Cave Story DSi?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by nl255, Nov 30, 2010.

Nov 30, 2010

Cave Story DSi? by nl255 at 10:07 PM (3,223 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. nl255
    OP

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apparently Cave Story came out for DSiWare today, and I was wondering how it compared to the WiiWare version. For example, is it the full game (seems kind of small given how few blocks it is) or just the first part (kind of like how Bioshock for cellphones/BREW is just the first four levels). Also, if it is the full version what all is included compared to the PC and WiiWare versions.

2. Presto99

Member Presto99 You slammin, bro?

United States
    I got it the second it came out; so far(I am about to go to the sand zone) it seems full and the same. I don't think it has the new music the Wiiware version has, but it has three savefiles, the (easy, normal, hard) difficulty options, the jukebox, and the ??? which I am assuming is Curly Game. (play as Curly Brace) I think it's awesome to have it portable on my DS. Supposedly it cuts off the edges a little bit, (DS screens are obviously smaller) but it doesn't downsize artwork, and I don't seem to notice it. So far it seems perfect. (A) and (Y) are jump, (X) and (B) are fire. [L] and [R] are to switch weapons, but you can also press start and go the the item menu to switch that way. Select is the Map. I really like how they made it work, and took advantage of the bottom screen.

But really. They wouldn't release some half-finished thing for ten dolla. And it is a 2D, simple-ish game. It doesn't need to be 100 blocks.

3. nl255
    OP

Still, it is only 5.8MB while Super Metriod (most likely written in hand optimized ASM) is 4MB. Perhaps they use better compression?

As for releasing a half done thing, EA did it with Bioshock and Bioshock 3D for phones (Verizon/BREW, specifically) as those cost $8-10 and are only the first few levels. Though cave story is fairly simple

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    This is about the DSiWare Cave Story, not the WiiWare.

5. EpicJungle

Member EpicJungle stop browbeating me can't you see i'm sexy

Canada
    How much points is it?

6. Presto99

United States
    1000. So you don't have to pay $20 to get something like a 1200 point game. Just $10.

7. SignZ

Member SignZ Timelord

Germany
    Yet another DSi game which makes me wish there would be a way to use those without a DSi. [​IMG]

8. Etalon

Member Etalon Former Akaio Fanboy

Morocco
    Come on. Let us have ~12 good games for our DSis.

When you have a DSTwo, you have GBA emulation and (almost) nobody else has it.
    When you have a DSi, you have ART STYLE and Cave Story. And these belong to us. Us alone... [​IMG]

9. Presto99

United States
    lol. It's true though. You shouldn't have to pay extra money for no reason.

10. nl255
    OP

You also have Shantae and Zenonia but yeah, there aren't many decent DSiWare games out there. I mainly got mine for the much larger screen (and yes, GBA games look great on a DSi XL).

11. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    As far as I'm concerned, Shantae and Cave Story are fabulous reasons to shell out the money for a $150 asking price for a DSi, spend $20+ more on Nintendo Points, and stumble through the atrociously slow DSi Shop.

Well... Okay, it's pushing it. But they're still good games in their own right.

12. Etalon

Member Etalon Former Akaio Fanboy

Morocco
    Just have a look at Metacritic:

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/sco...tary-nav;item;5

A lot of DSiWare games got a very high ranking. And they aren't really expensive - 2-5 Euros the most.

Well. Get used to it. As soon as 3DS comes out... You know that. [​IMG]

13. Gagarin

Member Gagarin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I just bought it. On dsi xl looks just perfect. Can't say how much i love cave story.
    Shantaee and this - absolutly must have

14. nl255
    OP

Yeah, even GBA games like Mother 3 look great. I wonder how the original Shantae will look, assuming it runs on Lameboy.

15. Kit_

Newcomer Kit_ Member

United States
    I was happy to shell out 10 bucks for this. It's really fun.