Castlevania: Symphony of the Night gets a mobile version on iOS/Android

OMvGBdm.jpg

The classic Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is headed to a new and unexpected platform. After the 1997 game got re-released multiple times, for the PlayStation Portable and Xbox 360, and most recently on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 as part of Castlevania Reqiuem two years ago, SOTN has launched on mobile platforms. You can grab it for a mere $2.99 on either Google Play or the App Store. According to the app page, the mobile port features compatibility with controllers and a "new continue feature".

:arrow: Source

drickmel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean playing the game with Japanese voices but with English text?

Fuck no, may the heavens forbid me from that punishment.

I really don't like hearing Japanese language being spoken in acting for games or TV, like at all.
I find it extremely overreacted to the point of being annoying and distracting, only in live-action movies I am okay with, but not in those two.

I prefer the cheesiness of original US SotN over the Japanese one any day.

Eh to each on their own. I am not a native English speaker so it's different for me. I usually prefer the original source be it Japanese, Korean, German, etc. But I wish Alucard's voice in Lords of Shadows would be the consistent voice of Alucard throughout the English Castlevania franchise, he really captures Alucard too. Just like Reuben Langdon that's always been voicing Dante.

But honestly, I do not find the redub in DxC bad at all. I actually prefer it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

oh god no. I don't even watch Anime anymore lol. I just prefer everything in their original language for authenticity but that's just me.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatever, I was tired. Nevertheless, I see Capcom are dicks and refuse to launch the game on the Switch.

Uh...did Joe Biden take over your account? This is a Konami game!

oh god no. I don't even watch Anime anymore lol. I just prefer everything in their original language for authenticity but that's just me.

That's probably a good thing considering that this exists:

Reactions: drickmel

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
are you fucking kidding me. we are getting a mobile port before we can even get on pc or the switch........
It's not difficult to emulate on PC or switch... Any hardware that can run Retroarch can run it fine. Phones included.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another useless re-release. Million times gets released and yet still fail to make a definitive edition of SOTN that includes Saturn content minus the crappy graphics and slowdown and new content as well. I rather just play this on Retroarch in Android with CRT filters, savestates, real time rewind and runahead. Infinitely better than all SOTN ports combined lol.

More than 10 years already and I am still waiting for Esco to finish his impressive SOTN mod https://www.patreon.com/sotnhacked

Once that's out then that is going to be the definitive SOTN for me.
I'm starting to wonder if they're lazy, or if they just lost the source code.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not difficult to emulate on PC or switch... Any hardware that can run Retroarch can run it fine. Phones included.
I am less concerned about a pc port and more so switch port anyway. having an actual port would be a lot nicer then running the risk of getting banned or botching the tin foil(had to remove it when I finally needed that right joy con back)

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Eh to each on their own. I am not a native English speaker so it's different for me. I usually prefer the original source be it Japanese, Korean, German, etc. But I wish Alucard's voice in Lords of Shadows would be the consistent voice of Alucard throughout the English Castlevania franchise, he really captures Alucard too. Just like Reuben Langdon that's always been voicing Dante.

But honestly, I do not find the redub in DxC bad at all. I actually prefer it.

Hey I'm no native English speaker neither (as suggested by the flag), but I can understand you sentiment as well.
I always prefer watching the original language of a live-action movie or series when given the chance, since I feel watching it dubbedtakes merit away from the original actor/actress, even Japanese material of this matter.

However, to me that does not apply to animated shows, and in some regard to games as well if it is from Japanese origin. Called me biased or whatever, but I have never enjoyed in any extend listening to over-the-top Japanese actors in cartoons or gaming. Add to that the fact that I grew surrounded with otakus to the point of despising their wanna-be "Japanese" dialect.

So yeah, that's why lol

As for the SotN case, it is more of a classic case of script than anything else.
It's like trying to plar RE1 with no cheesy dialogue, it kinda loses its charm.

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
You know what? i'm getting it because its super cheap and because i can probably connect my Joycons to my phone super easy.
You'll have bad lag, unless you got Android 11 or installed the custom Bluetooth stack on a rooted phone.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You'll have bad lag, unless you got Android 11 or installed the custom Bluetooth stack on a rooted phone.
Who cares, 'll be playing Symphony of the Night on my phone using Joycons. Besides i know the game too well so i can adapt to the lag quite easily.

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont really care that this isn't on Switch, I have it for my Vita when it went on sale and still haven't gotten to playing it yet ( I know, I suck ) but it seems logic defying why they would put it on mobile but not also at least Switch since fans are begging for it

Switch has really screwed the pooch on so many ports too though even if they see the light of day just being poorly implemented. I like mine for the few exclusives I play it on, but it feels like Nintendo has milked that one way beyond what I thought they could and are still getting away with it. Makes me miss the 3DS days, which I caught the tail end of the cycle for / the last couple years. Got my first one in 2016

Last edited by playstays_shun,

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
or lucky like me, hehehe
not sure if it's my tablet or that it's on kit kat but it seems to work fine on a galaxy tab 4

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I really don't like hearing Japanese language being spoken in acting for games or TV, like at all.
I find it extremely overreacted to the point of being annoying and distracting, only in live-action movies I am okay with, but not in those two.

I prefer the cheesiness of original US SotN over the Japanese one any day.

for me is the opposite. i prefer the Japanese dub over the cheese english. and i thank Zeus for be able to play undub games. but is a matter of opinion. is not like you or me are wrong XD

Reactions: ShadowOne333

Ampersound

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Touchscreen Controls are only for masochists.
When i tried connecting a controller to my phone it had like half a second of input lag. No way i am getting this.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Good luck going through the inverted castle with touch controls, it's already hard as fuck with a controller...

SaiyaTrunX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The price is fair in my opinion. Controller support makes the game playable, even runs great on android tv via manual install. Sadly everything is rendered in sd and not the native device's resolution.

Reactions: Jayro

Kennerc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I wonder if that's what the scroll next to the dpad is about

It's for quick spells, once you input it you can cast at a single press.
Seriously, everyone complaining but the game, but the port is simply awesome, I'm having more success with soul steal than I had on an actual controller, and I have Tetra spirit on my quick spell, so I don't have to charge.
The game autosaves at every room, and has Maria and Richter unlocked from the start.
I wish more companies did good ports like this, and with this price.

Edit: wording.

Last edited by Kennerc,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-