Can you override your old wad...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Killer Phantom, Jan 26, 2009.

Jan 26, 2009
  1. Killer Phantom
    OP

Member Killer Phantom GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've modded my Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles My Life as a King wad file to have infinite gil/elementites, I'd like to know if I need to remove the old one first before I install the new one.

I've only modded 00000002.app with hex editor, is there a chance of bricking? Thanks for your time.

2. slaphappygamer

Member slaphappygamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    it will get oberwritten and you may brick your wii. thats ok, though, cuz you have a way to recover, right?

3. JKR Firefox

Member JKR Firefox Back.

Canada
    From personal experience (or OCD...I'm not sure which), I prefer to remove the .wad first and then install the new one. It doesn't take long at all. If there are any risks associated with attempting to overwrite a wad file, I've yet to see one mostly because I've never attempted to overwrite.

If you are scared of a possible brick, just be sure you always have a way of recovering your Wii in case anything goes wrong and you should never have to worry about that happening.

4. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    You should NEVER do that when handling any of the IOS (Mainly IOS30 if on 3.2 or IOS50 on 3.4) or the SystemMenu wads.

5. JKR Firefox

Member JKR Firefox Back.

Canada
    I'd like to know why.

I've never upped my Wii from 3.2 sysmenu and I've never had an issue with doing this. I'd like a reason rather then I should NEVER do it.

6. Killer Phantom
    OP

Member Killer Phantom GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've heard it about someone recommending "overwritting" IOS rather than "deleting" it because they are required to run the Wii console, I suppose they are like system32 folder. Don't quote me on that though.

How many times did wad installation brick case occurred outside of banner brick? Just curious.

7. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    only in IOS is recomended to overide, in VC and WW you can delete first then write, but actually it is only recomend to delete the existing file IF you got an error while the installation...!!! [​IMG]

8. JKR Firefox

Member JKR Firefox Back.

Canada
    The OP was referring to .wad files not ios...

9. HaniKazmi

Member HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    IOS's are wad files too/

10. SoraK05

Member SoraK05 GBAtemp Regular

Kenya
    I've seen from experience that if you erase the System Menu with the WAD, and then re-install the System Menu in the same WAD Manager session, you'll end up with a brick - regarding system stuff, I think it's best never to erase it at all, and just to overwrite.. It's a full brick where it doesn't even get to the point that you can try to use a SaveMii..

11. gundalf

Member gundalf GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    And for games, if you uninstall the wad, then you will get aswell your savegames deleted.