Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Sora de Eclaune said:
If I had not read the description in the video's page, I would have always thought the title of this topic was a typo, and it was "Cave Story 3 DS".

For some moments, I wondered where Cave Story 1 and 2 were.

So there is a new Nintendo DS coming out? I had no idea.
Do you live in a cave?

And yes. Not just a new DS, the successor to the entire DS line. 3DS is to DS as DS is to GBA. The system has full stereoscopic, movie style 3D, but without the glasses.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sora de Eclaune said:
If I had not read the description in the video's page, I would have always thought the title of this topic was a typo, and it was "Cave Story 3 DS".

If you are serious, here you go. FAQ

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Hmm.

Well, ordinarily I wouldn't mind very much that a game franchise's art style has changed. After all, I do hold gameplay in a higher regard than graphics. However, I think Cave Story is a special case. Its art style is part of its charm and appeal, I think. It was, after all, originally created in the vein of an 8-bit shooter, complete with pixelated graphics and a great chiptune soundtrack. The game simply oozed with retro appeal because of this. If the style, a huge part of what made us love the game in the first place, away, one is left with a severely compromised version of a beloved game that only makes us wish we were playing the original.

Buuuut, that's just my opinion.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You know, assuming it keeps the same "camera" distance as the original you won't even notice all the details that you all seem to hate in the models.

If anything, it's likely these are just early production models used solely for PR. Wouldn't surprise me if they used completely different models for actual gameplay that would look better scaled down to vanilla Cave Story size.

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This looks more like a DS game than a 3DS game.

Oh, cave story, it seems you may be the next guitar hero
tongue.gif
And you were so cool at first too.

Stevetry

Most perverted person in GBATEMP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Midna said:
Sora de Eclaune said:

Do you live in a cave?

And yes. Not just a new DS, the successor to the entire DS line. 3DS is to DS as DS is to GBA. The system has full stereoscopic, movie style 3D, but without the glasses.

Dude i been answering this question were i work people thinking is just another ds Nintendo should have name it something else

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stevetry said:
Midna said:
Sora de Eclaune said:

Do you live in a cave?

Dude i been answering this question were i work people thinking is just another ds Nintendo should have name it something else

Well I mean the Gameboy had an "upgrade" I guess with the Gameboy Color. Then a completely new system came out called the "Gameboy Advance" and I'm not sure if people confused it or not.

But yeah, I had to tell some dipshit on my Facebook that the 3DS isn't a new DS model like the Lite but a new system, so I understand the struggle.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Stevetry said:
Midna said:
Sora de Eclaune said:

Do you live in a cave?

Well I mean the Gameboy had an "upgrade" I guess with the Gameboy Color. Then a completely new system came out called the "Gameboy Advance" and I'm not sure if people confused it or not.

But yeah, I had to tell some dipshit on my Facebook that the 3DS isn't a new DS model like the Lite but a new system, so I understand the struggle.
Yeah it's kind of a pet peeve of mine when people call the GBC the second version of the GB. They're two different generations, same with the DS and 3DS.

But I digress.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Don't forget that between the original gameboy and the gameboy color, there was the gameboy pocket.

Man that was a necessary move, much nicer screen and smaller form.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
Don't forget that between the original gameboy and the gameboy color, there was the gameboy pocket.

Man that was a necessary move, much nicer screen and smaller form.
And apparently there was a 1995 version and in Japan there was a "light version"...O_O
It had a backlight...that woud have helped so much. That said, Pocket, 1995, and Light are all the same generation as the GB

Anyway, I don't think the graphics are terrible, they just kind of miss the point. I'm more worried about the music.

Net_Bastard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quote looks like an inflatable balloon. You know how the detailed fanart for this game always gives the characters human proportions (I.E. no oversized heads)? Well now I know why. It's an early beta, so they probably have time to change things and find out that the current look they're going for is shit. Or I can hope...

Traversal

Soooo cool!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, why is everyone complaining again? This isn't even gameplay footage. As others have said, this is probably just some teaser trailer that was made in like, 5 minutes.

I'm guessing this footage does not represent anything in the final product. How 'bout we all wait until some actual gameplay footage until we start freaking out.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Traverse96 said:
Yeah, why is everyone complaining again? This isn't even gameplay footage. As others have said, this is probably just some teaser trailer that was made in like, 5 minutes.

I'm guessing this footage does not represent anything in the final product. How 'bout we all wait until some actual gameplay footage until we start freaking out.

The thing is that the gameplay in Cave Story can't really go wrong. What everyone is worried about is how they present it so much of the original was based off great artwork and music, which seems something that'd be completely destroyed in a 3D remake.

Honestly, if they wanted 3D on the 3DS, why not go the route of some of those NES tech demos? I though I remember them showing a tech demo of Super Mario Bros. in 3D. It still looked like NES-era graphics but with stuff popping out. That way they can cash in on the 3D gimmick and not completely ruin Cave Story's looks and sounds.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Rydian said:
If they do release it with the same graphics people are going to bitch and not want to pay money for "the same thing" they can get on the DS, Wii, and free on PC.
They could have remade the graphics on other way. I think cellshade would work wonders on this type of remake they have on mind. Or something like Braid.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!