Hacking Bricked Wii with Bootmii boot2 by update?

zipperdoyle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is the history:

About two weeks ago I started with 2.0U (launch day Wii) system and installed HBC and Bootmii in Boot2 using zelda hack. Played for a few days and installed updated to 3.2U using the downgrader. Everything worked okay, except for the pre-loader, so I updated to 4.0U using Waninkokos update. It worked fine for about 2 days but then I was playing a WAD game that when I exited to Wii home it sent me to a black screen. I hard reset the wii and now I get a black screen when I turn on Wii and have to hard reset.

After this occurred I was able to load up Bootmii and I installed a backup Nand from a previous restore point. I've done this before in the past and it worked fine. Unfortunately, I still keep getting the black screen when I turn on the system. I've only been able to do the gamecube controller hack once to get back in to the system. After a day, the wii is no longer sending a signal to the TV when I turn it on. I'm unable to even get to the Bootmii screen anymore as the tv is waiting for the signal. I've double checked files, tv cables, and SD card when turning system on to load Bootmii. Do you think the system is completely bricked by the 4.0 update? I though that my system was unbrickable due to the Bootmii install. I'm able to turn on the wii using wii mote so it's not a broken BT module.

Thanks,

ZD

zipperdoyle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to check the PAL to NTSC being switched? I obviously don't have a PAL tv, but was wondering if I could change the bootmii config file or anything else. I'm leaning towards something broken inside the wii but would like to try to determine if I switched it to PAL somehow.

Cheers,

ZD

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Don't know if it's relevant but I remember seeing a boot2 update in 3.2 discs.... Maybe somehow a boot2 update corrupted your bootmii installation... Don't know what changed from 2.0 to 3.2 tough, someone from twiizers should know it better...

poseoff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bushing is activly part of the BootMii Forums and seems to have an interest in providing support. give him a shout and post a message. i'm sure he'll be willing to help. im not sure if i can post links here, but you find the forums at "forum.wiibrew.org/list.php?25"

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
poseoff said:
Bushing is activly part of the BootMii Forums and seems to have an interest in providing support. give him a shout and post a message. i'm sure he'll be willing to help. im not sure if i can post links here, but you find the forums at "forum.wiibrew.org/list.php?25"

Well it seems he has already posted...
http://forum.wiibrew.org/read.php?22,21783

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maby check the obvious try a different tv and a different video cable if you can borrow one to eliminate faulty cable/tv connections
smile.gif

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Waninkoko's v4.0 update does not in any way, shape or form touch your boot2. I have installed (upgraded) dozens of systems with his 4.0 update. It can only be one of these few things

1. You SD card is corrupt. Reformat with th epanasonic formatter and recopy your bootmii folder to the root of the newly formatted card.

2. Your SD card has a compatibility issue. You said you used it before, so this is unlikely. But, I would still try another card for the heck of it. Many newer cards will just go to a black screen (I have some 4GB cards that do this) but my old Sandisk 2GB works every time.

3. Something in hardware is defective on your system (ie: Nand chip died)

4. You really don't have bootmii boot2 installed. You said you did successfully install it as boot2 and used it before, correct? So, not likely.

zipperdoyle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zektor said:
Waninkoko's v4.0 update does not in any way, shape or form touch your boot2. I have installed (upgraded) dozens of systems with his 4.0 update. It can only be one of these few things

1. You SD card is corrupt. Reformat with th epanasonic formatter and recopy your bootmii folder to the root of the newly formatted card.

2. Your SD card has a compatibility issue. You said you used it before, so this is unlikely. But, I would still try another card for the heck of it. Many newer cards will just go to a black screen (I have some 4GB cards that do this) but my old Sandisk 2GB works every time.

3. Something in hardware is defective on your system (ie: Nand chip died)

4. You really don't have bootmii boot2 installed. You said you did successfully install it as boot2 and used it before, correct? So, not likely.

So I completed option 1 and 2 with the original SD card I used to do the Zelda hack and another SD card that I used to load up Bootmii at from a prior point. The Wii turns on and drive spins but no output to the TV (still waiting for signal). I'm certain that I did option 4 correctly as I've gone back to previous points. I have two sets of Wii video cables and neither of those are picking up the signal. I'm really thinking this is a hardware issue and it may be time to call the big N to see how much it costs to do out of warranty. There is a local dealer that says they can fix it by replacing the drive board although I'm not sure this is the issue. Is there a way to determine if the Nand is fried? The Wii drive slot flashes blue once when I turn it on so I'm not sure if this is standard or part of the Bootmii telling me it's alive.

ClockWorK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
set the config to load the system menu?

my buddy's TV does not display BootMii for some reason. Shows no signal. Haven't looked into it. But we set his config to load sysmenu after 5 seconds and that got him past that for now.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
zipperdoyle said:
So I completed option 1 and 2 with the original SD card I used to do the Zelda hack and another SD card that I used to load up Bootmii at from a prior point. The Wii turns on and drive spins but no output to the TV (still waiting for signal). I'm certain that I did option 4 correctly as I've gone back to previous points. I have two sets of Wii video cables and neither of those are picking up the signal. I'm really thinking this is a hardware issue and it may be time to call the big N to see how much it costs to do out of warranty. There is a local dealer that says they can fix it by replacing the drive board although I'm not sure this is the issue. Is there a way to determine if the Nand is fried? The Wii drive slot flashes blue once when I turn it on so I'm not sure if this is standard or part of the Bootmii telling me it's alive.

Bootmii flashes disc drive light twice if you don't insert a sd card or there is a compatibility problem with your sd card and it defaults to the normal wii boot process...

1. Check the sd card, formatting sd card, putting fresh bootmii folder there (chances are high)
2. Sd slot itself could be the problem (chances are low)
3. Some other software/hardware failure on your wii prevents the boot (chances are really low)

Especially check 1.

ps: Yeah somewhat it tells you it's there

zipperdoyle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiCrazy said:
zipperdoyle said:

Bootmii flashes disc drive light twice if you don't insert a sd card or there is a compatibility problem with your sd card and it defaults to the normal wii boot process...

1. Check the sd card, formatting sd card, putting fresh bootmii folder there (chances are high)
2. Sd slot itself could be the problem (chances are low)
3. Some other software/hardware failure on your wii prevents the boot (chances are really low)

Especially check 1.

ps: Yeah somewhat it tells you it's there

Did all of the above with fresh SD card and Bootmii folder with no luck. I'm thinking that this is definitely a hardware issue. I'm going to give the big N a call tomorrow to go through the out of warranty fix process. Anyone know how much it typically costs? I've heard 70-85.

ZD

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds like your wifi module has just went bad, you might want to do some research on that cause it can cause your problem.

edit: Completely re-reading your thread, and sense you said that bootmii is no longer starting up also, I'm starting to think this may not be your problem after all cause bootmii will still work with the wifi and bluetooth module completely removed so i'm unsure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Only thing you catch are STDs.