Can rom hacking lead to nintendo bans?

James222

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If someone were to download a tool like flips to patch rom hacks and Nintendo were to shut down the website hosting the download, could they gather the ips of the downloaders and ban nintendo consoles on their wifi wetworks??

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some might not lead to a ban but plenty could -- if you modify the binary or do a cheat then it could detect that, and if you mod a texture then it could detect that and they do (texture mods can lead to aimbots and visibility hacks if there is any kind of stealth/blend in type feature/mechanic/aspect). Nintendo could also quite easily download the patch/patched game, compare differences and issue a check accordingly.

Even then while cheats might give your game away faster it is also more likely to be the modded firmware that does it these days (anything with an active online service is still getting updates or could plausibly get an update).

I could speculate more on what sorts of hacks they will if not be looking for then likely to fall foul of their checks but it would serve little purpose.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you had to dump the firmware/keys from your console and used that, and the emulator supported online in some fashion then maybe.

If you mean could nintendo either run a honeypot or get logs from the ROM hacking site and correspond that to their online access logs then possibly but they would not know it was you running the game (shared house, hotel, restaurant, library and all that) or that you used the hack unless you also did the thing above. I have never heard of anything like this happening -- the closest I have really is probably Sony seeking the IP addresses of people that watched a PS3 hacking video some years back.

Nintendo does not generally care about ROM hacks saving that running them usually means third party devices, modded firmwares, pirating software for their devices or potential cheats.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Well, technically yes, but no.
If a website were to give out the IP addresses of the uploaders of ROM hacks, they could ban people based on those addresses, but it could easily lead to false positives, so even if they did care about ROM hacks, they wouldn't do that.
Take fan games. Nintendo loves to take those down, but all the creators get is a DMCA notice. Nintendo doesn't attempt to get their IP addresses and ban their stuff.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean yeah sure but the specs are the same as a $50 model, it's just those pesky "quality of life" things driving up the price, like an actually working speaker, or buttons that don't melt, and stuff like that.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think all in my Pi 4 was well north of 200 bucks 150ish for the Pi 4 the case the fancy cooler, then like 70 for the 500GB MicroSD then like 70 for the Xbox controller. But honestly it's a nice set up I really enjoy and to me was worth every penny. (even bought more controllers for 2 or 4 player games.) hmmm have never played any 2 player games yet :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah that's what I hate about the RPi, it's supposedly $30 or something but it takes an additional $200 of accessories to actually turn it into a working something.
    yes that's the expensive part lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean sure it's flexible and stuff but so is uremum but it's fiddly.
    Yeah a lot of it I consider a hobby, using Batocera I am constantly adjusting the collection adding and removing stuff, scraping the artwork. Haven't even started on some music for the theme... Also way down the road I am considering attempting to do a WiiFlow knock off lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I want everything served on a plate plz ktnx, "work" is too much work for me.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Hmm, with that in mind, maybe a complete out-the-box solution with all the games collected, pacthed and optimized for me would be worth $150 :unsure:
    Yeah it's all choice and that's a good thing :)
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    animal crossing new leaf 11pm music
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    avatars-kKKZnC8XiW7HEUw0-KdJMsw-t1080x1080.jpg
    wokey d pronouns
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wokey d pronouns when woku walks in

"CALL ME THEY SLASH THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEM"
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :tpi::rofl2::rofl2: Right on point :rofl2::rofl2::tpi:
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    politics forum is def a place that exists
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
    +2
    "My party doesn't lie!!" ummm politician not lying? Has hell frozen over? lol
    +1
    Tries calling them
    +2
    Reach around and touch someone! AT&T!!!
    +1
    Especially me :D:evil::shy:
    +1
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol +1