Open-source AR device, Monocle, launches arGPT app

monocleAR.jpg

The extended reality (XR) market has been experiencing a boom as of late, with companies like XREAL, Rokid and even Apple launching new XR-related products. While hailing from different companies, these devices are similar in that they are closed source and can get quite pricey; but Brilliant Labs is taking a new approach with their AR device, the Monocle, as is open source and more affordable than competitors.

In addition, the device packs a different form factor than what we've been used to. Rather than being a whole headset, the Monocle works by clipping it onto your own glasses (like its namesake) to provide a heads-up display. Enclosed in the device is a host of sensors and components, including a 720p camera, touch sensor and micro OLED display, all weighing 15g. The display output is at 640x400 resolution with a 20° FOV and can be programmed through a web interface.

Currently, the Monocle needs to be paired to a smartphone to activate some cloud-based apps but Brilliant Labs aims to eventually do away with a phone host. The company has also recently received new investments to further pursue its AR goals.

monocle specs.jpg

monocle 1.jpg monocle 2.jpg

Costing $349, the Monocle has already started shipping to consumers, but the target is mainly developers, tinkerers and early adopters who already amount to 2,000 in the Discord community. The device can thus be mostly considered as a dev kit but some interesting applications have been developed, with the latest being from Brilliant Labs itself. The company has launched arGPT for the Monocle, a ChatGPT integration that enables users to interact with and experience ChatGPT commands right from their eyes. The video below shows the new app in action:

It would be interesting to see further gaming and general uses of this tech, as devices like the Nreal Air have become popular for mirroring game consoles' display on a larger, virtual screen. As commands on arGPT can range from games recommendations to game walkthroughs, the Monocle could become a gaming companion for such use cases; or maybe even have dedicated text-based games. As this is an open-source device, its potential lies within the community input and we'll likely come across more software for the Monocle in the near future.

:arrow: SOURCE

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone who cannot see near objects very well at all, this absolutely pains me to say that it will be utterly useless to people like myself. Especially because, being born with only one working eye, traditional VR/XR/AR headsets also don’t work for me. This is the first one I was excited about because… Well because it doesn’t require two eyes and depth perception.

Fuck my life, man.

Djidane

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I wouldn't mind nice/stylish glasses (even if it is use as display only) for that price. Almost convinced myself to buy google one if cheaper.
That thing is way to big.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
OMG enough with the VR, AR bullshit already...Jesus!
Post automatically merged:

But can it display crysis? No crysis, no buy.
It can play DooM 95...
Post automatically merged:

You don't see it because it's over 9000.
Will that meme ever die? (i don't think so)

Reactions: Kevbo

pinbi7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
what bugs me the most is the form factor, why not make glasses and hide some of the components inside the frame, they even show the darn thing being mounted onto glasses! oh right! it's because everybody and their mothers are making AR glasses these days!

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
great for spies being fed info..

Futurama episode where Lila and Fry are hiding in a 3d theatre on an all-robot planet

Watching a 3d movie with glasses: Fry (wearing blue and red specs) says this 3d is great... Lila ( with one eye) moves the glasses from the red to the blue lenses and back repeatedly saying..
" Mine's not working"

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
great for spies being fed info..

Futurama episode where Lila and Fry are hiding in a 3d theatre on an all-robot planet

Watching a 3d movie with glasses: Fry (wearing blue and red specs) says this 3d is great... Lila ( with one eye) moves the glasses from the red to the blue lenses and back repeatedly saying..
" Mine's not working"
With only one eye though Leela would never be able to properly recognize depth to begin with. 3D vision both in movies and in reality would be a concept beyond her grasp of comprehension to begin with. Which totally makes it all the more concerning that she was named captain/pilot of Planet Express.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
With only one eye though Leela would never be able to properly recognize depth to begin with. 3D vision both in movies and in reality would be a concept beyond her grasp of comprehension to begin with. Which totally makes it all the more concerning that she was named captain/pilot of Planet Express.
She compensates for a lack of binocular vision with increased acuity for monocular depth cues, thanks to the freakishly oversized eyeball.

Also there's plenty of one-eyed pilots out there.

And also she's the only member of the crew who isn't a complete moron.

She's just annoying.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also there's plenty of one-eyed pilots out there.
Even if there are, it's gotta make it all that much more of a barrier to that path in life. Not that she couldn't rise above the odds, it's just a bizarre choice of a career to give her specifically.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto