Rokid Max AR Glasses Impressions

GBAtemp Rokid Max Impressions.png

Rokid, the AR company behind the compelling Rokid Air augmented reality (AR) glasses, are about to launch a new consumer-oriented model, the Rokid Max. Like with their former consumer AR glasses, the Rokid Max operates by plugging into a smartphone and can mirror the latter’s screen as well as provide true AR features through a dedicated app. The Rokid Max improves on its predecessor by being lighter, offering a larger FOV and higher refresh rate.

As the company is taking pre-orders for this product, caution is advised but Rokid has been on track with delivering its products in the past. The model under review is a pre-mass production model, and there might be slight variations but the overall experience should be very close to the consumer unit. So let’s don these AR glasses and see if it depicts a bright future!

Rokid will be asking $439 with some extra perks for early backers. The following items are included in the package:

• Rokid Max AR glasses
  • Lens cover
  • USB-C cable
  • Hard carry case
  • Cleaning cloth
  • Adjustable nose pads
contents.jpg

Additional specs details of the Rokid Air can be found below:

specs.jpg

When it comes to the aesthetics, the Rokid Max veers away from the sci-fi looks of the Rokid Air and bears some resemblance to the Nreal Light AR glasses. While I didn’t mind the Rokid Air’s bold look, the look of these new smart glasses might be more appealing and more socially accepted than the latter. They are also lighter and will support prescription lenses which the Air couldn’t. Having the support of lens inserts is a personal win as AR glasses don’t really fit over regular glasses and are barely usable otherwise for bespectacled users like myself. However, the early model tested didn’t come with the lens inserts and I cannot comment on them but these should be included in the final retail model.

Also new are the removable nose pads which is a welcome feature to adjust the glasses for a comfortable fit. However, the mechanic employed to remove them is a bit finicky and could be improved. Rokid says that they are working on it, so hopefully they deliver.

front 2.jpg

front 1.jpg under.jpg nose pads.jpg

All of the Rokid Max’s accessories fit in the included carry case which is really handy. This makes the case an all-in-one must-have companion as it’s really the only thing you need to bring to have access to AR content on your phone. However, the zipper of the case is quite thin and is also finicky to use. The company also told me they are working on improving this issue, and I hope they do for the convenience of customers.

Given the lightweight aspect of these AR glasses (75g), they are comfortable to wear over extended periods of time. Rokid also sells a strap that loops at the back of your head should you want to further secure the glasses and prevent them from falling.

Images delivered through the Rokid Max’s screen are crisp and the audio output from the integrated speakers in its arms are clear and balanced. You can further adjust the brightness to your liking thanks to a dedicated brightness rocker. But it can be confused with the volume rocker just in front of it on the same arm. This potential for confusion could have been averted by having the volume and brightness rockers on different arms and it might be something for Rokid to consider before mass production begins.

volume.jpg

case.jpg strap.jpg

Plugging the Rokid Max to an Android phone’s USB-C port will mirror the latter’s screen. This expands the screen size akin to viewing a 215” screen with 120Hz refresh rate. However, simple screen mirroring through AR glasses is something I am not totally in favour of as the result is merely a static screen that moves wherever your head/glasses moves. The novelty effect wears off quickly as opposed to having true a holographic, 3DoF screen. The latter would hover and stay put in place (even when moving your head) akin to a virtual screen you position in your environment.

Rokid did have this feature in an earlier version of their AR app but this hasn’t been brought back, though I’m told it’s a planned feature in the coming months. I really hope they do as having access to your pre-installed and familiar apps without native AR support in AR mode is a truly compelling experience that is more akin to a “killer feature” than any other apps. What would make it even more compelling is having the ability to open multiple windows of pre-installed apps in 3DoF, say your browser, your music playlist and a word document, to make the glasses a highly portable multitasking powerhorse. I really hope AR companies do integrate these features in the future as they highlight the productivity and daily-driver features of AR.

app 1.jpg

Images are way more crisp than what has been captured here

That said, Rokid has a dedicated Android app, Rokid AR, which operates in 3DoF and showcases AR features in action. It features a 3DoF-enabled in-app browser with 3 simultaneous, resizable and repositionable holographic windows. You could use the browser to sign in to your online accounts and multitask from there but this can lead to privacy issues, hence it would be better to be able to access pre-installed apps in 3DoF and multitask from there.

The Rokid AR app also features a growing library of AR apps - more than what competitors like Nreal offers - and provides greater value-for-money than what other mobile AR companies have to offer. All apps that were functional on the Rokid Air are compatible with the Rokid Max. And the number of software has been steadily growing, ranging from social media to games. While they are not killer apps per se, they do provide a good indication of what’s possible with the technology.

app 3.jpg

app 4.jpg app 2.jpgapp 5.jpg

Given the similarities on the software side with the previously released and cheaper Rokid Air, the Rokid Max’s existence begs the question: why get it at all? At this point, it’s mostly a soft update than a full upgrade. But this doesn’t mean it’s bad as it pack compelling features such as lighter weight, bigger FOV, higher refresh rate and a larger holographic screen.

If you prefer a more discreet look, then the Max has it. This new model also supports lens inserts which is a must-have for prescription glass wearers and wasn’t supported with the Rokid Air. The company might also have plans for accompanying hardware down the line which could work better with the Rokid Max but this remains to be seen.

As it stands, the Rokid Max is a decent contender in the consumer AR space. It is lightweight, competitively priced, has a host of compatible apps and delivers crisp images. Even with the pre-retail unit tested, the hardware and software experience felt polished and will deliver a worthy AR experience if you decide to adopt the Rokid Max as your first/new pair of smart glasses.

Exclusive discount

If you're looking to get your hands on the Rokid Max, then you're in luck as Rokid has provided GBAtemp readers an exclusive discount!

Use the code GBATEMPROKID20 to get $20 off your purchase on the official Rokid store.

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've always been curious about one thing regarding these. Can people see that you're using the AR functionality? Like, If I'm at work and I turn on a movie or something, would my co-workers be able to see that I'm doing so? I've had a few jobs where I'm doing really dull and mindless work, like doing dishes, and thought that being able to chip through my backlog of stuff I want to watch while doing so would be nice.

Reactions: yoyoyo69

Hunter

i'ma stuffup the board
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.bundleupdates.com
XP
Country
Australia
I got myself the Viture One XR Glasses, no dock/neckband arrived yet since they are still in production,

how is the positioning of the display while wearing, with the viture you need to put the glasses arms about half an inch down over the top of your actual ears to have it look like it is nativaly infront of you, rather than looking down to it.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Oh, nice to see a Diopter adjustment.
I always wonder why it's not available on VR headset, like PSVR2 and you still have to wear and fit your glasses under it.

Could you test it ? do you have myopia or something else you couldn't test ?
Or is it not an adjustable lens, but more a set of different lens you have to clip on it ? you said it comes without them, so maybe it's the latter.

Edit:
I saw on the official website that the Myopia feature is integrated into the glasses, there's a 0.00 to -6.00 rotative gear on each eye. (Something Sony could have done on PSVR)
That's nice that they also allow the users to fit their own lens if needed.

Last edited by Cyan,

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
I've always been curious about one thing regarding these. Can people see that you're using the AR functionality? Like, If I'm at work and I turn on a movie or something, would my co-workers be able to see that I'm doing so? I've had a few jobs where I'm doing really dull and mindless work, like doing dishes, and thought that being able to chip through my backlog of stuff I want to watch while doing so would be nice.
They'll have to pay close attention to the lenses to see something like a tiny window. These glasses use a system of reflection from a main "screen" to have the display within your field of view. When the AR feature is off, there's nothing someone will see (either the wearer or someone from the outside), only tinted lenses.

I got myself the Viture One XR Glasses, no dock/neckband arrived yet since they are still in production,

how is the positioning of the display while wearing, with the viture you need to put the glasses arms about half an inch down over the top of your actual ears to have it look like it is nativaly infront of you, rather than looking down to it.
No issues with fiddling with the glasses for appropriate viewing. Rokid has been on the market for some time so they might have the edge in this design aspect.

Oh, nice to see a Diopter adjustment.
I always wonder why it's not available on VR headset, like PSVR2 and you still have to wear and fit your glasses under it.
depending on the type of your prescription lenses, you'd still need glasses or lens inserts. In my case for example, I have astigmatism and those types of diopter adjustments don't really work for me. That's why I'm a vocal advocate of having prescription lens inserts for such devices :)

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
@Prans can you confirm the following:

1. Can you see your shirt's reflection when using it? Rokid Air did
2. SBS 3d without an app works correctly (broken in Rokid Air)

Also I find the company a bit sketchy where they have the equivalent of give us a 5 star review and we'll give you $60 discount if you owned a rokid air. Like I don't even trust them enough that they'll give the offer

@PepponeCorl, it's not great for VR. FoV is pretty low and the app they use isn't great based on the VR titles they are offering.

@Kurt91, on my air, they're like 3/4 of an inch x 1/2 inch on both lenses. I'd say, if someone with good vision can easily see if it's not work. I'm just glad they're finally providing black out covers because on my air, I had to print my own and use magnets.

Thanks

Last edited by fvig2001,

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the specs the Nreals do seem a bit more appealing which have been on my list for a while. I did hear something about them going to a tech conference might be talks of a new model already.

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
1. Yes you can see a slight reflection but I don't mind it as much
2. Not sure what you mean
I was asking if 3d side by side works. Load up a side by side 3d video through like a laptop and then press and hold the brightness key. In the original 3d mode will turn on but the video width is half

Given how the reviews for this product are all iffy and none of them wanted to try the 3D SBS, I'd stay away from the product until we get real reviewers. I found all the reviewers on Youtube very suspect. I wouldn't be surprised if this review is also suspect given how much was glossed over.

Last edited by fvig2001,

Paralel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The one thing I don't understand is why this first gen of AR products don't use a tether to a belt/pocket mounted module. Yeah, having a tether is not a thrill, but it would allow for so much greater freedom in design, likely far better optics, and far greater capabilities because it wouldn't all have to be shoved into the glasses frame. Batteries and other technology aren't far enough along to allow for it all to be put into a frame without serious compromise. For the 1st gen of AR that is actually useable, people need to embrace the tether to get to where the technology is actually useable and something people really want to use, like the iPhone, then they can refine it until it can fit into glasses without compromise.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over