SD card Died New 3ds Luma 12.0.1

Agent5657

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently started using my New 3DS XL after not using it for several years. I successfully upgraded Luma to version 12.0.1. However, my 128GB SD card, which was completely full with three EmuNands, numerous games, and homebrew content, appears to have stopped working. Despite the SD card issue, I can still boot into Luma and access the Sysnand, which is currently on version 9.2.0-20U without an SD card inserted. While I can redownload the games and apps from my backups, my main concern is how to set up a new SD card to ensure it is up to date. I'm unsure if Emunands, CTRNAND, and boot9strap are still relevant in the current scene, as I have been out of touch since around 2016 or 2017. Could you please guide me on the proper way to set up the system now? I want to be able to use DSIware, my R4 cards, homebrew, and CIA files. I understand that there are many guides available, but they mainly focus on transitioning from stock to CFW. Since I already have CFW, what would be the best approach to setting up the new SD card using the latest methods for CFW? I view this situation as an opportunity to update all the outdated components and processes.

Last edited by Agent5657,

Agent5657

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why you still have questions if you've already upgraded to Luma 12.0.1? All you need is https://3ds.guide/restoring-updating-cfw .

Are you concerned about recovering any of the data from your old SD card?
I suppose I'm worried most about running on sysnand instead of an EMUNAND. I always heard never to run on sysnand and now I don't have my EMUNanads. Do I need to somehow make a new one? The data as far as games and apps I can redownload.

Edit: NM once I put the luma files back on an SD card I could boot into EMUNAND again. Thank you for the assistance. :D I was thinking the EMUNANDS were running from the SD card and I had lost them.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Edit: NM once I put the luma files back on an SD card I could boot into EMUNAND again. Thank you for the assistance. :D I was thinking the EMUNANDS were running from the SD card and I had lost them.
I don't think "emuNAND" means what you think it means? Because yes, of course emuNANDs are stored on the SD card – where else would they be stored? They're certainly not stored in any internal memory on the 3DS; there's space for only one NAND there.

Agent5657

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think "emuNAND" means what you think it means? Because yes, of course emuNANDs are stored on the SD card – where else would they be stored? They're certainly not stored in any internal memory on the 3DS; there's space for only one NAND there.
Yeah I clearly must not understand how that is working. I always thought an emuNAND was a copy of the sysNAND firmware emulated in a safe environment that you could safely manipulate without risking permanently bricking the 3ds. Wasn't sure if that could be stored on the internal memory or not.

I see what happened. The new SD card I used looks like one I used before in my 3ds I had a copy of some emunands on them that must be why they showed up because when I used a new SD out of the box it didn't have the emuNANDs.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I always thought an emuNAND was a copy of the sysNAND firmware emulated in a safe environment that you could safely manipulate without risking permanently bricking the 3ds.
emuNANDs have largely fallen out of fashion precisely because any such risk of bricking is practically nonexistent nowadays.

Agent5657

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

emuNANDs have largely fallen out of fashion precisely because any such risk of bricking is practically nonexistent nowadays.
I appreciate your help. Everything is back up and running on Sysnand updated to latest firmware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto