Official Citra - New 3DS Emulator

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by bunnei, Apr 24, 2014.

1. granville

granville GBAtemp Goat

Aug 24, 2007
    United States
    Orlando, Florida
    AMD's OpenGL issues aren't just speed related. Many including myself have experienced quite a bit of instability as well, driver crashes or even BSODs. I've had this occur on different AMD cards from different PCs. A problem that disappeared when I swapped in an Nvidia card instead.

The problems are not inherent limits with OGL itself. Many well respected emulator programmers hate AMD drivers as well. Nvidia's cards work just fine, and they haven't made any proprietary tweaks that would stop AMD from fixing their shit. No emulator author is implementing proprietary crap like Gameworks either.

Vulkan IS supposed to be better and lower level than OpenGL. AMD helped create it, so no excuse for it not to perform well on their cards. Vulkan was initially expected to make a big splash in the mainstream, though this has largely not been the case outside of id Tech games. This in spite of many prominent game engines such as Unreal 4 supporting Vulkan.

Even the emulation scene hasn't universally jumped on Vulkan. Dolphin was quick to do so, and I believe PPSSPP eventually got it alongside RPCS3. Some Retroarch cores support it. But Citra, PCSX2 and Cemu still only support DirectX or OpenGL.

2. NiagA

NiagA GBAtemp Fan

Sep 23, 2016
    Brazil
    in your mind
  3. graeme122

graeme122 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2007
    United kingdom
    After reading about the Citra Hardware Renderer Update I had to try it, So I tried Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions and it works great and I can run it at 4K 60fps but would someone explain why increasing the resolution in this game doesn't make much of a difference in term of visual quality. It looks less blurry but Mario and other characters for example still look pixelated. But when I see games like Pokemon Ultra Moon the difference between Native and 4K is amazing, Anyone care to explain.

4. NiagA

NiagA GBAtemp Fan

Sep 23, 2016
    Brazil
    in your mind
  5. granville

granville GBAtemp Goat

Aug 24, 2007
    United States
    Orlando, Florida
    The characters in all the Mario & Luigi games are 2D sprites, not 3D models. An emulator can't increase the resolution of sprites like you can for 3D models. Pokemon uses 3D models for its characters, so it benefits from increasing the resolution.

Last edited by granville, Mar 12, 2018
  6. graeme122

graeme122 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2007
    United kingdom
    Thank you for the explanation, so like Dolphin is it possible to extract the textures and replace them with high quality textures.

Yardape8000 likes this.
  7. Lunos

Lunos GBAtemp Regular

Dec 26, 2010
    Uruguay
    Montevideo
    No, it is not. However, @Senjosei was working on custom textures compatibility in the Unofficial Citra Builds thread.

8. jroweboy

jroweboy GBAtemp Regular

Oct 23, 2016
    United States
    If they complete the feature, I see no reason it can't be put into citra master...

AceofZeroz and Lunos like this.
  9. Desmondchaser

Desmondchaser Member

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2018
    United States
    That lack of support for Vulkan comes primarily because DirectX still has such a big market share. People in tech are notorious for claiming they want something big and new, only to quit it and go back to what they're familiar with not too long after. That is, unless you force their hand like Microsoft tends to do with DX. Vulkan should be the standard, especially since it's at least as good as DX12 but without all the limitations of needing Win10 (you can even run Vulkan on Win7). The issue is that people are used to DirectX and OpenGL so they don't want to change too much. But we do see the benefits of that change in emulators like Dolphin and in several mainstream games that have implemented it. I really hope some people create a bigger push (maybe even some ads) for the software. Because it should be replacing OpenGL and in time (particularly given that games are becoming more accessible and less platform specific) would love to see it replace DirectX too. The more open software becomes and easy to port/make available to others, the better.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

AMD actually has fucked up drivers for many older API's as far as I can tell. Way back in update 11.xxx is when I suddenly realized that DX8 no longer works properly on AMD. I absolutely cannot play Star Wars Dark Forces 2 anymore because the colors are completely messed up, no matter which fixes (Jkhub and other related sites, I've tried too) I've implemented the problem never went away.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I'm honestly not sure of this myself. I run Nvidia right now, but before I had an AMD card and ran Dolphin successfully with practically no crashes using OpenGL so I could edit more options. I don't know if it's just that Dolphin devs know more about OpenGL and working around AMD stuff or if it's just the time they've had building it. PCSX2 has been around for about the same time afaik and they've never made OpenGL work all that good from what I can tell. Even on Nvidia I usually prefer DirectX.

Last edited by Desmondchaser, Mar 15, 2018
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  10. Lunos

Lunos GBAtemp Regular

Dec 26, 2010
    Uruguay
    Montevideo
    @jselby: Unrelated to the problem with the RAM, I just remembered the Telemetry tab and now I'm wondering:
    If I linked my GitHub account with the Citra Forums, inserted my Token, got verified and then I ran a videogame for about 5 minutes with Shader Emulation set to GPU, would that help you and the other developers to pinpoint whatever is causing the black screen issue in the standalone versions?
    Since I'm using the latest Citra Canary version, I thought that I should make the question in this thread, I hope I didn't screw up.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  11. aos10

aos10 ❤ Zelda ❤\(^o^)/

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    i downloaded citra, and it gives me 2 option, the nightly and canary
    the nighty works, but very very slow
    canary crash all the time
    i downloaded the game using wiiu usb helper, when i press play it open the nightly even if i didn't install it.

i also have the game on my 3DS, i dumped the .3DS and tried to load it and it says it needed to be decrypted and needed other files.

12. Miguel Gomez

Miguel Gomez GBAtemp Addict

Jan 10, 2016
    Planet Earth
    BTW. Don't download 3DS games on Wii U USB Helper. That app is terrible for 3DS. Also, we're not supposed to talk about downloading games here on GBATemp. It's against the rules.

So yeah. You better dump games from the 3DS or find that iso site on Google.

13. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    No one here really cares that much in the end, I don't think (hence why Freeshop and WUUSBH both have release pages here), but talking about urls to download stuff is a big no-no

aos10 and AceofZeroz like this.
  14. perkel

perkel GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2015
    Poland
    Testing latest canary build with gpu on AMD GPU with opengl.

i5-3570k@4,5Ghz | AMDHD7970(3GB) | 8GB ddr3 ram

CITRA Canary | HEAD-d610ac3
    - 4xnative resolution
    - accurate shaders

-----------------------------------
    TITLES WORKING EXCELLENT
    -----------------------------------

animal crossing: new leaf - 100% speed
    no bugs, near perfect emulation
    (a bit wobly sound like in other games and speeds up/down a bit for a second or two right after loading stuff)

cooking mama 4 - 100% speed
    (a bit wobly sound like in other games and speeds up/down a bit for a second or two right after loading stuff)

radiant historia perfect chronology - 100% speed

super mario 3d world - 100% speed

the legend of zelda: ocarina of time - 100% speed
    some geometry bugs (some parts of geometry stretching)

etrian oddysey V - beyond the myth - mostly 100% speed
    slight graphics artifacts - slight lod issues and some ui elements have small black line that which should not be there. Aside from those perfectly playable. Only slowdown i get is when i level up my skills and in equipment menu where it gets to 60/70%

river city: tokyo rumble - 100% speed

bravely default - 100% speed
    movies like intro have some weird very small thin line around it, aside from that nothing.

rune factory 4 - 100% speed

-----------------------------
    TITLES WITH PROBLEMS
    -------------------------------

nothing right now

----------------------
    TITLES CRASHING
    ----------------------
    fire emblem: shadows of valentia - crash after intro

LOGFILE
    It crashes right after initial intro.
    Looks like something is unimplemented judging by the log:
    • [ 22.851671] HW.GPU <Critical> video_core/renderer_opengl/gl_shader_gen.cpp:SampleTexture:297: Unhandled texture type 1
    • [ 22.852917] Debug <Critical> video_core/renderer_opengl/gl_shader_gen.cpp:SampleTexture:298: Uimplemented code!
    Title works in software mode but very very very slow (4-5% speed)

fire emblem: awekening - crash right after main menu.
    LOGFILE
    Same stuff as Shadows of Valentia. This time it crashes right after you select normal difficulty level when starting game. IMO game crashes because it tries to render 3D object, 2D rendering is completely fine.

fire emblem: awekening - crash right after intro.
    same as valentia. Menu has 3D objects so it crashes i same way.

monster hunter 4 ultimate - crash on boot
    LOGFILE

monster hunter XX 1.3 (eng patch) - crash after choosing character on loading
    LOGFILE

mario kart 7 - crash right after loading racing track
    LOGFILE
    ----------------
    hope that helps tracking amd bugs

Last edited by perkel, Mar 16, 2018
    DaMan, xmeee978 and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  15. Subötaï

Subötaï GBAtemp Regular

Jul 13, 2016
    Creeping Terror

CPU / GPU shaders emulation
    Specs: GeForce GTX 650 Ti, Intel i5 3330
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by Subötaï, Mar 17, 2018
    xmeee978 likes this.
  16. alexj9626

alexj9626 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 2, 2016
    Panama
    So i downloaded the latest build and i cant see any difference. I have a 7700k and a 1060. When i uncheck Limit Speed it stays at 60fps. With it "on/checked" it runs at 60fps but not stable at all.

Why is that? Im i doing something wrong? Im playing Pokemon Ultra Sun. Doubles are still really laggy.

17. Lunos

Lunos GBAtemp Regular

Dec 26, 2010
    Uruguay
    Montevideo
    What version are you using, though? Grab the latest Canary Build right here and make sure to set Shader Emulation to GPU in Emulation > Configure > Graphics.
    Worth mentioning, if you have an AMD GPU or an Intel iGPU it might not work correctly for now, the feature is quite new and it's being currently polished.

Last edited by Lunos, Mar 21, 2018
  18. alexj9626

alexj9626 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 2, 2016
    Panama
    Thanks, im using the latest. I also tried 4-5 different versions before that one. Same with Valentine's builds. Yeah i have that enable and im using a 1060 6gb so no AMD/iGPU.

Last edited by alexj9626, Mar 21, 2018
  19. SirNapkin1334

SirNapkin1334 Renound Aritst

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    Can Citra launch payloads (i.e. .firm / .bin files)?

20. Miguel Gomez

Miguel Gomez GBAtemp Addict

Jan 10, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Iirc nope. But code.bin for some nice game mods(ie SaltySD) can work. But Luma Payloads, nope.

SirNapkin1334 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice