Hacking Breakdown of Gateway and the New 3DS + Sky3ds

dandymanz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
So today, Gateway released ver 3.0.4 to support 9.5 firmware. From this update, we can tell there has been no new additional features since ver 3.0.3. And with their news update on the New 3DS, it seems that they are really finishing up the New 3DS support this time.

But what is shocking to me is the news that now the n3ds cannot support 9.5 Emunand or higher. That means n3ds are stuck at 9.4 Emunand MAX. Then, how do you update to 9.4 Emunand?
1) If the n3ds comes with 9.4 out of the box, then Gateway has said they can only support up to Sysnand 9.2. So it wouldn't work. But 9.4 is unlikely.
2) If the new 3ds comes with ver 9.0 to 9.2, then you are stuck with this version as the Emunand because the current version is at 9.5 so you can't update the Emunand anymore.
3) If it does come out, can a game cart with ver9.4 be used to update Gateway Emunand running in classic mode?

So in all, is it worth now to get a n3ds, and be stuck at 9.2 sysnand, 9.4 emunand? I know there is always region free and cia support for Gateway. But how many other region games are you playing? And CIA always feels more of a gimmick to me. I still want my eShop access if possible.

Or maybe the Sky3ds is more suited for the N3DS, because you can continue to update your N3DS and it still continues to work fine on it. There's no need to wait for updates.

greeeed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Feel free to buy Sky3ds if you have EU/US N3DS.

Wait for GW if you have Japanese N3DS
(You can't change region with N3DS)

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
Feel free to buy Sky3ds if you have EU/US N3DS.

Wait for GW if you have Japanese N3DS
(You can't change region with N3DS)

???

Waiting is best no matter what type of N3DS it is, don't buy a sky yet unless you certainly want it

Gateway will support N3DS with the latest emunand eventually, only problem is how long

1) If the n3ds comes with 9.4 out of the box, then Gateway has said they can only support up to Sysnand 9.2. So it wouldn't work. But 9.4 is unlikely.

It'll should very likely come with 9.2 or less, i'm thinking actually 9.0 rather than 9.2 tbh anyway

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
N3DS users are stuck with the sysnand version they have and the emunand version will be the same as the sysnand one.
If it's 9.0.x.x/9.2.0.x, then all is good, your emunand version will be the same as your sysnand then, if it's 9.3 or higher, you are out of luck using a GW for a long time. (or ever)
So N3DS users will be stuck at an emunand version the same as there sysnand is!

It comes down to how many N3DS systems will be out with 9.0.x.x/9.2.x.x fw, those people will be lucky and when N3DS systems appear with 9.4.x.x/9.5.x.x., those people have bad luck.
You have to keep in mind, No system transffer and no eshop access ever if you want to keep using Gateway on the N3DS cause emunand 9.5 will not be supported on it for awhile

Reactions: Ralph1611

dandymanz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Reviewers have already gotten their N3DS and the firmware on those were 9.0 to 9.2.

Oh, i didn't know that. Thought it was still speculation. So far what i read seems to be reviewers telling people that they need to upgrade their firmware out of the box. Still doesn't rule out that it could be 9.3 even if it's a very low chance.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Don't care about eshop personally. Games update => .cia

9.4 or 9.2 for emuand is the same, so updating to 9.4 manually would be useless.

justln : Didn't saw any official confirmations yet (the only guy who seem to have the MM N3DS yet didn't made a video with it turned on, and he probably already updated it to 9.5 so we will probably never knew which firmware he had on it) so until I see a photo of the firmware version, I'm still doubtful about it.

So in all, is it worth now to get a n3ds, and be stuck at 9.2 sysnand, 9.4 emunand? I know there is always region free and cia support for Gateway. But how many other region games are you playing? And CIA always feels more of a gimmick to me. I still want my eShop access if possible.

Or maybe the Sky3ds is more suited for the N3DS, because you can continue to update your N3DS and it still continues to work fine on it. There's no need to wait for updates.

Depend of you. If you really want eshop access, it'll be sky3DS or nothing. But eshop is pretty useless, except to download games updates (you can install them manually on gateway with .cia files), I really don't see why so much people who use a piracy product care about an online shop where they will probably never buy anything from it o.O

I know I play a lot of foreign regions games, but I read Japanese so I'm not really in the majority.

I'm also really interested in homebrew (blargsnes for example), and .cia games are a nice addition when you want to share a game with two 3DS, this way you don't need two flashcards, one can boot the system with the flashcard then remove it, using the .cia game and the other can just use the flashcard.

But hey, Sky3DS is not a bad product at all, at least it don't seem so (it have 100% games compatibility too, right?), especially for N3DS and more especially for one that will be on 9.3+

If you only care about games from your region and nothing more, it's probably the best choice, as it's already released ;)

greeeed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
???

Waiting is best no matter what type of N3DS it is, don't buy a sky yet unless you certainly want it

Gateway will support N3DS with the latest emunand eventually, only problem is how long
Some people can't wait > even if they know they will cry tomorrow.

For me, I already have gateway.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, why would they wait if they think the Sky3DS is enough for them? Would be silly.

Most people who are willing to wait for the gateway often already have a 3DS and a gateway, so have something to play meanwhile they wait, it might not be the same for them.

Not to mention we are not even sure yet that first USA/EUR N3DS will have 9.2 or less, so if they plan to buy a USA/EUR N3DS, they will maybe not have the choice anyway. If it's 9.3, it useless to wait, it could take several years to find a new exploit, like the time it took for the 5.x+ exploit.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It would be useless to upload emunand to 9.4 once the N3DS exploit would be released.

Emunand 9.0, 9.2 or 9.4, it will change nothing for you.

The only reason people update their emunand is often to keep access to the eshop, and on N3DS, without 9.5 no eshop, so you might as well keep your original 9.0/9.2 emunand.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So today, Gateway released ver 3.0.4 to support 9.5 firmware. From this update, we can tell there has been no new additional features since ver 3.0.3. And with their news update on the New 3DS, it seems that they are really finishing up the New 3DS support this time.

But what is shocking to me is the news that now the n3ds cannot support 9.5 Emunand or higher. That means n3ds are stuck at 9.4 Emunand MAX. Then, how do you update to 9.4 Emunand?
2) If the new 3ds comes with ver 9.0 to 9.2, then you are stuck with this version as the Emunand because the current version is at 9.5 so you can't update the Emunand anymore.
3) If it does come out, can a game cart with ver9.4 be used to update Gateway Emunand running in classic mode?

Of course we can tell, it states what the firmware update was for on there website.

You make it sound like they will be stuck on 9.4 FOREVER. Copy and paste the information as you see it on there site.

dandymanz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Of course we can tell, it states what the firmware update was for on there website.

You make it sound like they will be stuck on 9.4 FOREVER. Copy and paste the information as you see it on there site.

Ok, here goes

GATEWAY ULTRA 3.0.4 PUBLIC BETA

Posted on February 3, 2015
Today we present just a quick update for our users with 9.5 emunand. This fixes the multirom menu not showing up and various updates for properly supporting 9.5 emunand.
We also want to inform our users about some news regarding emunand support for the New 3DS:
We will not be able to support emunand 9.5 or higher for a while on the New 3DS. This is only an issue for the New 3DS, the old 3DS and 2DS will never have this issue. This is not a definitive barrier, but we feel it necessary to inform our users that while we are still working on releasing our New 3ds support, we will not be able to provide support yet for 9.5 emunand or higher for New 3DS on release.
And as always ENJOY!

Knowing their "soon" from 2.5 months of experience waiting for a release. This "for a while" makes it sound like it could be a year or more.

Basically what i'm trying to get at is how willing are you to wait for a release with no known or confirmed date now?

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, here goes

Knowing their "soon" from 2.5 months of experience waiting for a release. This "for a while" makes it sound like it could be a year or more.

Basically what i'm trying to get at is how willing are you to wait for a release with no known or confirmed date now?

I waited 18 months....no N3DS yet so I'm still good with my 9.2 3DSXL.

dandymanz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I waited 18 months....no N3DS yet so I'm still good with my 9.2 3DSXL.

You see, that's the problem here. You already have your 3DSXL and are playing it. So you are satisfied.
But for people who do not own a 3DSXL. And have bought or plan to buy a N3DS/XL. This is a choice they have to make now.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The release will happen, you can still make emunand to install cia's and run homebrew. You should not update to 9.5 for the time being. Its just another mile stone they need to accomplish.

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well it's not like they're saying that the New3DS is stuck at 9.4 EmuNAND forever. They said it "will not be able to support emunand 9.5 or higher for a while". I'm guessing they still have to work out some few kinks for it.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The exploit isn't even released, so it's not really a problem xD I assume most people wouldn't care to not have emunand 9.5 on their N3DS for now as you lose nothing (as said before, game updates => cia).

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, why would they wait if they think the Sky3DS is enough for them? Would be silly.

Most people who are willing to wait for the gateway often already have a 3DS and a gateway, so have something to play meanwhile they wait, it might not be the same for them.

Not to mention we are not even sure yet that first USA/EUR N3DS will have 9.2 or less, so if they plan to buy a USA/EUR N3DS, they will maybe not have the choice anyway. If it's 9.3, it useless to wait, it could take several years to find a new exploit, like the time it took for the 5.x+ exploit.

The exploit isn't even released, so it's not really a problem xD I assume most people wouldn't care to not have emunand 9.5 on their N3DS for now as you lose nothing (as said before, game updates => cia).

The reason why these people are on the fence is because they think they could be missing out on the features of GW, but if they get sky3ds they can play there backup roms. BUT THAT IS ALL SKY3DS CAN DO. So its a toss up. Its really just stupid to come on a forum and ask people what they, themselves, should get.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...