Real online multiplayer is coming to Citra Emulator

1698846066409.png

The Nintendo 3DS Citra Emulator is getting real online functionality support a few months away of Nintendo shutting down online services for the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U consoles. While this feature is still not available in CItra Nightly or Canary due to the developer team consulting with lawyers the legality of providing this kind of functionality, a fork has been made publicly available which allows connecing to Nintendo Network. Among other things, the following features are implemented:
  • Managing friends, which includes getting a friend code that can be shared with real 3DS users.​
  • Playing online in most games that support it, including with real 3DS users.​
However, keep in mind that some features such as NNID settings or miiverse are not available. Support for alternative networks such as Pretendo Network is claimed to be added in the future. Installation instructions are provided in the fork's release page.

:arrow: Release page
:arrow: Video showcasing Mario Kart 7 going online.

jerryjoe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried both the Windows downloads and they just don't start at all. Even when trying to run as an administrator, the prompt doesn't come up. The main Citra emulator works fine. Does anyone have any idea why? I'm on Windows 11.

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yeah I tried that, but nothing.
Try to run the .exe from a command prompt:
1. Press the windows key + R. Type CMD and press enter.
2. A black widow will open, drag and drop the CItra qt exe to that window.
3. Press enter, if you see an error in the black window please send it here.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

jerryjoe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. All I had to do is download on of the Windows releases (both work) and extract them with 7zip, then run the qt exe. No problems here. I am on Windows 10, but I have doubts if that matters.
It might matter. Windows 11 does seem to be randomly stupid for no reason.
Post automatically merged:

Try to run the .exe from a command prompt:
1. Press the windows key + R. Type CMD and press enter.
2. A black widow will open, drag and drop the CItra qt exe to that window.
3. Press enter, if you see an error in the black window please send it here.
This worked, thanks! Any idea why it wouldn't start normally?

Last edited by jerryjoe,
Reactions: AkikoKumagara

Kolina2901

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
Is dumping a friend code from an actual 3DS possible or no? That's one of the only things I still haven't dumped yet.

Kolina2901

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
You don't dump a friend code, you dump the neccessary data so that citra creates a new friend code for you.
What happens if you only see "SecureInfo_B"? The steps require SecureInfo_A but I'm not seeing that when checking sysnand in GM9 as per their steps, unless that's dumped a different way.

Kolina2901

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
If you were missing that file your console wouldn't boot. Probably you missed it.

It says the path is Sysnand ctrnand -> rw - sys and I'm not seeing it in there when I check it, LocalFriendCodeSeed_B is in there fine, but SecureInfo_A isn't in there, just _B, looked through the path and the folders around it 5 times.

Kolina2901

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
Well, for some reason you have a SecureInfo_B file instead of A. Try using that.
Citra doesn't take that as is, unless I rename it. It DOES show up as loaded when I try that, where trying a random file with that shows invalid. I did get a crash when checking the friends list but I don't know if that's because of the SecureInfo or if that's normal for now.

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Citra doesn't take that as is, unless I rename it. It DOES show up as loaded when I try that, where trying a random file with that shows invalid. I did get a crash when checking the friends list but I don't know if that's because of the SecureInfo or if that's normal for now.
No, it's not normal. Can you send the citra log?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto