Breakdown of Gateway and the New 3DS + Sky3ds

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by dandymanz, Feb 3, 2015.

  1. dandymanz
    OP

    dandymanz GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    177
    91
    Dec 5, 2014
    Senegal
    So today, Gateway released ver 3.0.4 to support 9.5 firmware. From this update, we can tell there has been no new additional features since ver 3.0.3. And with their news update on the New 3DS, it seems that they are really finishing up the New 3DS support this time.

    But what is shocking to me is the news that now the n3ds cannot support 9.5 Emunand or higher. That means n3ds are stuck at 9.4 Emunand MAX. Then, how do you update to 9.4 Emunand?
    1) If the n3ds comes with 9.4 out of the box, then Gateway has said they can only support up to Sysnand 9.2. So it wouldn't work. But 9.4 is unlikely.
    2) If the new 3ds comes with ver 9.0 to 9.2, then you are stuck with this version as the Emunand because the current version is at 9.5 so you can't update the Emunand anymore.
    3) If it does come out, can a game cart with ver9.4 be used to update Gateway Emunand running in classic mode?

    So in all, is it worth now to get a n3ds, and be stuck at 9.2 sysnand, 9.4 emunand? I know there is always region free and cia support for Gateway. But how many other region games are you playing? And CIA always feels more of a gimmick to me. I still want my eShop access if possible.

    Or maybe the Sky3ds is more suited for the N3DS, because you can continue to update your N3DS and it still continues to work fine on it. There's no need to wait for updates.
     


  2. greeeed

    greeeed Member

    Newcomer
    30
    6
    Nov 1, 2014
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feel free to buy Sky3ds if you have EU/US N3DS.

    Wait for GW if you have Japanese N3DS
    (You can't change region with N3DS)
     
  3. justln

    justln GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    708
    276
    Aug 16, 2013
    Reviewers have already gotten their N3DS and the firmware on those were 9.0 to 9.2.
     
  4. Miles54321

    Miles54321 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    837
    326
    Dec 16, 2010
    Gateway Headquarters with SonyUSA

    ???

    Waiting is best no matter what type of N3DS it is, don't buy a sky yet unless you certainly want it

    Gateway will support N3DS with the latest emunand eventually, only problem is how long

    It'll should very likely come with 9.2 or less, i'm thinking actually 9.0 rather than 9.2 tbh anyway
     
  5. DjoeN

    DjoeN Captain Haddock!

    Member
    5,136
    1,478
    Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    N3DS users are stuck with the sysnand version they have and the emunand version will be the same as the sysnand one.
    If it's 9.0.x.x/9.2.0.x, then all is good, your emunand version will be the same as your sysnand then, if it's 9.3 or higher, you are out of luck using a GW for a long time. (or ever)
    So N3DS users will be stuck at an emunand version the same as there sysnand is!

    It comes down to how many N3DS systems will be out with 9.0.x.x/9.2.x.x fw, those people will be lucky and when N3DS systems appear with 9.4.x.x/9.5.x.x., those people have bad luck.
    You have to keep in mind, No system transffer and no eshop access ever if you want to keep using Gateway on the N3DS cause emunand 9.5 will not be supported on it for awhile
     
    Ralph1611 likes this.
  6. dandymanz
    OP

    dandymanz GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    177
    91
    Dec 5, 2014
    Senegal
    Oh, i didn't know that. Thought it was still speculation. So far what i read seems to be reviewers telling people that they need to upgrade their firmware out of the box. Still doesn't rule out that it could be 9.3 even if it's a very low chance.
     
  7. davhuit

    davhuit GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    992
    304
    Nov 23, 2005
    France
    Don't care about eshop personally. Games update => .cia

    9.4 or 9.2 for emuand is the same, so updating to 9.4 manually would be useless.

    justln : Didn't saw any official confirmations yet (the only guy who seem to have the MM N3DS yet didn't made a video with it turned on, and he probably already updated it to 9.5 so we will probably never knew which firmware he had on it) so until I see a photo of the firmware version, I'm still doubtful about it.

    Depend of you. If you really want eshop access, it'll be sky3DS or nothing. But eshop is pretty useless, except to download games updates (you can install them manually on gateway with .cia files), I really don't see why so much people who use a piracy product care about an online shop where they will probably never buy anything from it o.O

    I know I play a lot of foreign regions games, but I read Japanese so I'm not really in the majority.

    I'm also really interested in homebrew (blargsnes for example), and .cia games are a nice addition when you want to share a game with two 3DS, this way you don't need two flashcards, one can boot the system with the flashcard then remove it, using the .cia game and the other can just use the flashcard.

    But hey, Sky3DS is not a bad product at all, at least it don't seem so (it have 100% games compatibility too, right?), especially for N3DS and more especially for one that will be on 9.3+

    If you only care about games from your region and nothing more, it's probably the best choice, as it's already released ;)
     
  8. greeeed

    greeeed Member

    Newcomer
    30
    6
    Nov 1, 2014
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Some people can't wait > even if they know they will cry tomorrow.

    For me, I already have gateway.
     
  9. davhuit

    davhuit GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    992
    304
    Nov 23, 2005
    France
    Well, why would they wait if they think the Sky3DS is enough for them? Would be silly.

    Most people who are willing to wait for the gateway often already have a 3DS and a gateway, so have something to play meanwhile they wait, it might not be the same for them.

    Not to mention we are not even sure yet that first USA/EUR N3DS will have 9.2 or less, so if they plan to buy a USA/EUR N3DS, they will maybe not have the choice anyway. If it's 9.3, it useless to wait, it could take several years to find a new exploit, like the time it took for the 5.x+ exploit.
     
  10. yuyuyup

    yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

    Member
    3,336
    773
    Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    Guess it's looking more likely I'll be holding on to my regular XL
     
  11. andre104623

    andre104623 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    681
    214
    Apr 9, 2014
    United States
    Philadelphia, PA
    How to update emunand to 9.4 on New 3ds? Answer UpdateCDN check the forms
     
  12. davhuit

    davhuit GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    992
    304
    Nov 23, 2005
    France
    It would be useless to upload emunand to 9.4 once the N3DS exploit would be released.

    Emunand 9.0, 9.2 or 9.4, it will change nothing for you.

    The only reason people update their emunand is often to keep access to the eshop, and on N3DS, without 9.5 no eshop, so you might as well keep your original 9.0/9.2 emunand.
     
    lemanuel, Arkansaw and VerseHell like this.
  13. tony_2018

    tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

    Member
    3,106
    1,050
    Jan 3, 2014
    United States

    Of course we can tell, it states what the firmware update was for on there website.

    You make it sound like they will be stuck on 9.4 FOREVER. Copy and paste the information as you see it on there site.
     
  14. dandymanz
    OP

    dandymanz GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    177
    91
    Dec 5, 2014
    Senegal
    Ok, here goes

    Knowing their "soon" from 2.5 months of experience waiting for a release. This "for a while" makes it sound like it could be a year or more.

    Basically what i'm trying to get at is how willing are you to wait for a release with no known or confirmed date now?
     
  15. tony_2018

    tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

    Member
    3,106
    1,050
    Jan 3, 2014
    United States

    I waited 18 months....no N3DS yet so I'm still good with my 9.2 3DSXL.
     
  16. dandymanz
    OP

    dandymanz GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    177
    91
    Dec 5, 2014
    Senegal
    You see, that's the problem here. You already have your 3DSXL and are playing it. So you are satisfied.
    But for people who do not own a 3DSXL. And have bought or plan to buy a N3DS/XL. This is a choice they have to make now.
     
  17. tony_2018

    tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

    Member
    3,106
    1,050
    Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    The release will happen, you can still make emunand to install cia's and run homebrew. You should not update to 9.5 for the time being. Its just another mile stone they need to accomplish.
     
  18. LinkmstrYT

    LinkmstrYT ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

    Member
    1,461
    801
    Dec 16, 2013
    United States
    You wanted to see where I live? You stalker...
    Well it's not like they're saying that the New3DS is stuck at 9.4 EmuNAND forever. They said it "will not be able to support emunand 9.5 or higher for a while". I'm guessing they still have to work out some few kinks for it.
     
  19. davhuit

    davhuit GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    992
    304
    Nov 23, 2005
    France
    The exploit isn't even released, so it's not really a problem xD I assume most people wouldn't care to not have emunand 9.5 on their N3DS for now as you lose nothing (as said before, game updates => cia).
     
  20. tony_2018

    tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

    Member
    3,106
    1,050
    Jan 3, 2014
    United States


    The reason why these people are on the fence is because they think they could be missing out on the features of GW, but if they get sky3ds they can play there backup roms. BUT THAT IS ALL SKY3DS CAN DO. So its a toss up. Its really just stupid to come on a forum and ask people what they, themselves, should get.