Hacking can nintendo prevent me to use bootmii as boot2

stere0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have a question about bootmii, searched but could not find a conclusive answer. I have installed bootmii as boot2, can the nintendo with an update remove bootmii and prevent me from using it again as boot2? Can nintendo solve the boot2 issue with a update system? Or if i have a wii able to install bootmii as boot2 I can always use it as boot2.

thanks.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I thought they already did that on new Wii's, or some models of Wii's.
Not sure though. I guess not but don't take my word for it.

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
by making boot2 check all of it's own blocks to make sure bootmii is not in there.
laugh.gif

And if you replace boot2 how can boot2 check itself if the bootmii code and some older boot2 sits there now and it doesn't know that it should check itself?
To prevent bootmii boot1 must be fixed, but boot1 is only writable one time, this happens at factory, updates can't update boot1 to check boot2 so if you can install bootmii you will always be able to install it.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mousex said:
DeadlyFoez said:
by making boot2 check all of it's own blocks to make sure bootmii is not in there.
laugh.gif

And if you replace boot2 how can boot2 check itself if the bootmii code and some older boot2 sits there now and it doesn't know that it should check itself?
To prevent bootmii boot1 must be fixed, but boot1 is only writable one time, this happens at factory, updates can't update boot1 to check boot2 so if you can install bootmii you will always be able to install it.

That's what I thought but it's not entirely true. You CAN write to boot1... you'd just brick because boot0 is in ROM and performs checks on boot1. So you can actually change boot1... it would just fail the boot0 checks and be a permanent brick
lecture.gif

So to the original poster (yet again... and I KNOW this has been answered dozens of times on this board) it does not appear to be possible to block its installation if you have a Wii that it works on. I upgraded to 4.2 myself the official way and simply reinstalled bootmii as boot2.

harmor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
tj_cool said:
They can remove it from your system, but an update can NEVER block bootmii as boot2 out if you could install it before
As of now, they can't prevent bootmii being installed to boot2 even after an update. But there could be an update that comes out in the future that does prevent bootmii being installed to boot2 by making boot2 check all of it's own blocks to make sure bootmii is not in there.

If they could and did do that wouldn't the start up time take an unpleasant amount of time to start up?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well yes they could hav code which checks and possible writes to boot2 at each startup. but look at how much headache and money nintendo is dealing with for just this boot2 update which only writes to boot2 1 time for each wii. all you have to do is mention 4.2 and brick to nintendo and you get a new wii for free. and now for every wii that updates from under 4.2 officially will be doing the boot2 update. so they still have more people that will update and brick.

i bet they do as little writing there as possible from now on just to forgo the headaches.

Bumpman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In theory, nintendo could have the system menu check the boot1 version. If boot1 is older, it would overwrite boot2 once system menu starts.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
fivex said:
In theory, nintendo could have the system menu check the boot1 version. If boot1 is older, it would overwrite boot2 once system menu starts.
It would need a WAD of boot2 for that, and hackers could simply replace it..

Daco

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
giantpune said:
well yes they could hav code which checks and possible writes to boot2 at each startup. but look at how much headache and money nintendo is dealing with for just this boot2 update which only writes to boot2 1 time for each wii. all you have to do is mention 4.2 and brick to nintendo and you get a new wii for free. and now for every wii that updates from under 4.2 officially will be doing the boot2 update. so they still have more people that will update and brick.

i bet they do as little writing there as possible from now on just to forgo the headaches.
not true

my wii came with 4.0 & boot2v4

afaik the 4.2 update skipped boot2 cause it was already v4

Bumpman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tattar8 said:
fivex said:
Hash it. If changed or removed, the wii system menu will shut down the system.

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
fivex said:
tattar8 said:
fivex said:
Hash it. If changed or removed, the wii system menu will shut down the system.
Then hackers could just patch out the check...
Comeon the Wii is just to widely open now to do such things anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...