Citra 3DS emulator gets Vulkan support

citra-vulkan-announcement.png

Citra, the popular Nintendo 3DS emulator has been updated with support for the Vulkan graphics API.

The introduction of Vulkan support for Citra not only modernises the popular emulator that was previously built around the ageing OpenGL standard but can even boost performance for some users, especially those on Android devices. It also means that Apple Silicon devices are now supported.

As of now, feature parity and emulator compatiblity is not on par with the previous OpenGL releases due to the ongoing implementation of Vulkan but work is underway and the devs are encouraging users to report any issues they encounter.

Vulkan support can be found in the latest nightly Citra release.

Failed to fetch tweet 1702812371650335163
:arrow: Source

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Massive W, congrats to the Citra team for getting Vulkan working.

Yes! Now I can play 3DS games portably on my phone!
Finally, we can play our 3DS games on the go!!

...wait.

AndorfRequissa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huge W for the emulation scene/community
its amazing what enhancements vulkan can do for games that were designed for small pixel handhelds now being emulated on big screen TVs. ive always preferred TV gaming to handheld games and am glad we are past the era where some of the coolest games were playable on heldhelds only.

• Haha
Reactions: PopcornSweetie

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Just passing by to say:

OpenGL is more of a standard to draw raw graphics into a fixed pipeline, so it's obvious newer GPUs like the PICA200 will bottleneck as a matter of "fitting-rebuilding caches-executing them into display lists".

But to call OpenGL deprecated is blatant ignorance, it's meant for general purposes graphics. And then the entire fault on the developers side of OpenGL driver development.

Vulkan takes a DirectX approach-like and hence, allows to repurpose better the first paragraph, and scales better to emulated GPUs featuring shaders of some sort.

gaga941021

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary

Citra, the popular Nintendo 3DS emulator has been updated with support for the Vulkan graphics API.

The introduction of Vulkan support for Citra not only modernises the popular emulator that was previously built around the ageing OpenGL standard but can even boost performance for some users, especially those on Android devices. It also means that Apple Silicone devices are now supported.

As of now, feature parity and emulator compatiblity is not on par with the previous OpenGL releases due to the ongoing implementation of Vulkan but work is underway and the devs are encouraging users to report any issues they encounter.

Vulkan support can be found in the latest nightly Citra release.

:arrow: Source
Nevermind. Cant read.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just passing by to say:

OpenGL is more of a standard to draw raw graphics into a fixed pipeline, so it's obvious newer GPUs like the PICA200 will bottleneck as a matter of "fitting-rebuilding caches-executing them into display lists".

But to call OpenGL deprecated is blatant ignorance, it's meant for general purposes graphics. And then the entire fault on the developers side of OpenGL driver development.

Vulkan takes a DirectX approach-like and hence, allows to repurpose better the first paragraph, and scales better to emulated GPUs featuring shaders of some sort.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I'm just echoing the teams statements in their announcement of the update however.

Reactions: Coto

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Beautiful.
Post automatically merged:

Just passing by to say:

Well, as you yourself said, OpenGL is not ideal for contemporary emulators; its premises are ancient. Vulkan is an objectively better solution for our purposes, although OpenGL remains perfectly viable and great for legacy support.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Now, if only plugins were supported...there were a few great plugins made over time, especially for the Pokemon games.
I haven't found any other source for, say, Ultra Sun/Moon walk through walls or infinite Z-Moves or Mega Evolutions or anything - no cheat codes for that, only a plugin.

Last edited by RichardTheKing,
  • Haha
Reactions: k7ra

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
is gas mode still broken or is monster hunter stories still unplayably blurry?

before you mention "disable 3d cheat", that doesn't fix this issue
citra-qt_2022-07-27_09-59-24.png

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if this will increase performance on my AMD laptop. I struggles to run Citra as a whole currently (despite that Pokémon doesn’t have great performance according to their docs) it’s a slideshow

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Currently asked for mecha mote iinchou mm my best friend to be translated but I also want to ask...