with UDP input server on 127.0.0.1:26760
[ 0.209376] Frontend <Info> citra_qt\main.cpp:GMainWindow::GMainWindow:232: Citra Version: b4eebc0 | HEAD-b4eebc0
[ 0.209390] Frontend <Info> citra_qt\main.cpp:GMainWindow::GMainWindow:247: Host CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | AVX2 | FMA
[ 0.209604] Frontend <Info> citra_qt\main.cpp:GMainWindow::GMainWindow:249: Host OS: Windows 10 Version 22H2 (Build 19045.3570)
[ 0.209626] Frontend <Info> citra_qt\main.cpp:GMainWindow::GMainWindow:252: Host RAM: 31.92 GiB
[ 0.209627] Frontend <Info> citra_qt\main.cpp:GMainWindow::GMainWindow:253: Host Swap: 10.79 GiB
[ 0.587161] Frontend <Warning> citra_qt\main.cpp:GMainWindow::CheckForUpdates:945: Unable to start check for updates
[ 140.360579] Common.Filesystem <Error> common\file_util.cpp:FileUtil::CreateDir:201: CreateDirectory failed on C:\Users\frogs\AppData\Roaming/Citra/nand/data/: 3
[ 140.360587] Common <Error> common\file_util.cpp:FileUtil::CreateFullPath:258: CreateFullPath: directory creation failed
[ 140.360652] Debug <Critical> core/hle/result.h:ResultVal<class std::unique_ptr<class FileSys::ArchiveBackend,struct std::default_delete<class FileSys::ArchiveBackend> > >::Unwrap::<lambda_1>::operator ():367: Assertion Failed!
Tried to Unwrap empty ResultVal
"

Now i am sure I have enough space. each drive i have though running low has a MINIMUM of 15GB on it. I dont think lack of space is an issue here. and i have barely any browser tabs open so I doubt its a RAM error. I am the admin of my own computer too. i added the sysdata file myself and filled it with the AES key from my old3ds as I call it. let me know if theres any other info needed to prevent configure from crashing citra-qt.exe
Try to create this path manually by creating the folders: C:\Users\frogs\AppData\Roaming/Citra/nand/data/

GoldAnthro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it was a shortcut folder leading to a place a directory that didnt exsist. so i made the folder

---
edit: that seems to have fixed it. I will continue to follow the tutorial and see where it brings me. thanks.

seems to be working. uh one last question. its only mk7 that would work online with this fork right? like if i boot anything else ti would error or id get banned right?

Last edited by GoldAnthro,

notChocoMilk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The [link deleted due to my dookie role] is getting real online functionality support a few months away of
[link deleted due to my dookie role]
While this feature is still not available in CItra Nightly or Canary due to the developer team consulting with lawyers the legality of providing this kind of functionality, a fork has been made publicly available which allows connecing to Nintendo Network. Among other things, the following features are implemented:
  • Managing friends, which includes getting a friend code that can be shared with real 3DS users.​
  • Playing online in most games that support it, including with real 3DS users.​
However, keep in mind that some features such as NNID settings or miiverse are not available. Support for alternative networks such as Pretendo Network is claimed to be added in the future. Installation instructions are provided in the fork's release page.
good thing citra for android exists, now i can finally play my 3ds games on the go!

• Haha
Reactions: DragonMals

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto