Official Citra - New 3DS Emulator

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by bunnei, Apr 24, 2014.

1. JohnJohn3484

JohnJohn3484 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2017
    Greece
    I regenerated console id and it worked!! Thanks!!

Slidingbass likes this.
  2. perkel

perkel GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2015
    Poland
    b0b_d0e at r/citra dropped some heavy nukes on me and i can't not share with you guys:

"Amd fix is already done now. It doesn't impact performance for Nvidia it seems. The code is on the final stretch now and is getting ready to go live. From there we can track issues with specific games and stuff.

I've been keeping a spreadsheet of games performance differences but no one has tested mh xx so I can't say for that one. But here's some numbers from someone with a intel 3700k and a gtx 680 for some other mh games at 4x resolution and accurate mul on (which slows down all games but is required for some games) what I'm saying is if you drop resolution and turn off mul you'd likely get even faster, but we wanted to test the average scenario.

Monster Hunter Generations 50% -> 275%

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 10% -> 45%

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate 15% -> 50%

Monster Hunter Stories 5% -> 17%"

3. jroweboy

jroweboy GBAtemp Regular

Oct 23, 2016
    United States
    fyi my gamer tag is b0b d0e, but i code under my real name account jroweboy. i signed up for reddit for vidya game news, but signed up for gbatemp for responding to citra question, hence why my usernames are different. and yes thats accurate information. getting real close to release. every tester we had sent the build to agrees that its fast unless you have amd or integrated graphics (which is something we can't help much)

4. perkel

perkel GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2015
    Poland
    That clears up things !

AceofZeroz likes this.
  5. LouisBlaster72

LouisBlaster72 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2015
    France
    After I install a clean 4.5 nand (not mine) with my system archives from my 3ds, the version number shows up in system settings app like a real 3ds.
    Keyboard is also working but it crashes after pressing enter. Is my nand incomplete or the keyboard not fully operationnal ?

Here is the keyboard before it crashes.
    Capture.PNG

System settings app showing the true version number after install a clean nand.
    Capture2.PNG

6. Miguel Gomez

Miguel Gomez GBAtemp Addict

Jan 10, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Keyboard not fully functional for now. I tried it on my 11.6 n2DS and o2DS as well. No hope.

7. jroweboy

jroweboy GBAtemp Regular

Oct 23, 2016
    United States
    b3n30 is working on it. he got it to work completely.... except citra crashes when you close citra so its not quite ready yet. he was also looking at making a FOSS replacement for swkbd so we can distribute it with citra

Slidingbass likes this.
  8. demonata

demonata Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2010
    Hong Kong
    Is it jroweboy's personal note only or is it somewhere online?
    When comparing Etrian Odyssey V on nightly and canary,
    frame time are around 5ms versus 20ms (in-game tavern screen, true for at least 3 latest windows builds on each side)

9. Lunos

Lunos GBAtemp Regular

Dec 26, 2010
    Uruguay
    Montevideo
    I suppose that, in those tests, Jroweboy is talking about the upcoming feature that will boost the performance by passing some of the work that the CPU currently handles to the GPU. Users do not have access to it yet.

Last edited by Lunos, Mar 3, 2018
  10. demonata

demonata Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2010
    Hong Kong
    Thanks for clarification, that would be a great news to me.
    Kind of mixed it up with Phanto-m's texcache-pt2 since the page is under jroweboy's name...

Until next-gen boost shows up in canary though, I'll need to keep an nightly-571 copy,
    Etrian Odyssey V got the slow down in nightly-572 as predicted (Texture Cache Rework).

11. jroweboy

jroweboy GBAtemp Regular

Oct 23, 2016
    United States
    if texture cache rework slowed down the game, why didn't anyone report this so we could fix it? its the first time i've heard of any game slowing down. Can you show before and after for where its slower?

12. demonata

demonata Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2010
    Hong Kong
    Sorry but I haven't touch canary in ages....I was just checking canary only for Radiant Historia.

The slowdown is during whole game period (from title),
    The frame time simply jumped from single digit to double digit.
    The console log on both versions are 100% identical...
    (Edit: mingw, CPU JIT on, hardware renderer on, shader JIT on, VSync off, Limit framerate 100% (no effect when turn off), internal resolution auto window size)
    Below are rough numbers:

nightly-571(auto window size)
    in-town - frame time: 4.50ms
    dungeon - frame time: 5.50ms

nightly-572 (auto window size)
    in-town - frame time: 19.70ms
    dungeon - frame time: 24.40ms

Edit: Just found out what affects the most - internal resolution increase becomes much more costly after texture cache rework
    (behaviour not observed in nightly-571)

nightly-572 (native)
    in-town - frame time: 7-12ms
    dungeon - frame time: 14.30ms

And it took nightly-572 slightly longer (a full second?) to stop the emulation in both cases.

Last edited by demonata, Mar 5, 2018
  13. jroweboy

jroweboy GBAtemp Regular

Oct 23, 2016
    United States
    yesss the game has a demo. i'm getting sick of buying random games i'll never play just to fix bugs in them :P

I took a little time this morning to look into it. I can't seem to figure out why, but its doing 4 full screen texture downloads a frame which is of course killing the FPS and making the screen look blocky. As a work around you can change the internal resolution to native which minimizes the impact of a texture download (as it doesn't need to rescale it) The old nightly was just ignoring the texture downloads which breaks some games... I'll see if i can figure out how to fix it. Wish someone would have reported this before so it could have been fixed sooner ^^; When its fixed it should make it as fast as the old nightly and actually upscale the game properly (instead of just making the pixels more blocky)

Last edited by jroweboy, Mar 5, 2018
    AceofZeroz, xmeee978, DaMan and 2 others like this.
  14. jroweboy

jroweboy GBAtemp Regular

Oct 23, 2016
    United States
  15. perkel

perkel GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2015
    Poland

Congratz to team on huge critical update !

I have amd HD7970

Super Mario World 3D works 100% speed now (used to be 70-75% on unofficial builds), perfect emulation
    MH4U - crashes citra on boot
    MHXX/Gen - crashes AMD drivers and restarts PC after when i load save after main menu (weird) but seems 100% speed.
    Eterian Odysey V - crashes citra when in dungeon after a while but works 100% speed
    Rune Factory 4 - 100% speed so far no issues, perfect emulation

Speed wise seems perfect stuff, naturally canary so i guess some patches will smooth out experience soon.
    Amazing update !

Last edited by perkel, Mar 10, 2018
    DaMan, julialy, xmeee978 and 3 others like this.
  16. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Looks great, I'll give this update a go!

AceofZeroz likes this.
  17. Emogop

Emogop Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2016
    Russia
    Gulag, Siberia
    AMD HD5870, catalyst 15.6 (OGL 4.4)
    Fire Emblem Awakening - citra closes itself with 3d models appearing
    Metroid SR - driver crash at start or 2-3 sec after

So far so good!
    Are there any optimisations in plans or it's just hopeless for me?

18. Lunos

Lunos GBAtemp Regular

Dec 26, 2010
    Uruguay
    Montevideo
    I don't have an AMD GPU but I'll drop you the answer that I got in Citra's Subreddit because I think that it applies to your situation too:

Emogop and Slidingbass like this.
  19. Psi-hate

Psi-hate GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    I'm using an Intel i5 5200u processor with Intel HD 5500

I can run Pokemon Ultra Moon and SSB4 at full speed, when previously it was about 1/3 - 1/2 speed before.

AceofZeroz likes this.
  20. Miguel Gomez

Miguel Gomez GBAtemp Addict

Jan 10, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Why do AMD GPU tend to crash PCs?
    Even on the nearest Net Cafe(which are all AMD), it crashed. I dunno how and why did it crash when closing running log(Command Prompt) or something else.

Anyways, I haven't tried it yet but someone on the Smash 4 Discord said that they managed to get 60FPS at 10x Resolution on the latest Canary with accurate Hardware Render on. Not sure about that option. But yeah.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice