Gaming Cave Story DSi?

nl255

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Apparently Cave Story came out for DSiWare today, and I was wondering how it compared to the WiiWare version. For example, is it the full game (seems kind of small given how few blocks it is) or just the first part (kind of like how Bioshock for cellphones/BREW is just the first four levels). Also, if it is the full version what all is included compared to the PC and WiiWare versions.

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
I got it the second it came out; so far(I am about to go to the sand zone) it seems full and the same. I don't think it has the new music the Wiiware version has, but it has three savefiles, the (easy, normal, hard) difficulty options, the jukebox, and the ??? which I am assuming is Curly Game. (play as Curly Brace) I think it's awesome to have it portable on my DS. Supposedly it cuts off the edges a little bit, (DS screens are obviously smaller) but it doesn't downsize artwork, and I don't seem to notice it. So far it seems perfect. (A) and (Y) are jump, (X) and (B) are fire. [L] and [R] are to switch weapons, but you can also press start and go the the item menu to switch that way. Select is the Map. I really like how they made it work, and took advantage of the bottom screen.

But really. They wouldn't release some half-finished thing for ten dolla. And it is a 2D, simple-ish game. It doesn't need to be 100 blocks.

nl255

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Still, it is only 5.8MB while Super Metriod (most likely written in hand optimized ASM) is 4MB. Perhaps they use better compression?

As for releasing a half done thing, EA did it with Bioshock and Bioshock 3D for phones (Verizon/BREW, specifically) as those cost $8-10 and are only the first few levels. Though cave story is fairly simple

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yet another DSi game which makes me wish there would be a way to use those without a DSi.
frown.gif

Etalon

Former Akaio Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Macau
SignZ said:
Yet another DSi game which makes me wish there would be a way to use those without a DSi.
frown.gif

Come on. Let us have ~12 good games for our DSis.

When you have a DSTwo, you have GBA emulation and (almost) nobody else has it.
When you have a DSi, you have ART STYLE and Cave Story. And these belong to us. Us alone...
moogle.gif

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
Etalon said:
SignZ said:
frown.gif

When you have a DSi, you have ART STYLE and Cave Story. And these belong to us. Us alone...
moogle.gif
lol. It's true though. You shouldn't have to pay extra money for no reason.

nl255

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Etalon said:
SignZ said:
frown.gif

moogle.gif

You also have Shantae and Zenonia but yeah, there aren't many decent DSiWare games out there. I mainly got mine for the much larger screen (and yes, GBA games look great on a DSi XL).

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Presto99 said:
Etalon said:
SignZ said:
frown.gif

moogle.gif
lol. It's true though. You shouldn't have to pay extra money for no reason.

As far as I'm concerned, Shantae and Cave Story are fabulous reasons to shell out the money for a $150 asking price for a DSi, spend $20+ more on Nintendo Points, and stumble through the atrociously slow DSi Shop.

Well... Okay, it's pushing it. But they're still good games in their own right.

Etalon

Former Akaio Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Macau

nl255

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gagarin said:
I just bought it. On dsi xl looks just perfect. Can't say how much i love cave story.
Shantaee and this - absolutly must have

Yeah, even GBA games like Mother 3 look great. I wonder how the original Shantae will look, assuming it runs on Lameboy.

Kit_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Presto99 said:
1000. So you don't have to pay $20 to get something like a 1200 point game. Just $10.
I was happy to shell out 10 bucks for this. It's really fun.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool