Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Smash Bros. is widely considered by the Smash community and the fighter community to be one of the most tech-driven games out there with a very complex metagame and vast potential for depth. Comparing it to Mario Kart is pretty ignorant of you, and I don't mean that as an insult. You just clearly haven't been exposed to how Smash is really played.

As far as I know, Smash is the *only* fighter where button mashing is not a viable option.

kinda true that, but unfortunally the vast mayority has a simple rule:
NO ITEMS
SHEIK/FOX ONLY
FINAL DESTINATION

thats the rules by most of tourneyfags play, unfortunally the game is a brawler, where playing with items in any stage, with any player makes you a TRUE player.

Button smashing doesnt work in any game if the oponent is a good player. PERIOD.

i'm kinda shame though... i'm a button smasher in SC3... but i hate the controls in the PS2, oh well

Keylogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
BRAWL IS DUMPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
grog.gif
grog.gif
grog.gif
grog.gif

No, it's a joke
tongue.gif

vinikun

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In response to people wondering why anyone would want the demo a few days before the game comes out:

While this does not necessarily reflect my outlook, I feel a decent reason would be for the sake of being •somewhat• legal, in the sense that some of us may not plan on pirating the full game, but see no harm in pirating a non-retail demo.

...just my thinking
wink.gif

gamingguru05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Smash Bros. is widely considered by the Smash community and the fighter community to be one of the most tech-driven games out there with a very complex metagame and vast potential for depth. Comparing it to Mario Kart is pretty ignorant of you, and I don't mean that as an insult. You just clearly haven't been exposed to how Smash is really played.

As far as I know, Smash is the *only* fighter where button mashing is not a viable option.

kinda true that, but unfortunally the vast mayority has a simple rule:
NO ITEMS
SHEIK/FOX ONLY
FINAL DESTINATION

thats the rules by most of tourneyfags play, unfortunally the game is a brawler, where playing with items in any stage, with any player makes you a TRUE player.

Button smashing doesnt work in any game if the oponent is a good player. PERIOD.

i'm kinda shame though... i'm a button smasher in SC3... but i hate the controls in the PS2, oh well

You must not have ever been to any tournaments. That is not at all how it works. Yes there are no items at 99.9% of tournament but that is quite simply because items favor higher tier characters (characters that already have an advantage). So essentialy when you are playing a competitive player putting items on will, the majority of the time, only help him beat you.

As far as characters go, yes Sheik and Fox are popular characters and you will see them a lot at tournaments but by no means are they the only ones you will see.

As for the Final Destination comment, Final Destination is one of only 5 or 6, depending on the tournament, stages that are set on random. There are also quite a few stages that can be counter-picked.

So actually your interpretation of tournament play is only correct on one point.

nephdj

Trophies
XP
Country
gamingguru05: sure people used other people then fox/falco/shiek/marth but they are normally ones playing for fun.

Normally they are knocked out early and continue to play 4player for fun, while the "pro's" continue playing each over just to win a shitty prize or to brag on gamefaqs

gamingguru05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gamingguru05: sure people used other people then fox/falco/shiek/marth but they are normally ones playing for fun.

Normally they are knocked out early and continue to play 4player for fun, while the "pro's" continue playing each over just to win a shitty prize or to brag on gamefaqs

Well firstly I admit that your estimate of competitive play is a lot closer one than others I have seen in the forums.However I do have to disagree with you. As far as characters go, several top players do well with Ice Climbers or Captain Falcon to mention a couple, and I have even seen some ridiculous Pikachu players.

I also have to disagree with the shitty prize or the bragging on gamefaqs. There is actually a decent amount of money to be won and if any bragging goes on, it happens at swf.

None the less I understand that competitive play is not for everyone so I'll just refrain from making anymore comments, if I can.

Hoss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't like the comments I've heard here against competitive players. Not only have they been entirely incorrect, but they've been rude. Nobody is telling you guys how to play, so don't try to tell competitive players how to play.

Chebsi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Play however you want. Don't say playing without items ruin the fun, because for some people playing without items is just a lot more fun for them. Also, a competitive tournament environment can be a lot of to be part of, even if you don't win.

I'm not a tourney person myself, though to the few tourney's I've been to, I had a great time.

lowbelly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You've nailed the problem with tournament players: they let others tell them how to play. I get so sick of playing with these people, "hey, that level's banned", etc., and I constantly have to hear about this wise council of geeks that for some reason is more qualified to decide what is fair and not than sakurai.

I won't tell you how to play, just don't let some tournament rule setters tell you either.

Hoss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You've nailed the problem with tournament players: they let others tell them how to play. I get so sick of playing with these people, "hey, that level's banned", etc., and I constantly have to hear about this wise council of geeks that for some reason is more qualified to decide what is fair and not than sakurai.

I won't tell you how to play, just don't let some tournament rule setters tell you either.
Since when is it wrong to accept tournament rules in a tournament?

lowbelly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not in a tournament-- casual play, with me. If I ever select a tournament-rules-banned level, they'll quit the round. These tournament people reduce their $50 game to a $20 game.

george1nehme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hong Kong stores open up in 2hrs from now hopefully there will be a release buy 8:00 tonight for US buy the famous uploaders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.