Bricked Wii on my hands, any help appreciated

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Heere, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Heere
    OP

Heere Member

Newcomer
    Mar 24, 2010
    United States
    Hi, a friend of mine just gave me his Wii, which he said was bricked a long time ago. I booted it up, and could only get to the System Menu by pressing - & + to enter maintenance mode. There's no HBC, Bootmii is not installed (I have a "prepared" SD card), and Priiloader is not installed. So it seems like I can't run homebrew. The message center is disabled in maintenance mode, so Letter Bomb is not an option.

What's really odd, to me, is that there seems to be absolutely no data on the Wii whatsoever. With it seeming like there was nothing else I could try, I ran the "Format System Memory". I let it run for about an hour, but it appears to be stuck.

What are my options at this point? I have a copy of Lego Batman, so I could try Bathaxx. Do you think I could get HBC installed that way while in maintenance mode? Once I can run homebrew, what should I do? Immediately install bootmii as boot2 and do a backup? Or try to fix the System Menu issue. This looks to me like a "mail brick", but how can I diagnose that?

Thanks for any information or suggestions :)

2. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Go ahead and try to follow the instructions here to see if it is a mail brick.

3. Heere
    OP

Heere Member

Newcomer
    Mar 24, 2010
    United States
    Yeah, as I mentioned, I can enter maintenance mode by pressing - & + at the "Press A" screen.

So it seems to be mail bricked, but I also don't seem to have a way to run HBC?

Should I try Bathaxx?

4. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    OK, I see that those instructions won't work without HBC. Absolutely go ahead and use Bathaxx at this point and run the mail brick fix after you install HBC.

5. Heere
    OP

Heere Member

Newcomer
    Mar 24, 2010
    United States
    Ok, I'll try Bathaxx when I'm back at home

6. Heere
    OP

Heere Member

Newcomer
    Mar 24, 2010
    United States
    I couldn't find my copy of Lego Batman, so I bought a copy of Lego Indiana Jones. Indiana Pwns worked, and I installed the HBC!

Now the Wii is in a situation that I've never heard of before. If I exit to the System Menu from the HBC, it works, and the Wii will start up fine and enter the System Menu if it's restarted. If I exit to the System Menu from an official channel, it blackscreens, and the Wii will not enter the System Menu upon restarting.

I ran the NAND filesystem tool mail brick fix with no luck, it got root and deleted the files, but I didn't get a "your mailbox will be reset" message or similar and it didn't fix the brick as I described.

I've tried re-installing the System Menu (4.3U) using MMM, and reinstall IOS80 via MMM from NUS with no luck.

Something about exiting to System Menu from HBC fixes the boot to System Menu, until an official channel is run, then the System Menu seems to be mail bricked again.

Any suggestions?

Here's my SysCheck:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

7. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Would you mind listing all the channels that are installed on the Wii? Thanks.

8. Heere
    OP

Heere Member

Newcomer
    Mar 24, 2010
    United States
    All of the channels are official Nintendo channels, and were installed since the attempted System Format mentioned above.

9. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Doesn't matter if they're official or not, sometimes channels that access the Internet could cause a brick.

10. Heere
    OP

Heere Member

Newcomer
    Mar 24, 2010
    United States
    I decided to restore the Wii by building a clean NAND using these instructions:

WARNING, IF YOU'VE ARRIVED AT THIS POST FROM A SEARCH ENGINE, THE FOLLOWING LINK CONTAINS INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO DO THE MOST RISKY THING POSSIBLE WITH YOUR WII. UNLESS YOU UNDERSTAND AND CONSIDER THE IMPORTANCE OF EACH STEP IN THE FOLLOWING GUIDE, YOUR WII WILL BE BRICKED AND WE CANNOT HELP YOU.
    http://spawn.link/factory-reset-revirginizing-your-wii/

It worked, the Wii is no longer "mail bricked" :lol:

It wasn't mail bricked to begin with, something else on the filesystem was messed up.

Margen67 likes this.
  11. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    it would have been nice to know what was causing the problem before you fixed it

12. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Yeah lol I kind of hate the nuclear option but I digress.

13. Heere
    OP

Heere Member

Newcomer
    Mar 24, 2010
    United States
    I have a NAND dump before the fix that I would send to anyone with sufficient skill to debug it.

NAND check seemed clean to me.