Bortz's Free Advice Thread

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have few things I would like to say, but it's not easy to get my thoughts in order.
So, I won't say everything here. I'll just say that I'm like Brian and I understand all his concerns.

Saying "don't care about what other people think about you" is easier said than done, because I'm sure he is very sensitive too.
And if he is like me, he will easily feel guilty for his actions if he doesn't do what he think is right, or if someone tell him something bad, etc.
Sometime, "we" (people with easy guilty feeling) don't even know why or where that guilt comes from, but we feel bad for few days.

>Make someone smile once a day.
I may make someone smile, but it's not intentional. mostly part of my job and often have to make fake smile to please everyone.
But people are dumber and dumber with time, people are getting aggressive easily (I saw them change in 10 years, I'm sure there might be a brain-zombi-virus in the air!), so it's not easy to please everyone :(
It require a lot of energy to do that. it's like wearing a mask (a Persona) to protect yourself from others.

>Hold the door for someone
that one is easiest advice, just let other people walk instead of trying to be the first one. same if you are driving, don't try to force the priority everywhere (even if you have it), sometime you are happy if someone let you pass after being blocked at a Stop for few minutes.
Just try things like that.

>Pay for someone in a resteraunt or behind you in line at the drive thru.
That one is a tricky advice :(
you can't ask Brian to "pay for someone" if he doesn't even go out, to restaurant, etc.
I don't go in shops myself, I don't go where there are a lot of people. I wouldn't even talk to a stranger to suggest paying for him.
Even less if that's a girl, because I would be affected by her reaction for days, and afraid of that I would not even look at her.

I don't know how Brian act, but some advice are too advanced, he would require first step advices, how to go out, how to engage conversation, etc. without looking creepy, or a stalker (I don't know when the Stalker line is crossed, so I don't talk to girl so I'm sure I don't cross it).

If he is still at school (he seem young on the picture I found), he can try this with his friend instead of talking to total strangers.

Reactions: 3 people

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This thread has gotten serious. And thus I must push it back on track.

Bortzy, Does it matter if I'm white or black? Personally I hope not because I'm not white or black.

Gundam Eclipse

True Demon Route
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
Non serious:
How do I take over GBATemp and transform everyone into shinmegamitypemoonzombies people who can help me rule the world...or something?

Serious:
Thought I might since some other peeps have as well.
I happen to be a bit of a writer, though its mostly just ideas, and I can't seem to get myself to outright put them in a full novel or something. My question is not regarding that though, thing is, I tend to have confidence issues regarding what I write or come up with(They are pretty shitty in my opinion) and am also shy of doing so, but even so I wish to share them, but can't get myself to due to aforementioned reasons. I would start a new topic, then shut the browser down out of fear.
So, what I am trying to get your advice on is, how do I stop caring about how good or bad my ideas are, and just show them to everyone, whether it be GBATemp, real life, or otherwise?

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have few things I would like to say, but it's not easy to get my thoughts in order.
So, I won't say everything here. I'll just say that I'm like Brian and I understand all his concerns.

Saying "don't care about what other people think about you" is easier said than done, because I'm sure he is very sensitive too.
And if he is like me, he will easily feel guilty for his actions if he doesn't do what he think is right, or if someone tell him something bad, etc.
Sometime, "we" (people with easy guilty feeling) don't even know why or where that guilt comes from, but we feel bad for few days.

I may make someone smile, but it's not intentional. mostly part of my job and often have to make fake smile to please everyone.
But people are dumber and dumber with time, people are getting aggressive easily (I saw them change in 10 years, I'm sure there might be a brain-zombi-virus in the air!), so it's not easy to please everyone :(
It require a lot of energy to do that. it's like wearing a mask (a Persona) to protect yourself from others.

that one is easiest advice, just let other people walk instead of trying to be the first one. same if you are driving, don't try to force the priority everywhere (even if you have it), sometime you are happy if someone let you pass after being blocked at a Stop for few minutes.

you can't ask Brian to "pay for someone" if he doesn't even go out, to restaurant, etc.
I don't go in shops myself, I don't go where there are a lot of people. I wouldn't even talk to a stranger to suggest paying for him.
Even less if that's a girl, because I would be affected by her reaction for days, and afraid of that I would not even look at her.

I don't know how Brian act, but some advice are too advanced, he would require first step advices, how to go out, how to engage conversation, etc. without looking creepy, or a stalker (I don't know when the Stalker line is crossed, so I don't talk to girl so I'm sure I don't cross it).

If he is still at school (he seem young on the picture I found), he can try this with his friend instead of talking to total strangers.
Sorry guys, my dispostion is weird. Im like the opposite. Im just suggesting things :( i wish i could really help :(

This thread has gotten serious. And thus I must push it back on track.

Bortzy, Does it matter if I'm white or black? Personally I hope not because I'm not white or black.
Emigre, if you are trying to say you are gray, im not sure what to tell you. Jk, No it really doesnt. I personally havent had much interaction with the blacks, but the ones i have known are pretty cool dudes. But I mean its all a matter of personality. There can be cool white dudes and awful white dudes. Im sure there are awesome black dudes and really bad black dudes too. It doesnt matter at all.

Non serious:
How do I take over GBATemp and transform everyone into shinmegamitypemoonzombies people who can help me rule the world...or something?

Serious:
Thought I might since some other peeps have as well.
I happen to be a bit of a writer, though its mostly just ideas, and I can't seem to get myself to outright put them in a full novel or something. My question is not regarding that though, thing is, I tend to have confidence issues regarding what I write or come up with(They are pretty shitty in my opinion) and am also shy of doing so, but even so I wish to share them, but can't get myself to due to aforementioned reasons. I would start a new topic, then shut the browser down out of fear.
So, what I am trying to get your advice on is, how do I stop caring about how good or bad my ideas are, and just show them to everyone, whether it be GBATemp, real life, or otherwise?
Non serious: The closest thing you are going to get in terms of ruling of the world is probably some sort of rom hack. If you can mass a group of hackers and coders together, you can create a pokemon rom hack that has hypnotic signals that will morph the player into a zombie like state. Then use a radio frequency to control them. I suggest 66.6 FM. Although you will probably have to buy the rights from Natas Heavy Industries for that station.
Serious: I would join a blog site. Start getting followers by writing short stories and updating regularly. Poeple love regular updates, even if some of it is "shit". I am an artist of sorts, so i get where you are coming from. You have to learn that some people arent gonna like every thing you post. But someone will. Somewhere you will find someone that like your stuff. They will tell their friends, and you will have taken your first step towards actual world domination.

How do I become as cool as you?
Dude ive already answered questions like this. If you cant read, theres a good chance you will never be half as cool as me. Youll be like luke warm all your life.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive always wanted to see a movie where the bad guy does take over the world... Then what do they do? huh.

Ok more situations where you need advice please! This is fun.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Ive always wanted to see a movie where the bad guy does take over the world... Then what do they do? huh.

Watchmen.

How do I become so spicy that it hurts?

Become a Dee.

Mitt-Romney-Laughing.gif

Reactions: 2 people

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Watchmen.

How do I become so spicy that it hurts?
Well then again maybe i dont want to watch a movie like that.

Ok well the obvious answer is so obvious i dont think you are lookin for it: roll around in buffalo sause like a champ.
But if you really want to go the extra mile, i suggest getting the hottest wing sause you can buy at the store. Then marinate about 200 or so jalapeno pepper in it. After about a week of them soaking, start stapeling them all over your body, including little Hyro-Sama. Then don a black leather vest, and biker attier. Ride your chopper down to the nearest volcano and hurl yourself across the opening (mouth) of the volcano and jump it RIGHT as the volcano erupts. You will be so spicy, all the ladies will want a piece.

DoubleeDee

Trophies
XP
Country
Reactions: 1 person

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok well the obvious answer is so obvious i dont think you are lookin for it: roll around in buffalo sause like a champ.
But if you really want to go the extra mile, i suggest getting the hottest wing sause you can buy at the store. Then marinate about 200 or so jalapeno pepper in it. After about a week of them soaking, start stapeling them all over your body, including little Hyro-Sama. Then don a black leather vest, and biker attier. Ride your chopper down to the nearest volcano and hurl yourself across the opening (mouth) of the volcano and jump it RIGHT as the volcano erupts. You will be so spicy, all the ladies will want a piece.

Damn. Is that how Valwin does it?

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Damn. Is that how Valwin does it?
No. Valwin rubs 20 PSVitas on his genitalia till he gets off to them.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About the girls...I'm not interested in them lets just put it at that. No girls have ever tried hitting on me in my life, which is a somewhat...good and bad thing. Good because I don't have to tell them I don't like them, and bad because it makes me feel unattractive in a way. Doesn't every guy want to be hit on? Shows them they're wanted by at least 1 person. Ah well.
You're welcome.
Anyway, kinda seems to me that girls usually just wait for guys to go after them (which kinda sucks for those of us that are interested ... oh well) Seems to me it takes a rather confident girl and a really good looking guy for a girl to actually go out of her way to hit on him, and even then, the guy has to do the extra effort to look nice (we usually can't wear makeup or anything but hair and clothes and general hygiene just kinda show the girl you want to be noticed as well) and even then, you have to be in the right place and the right time. I'm guessing that if you haven't been too confident about you're looks you'd kinda avoid the situations that happen to also be those where the "hitting on" would take place so don't worry about it not having happened.

anyway, I kinda got type-happy there
/rant

I'll let [member='bortzanator'] have his thread back now.

You do have valid points. Thanks for that. ^_^

Bortz: How would you deal with being socially awkward and always having feelings of hating everyone? I hate people and I avoid trying to talk with people. But sometimes they just talk to me. What should I do?
So you dont like people and you dont want to talk to them?
You are going to need social skills someday for a job, or whatever. People are everywhere. Not everyone is terrible and hating everyone is hard.
Unfortunately i feel like your question is a serious one and i am on the other end of the social spectrum :(
If people come up to you and talk to you, try to be nice. Smile and ask them how they are doing. How they are feeling. I know this is hard, but at least pretend you care about them, even if you dont. :unsure: Maybe try wiki how for this or a councilor. Im sorry i cant be more helpful bud :(

Thanks Bortz. What if I have self-esteem issues and I think I'm ugly all the time and hate when people look at me because in my mind I think about them thinking to themselves that I'm ugly. What should I do? I have a lot of self-esteem problems but meh. I just feel whenever someone who I don't want to talk to, talks to me and during the conversation they say to themselves "wow this guy is ugly, he won't go far in life". Is there a way to prevent these thoughts and learn to not give a fuck anymore?

@[member='Maxternal']
Wow dude. Good words. Thanks for that.*applauds*
I think you might have really helped Penis117 Brian117.

Ok dude. I might be able to help a little bit. Self esteem is a wash lol If you want to socially advance anywhere, you are going to have to stop living in your own fears and thoughts. You own self esteem is only going to get your down. But you cant rely on what others think of you either. You have to find somewhere else to get your validation. I suggest forgetting about self esteem and just try living.

*looks at temper pic* ok so im a straight man, but come on. A guy can still tell when another male is attractive. you my friend are FAR from unfortunate looking. Just because you "think" you are ugly does not make you ugly. And you are not ugly. lol

I would say this: Stop giving a fuck what you think others think about you. Beacuse that isnt going to help you. You are your own worst critic. Try living for someone else.
>Make someone smile once a day. Maybe start by looking into a mirror and telling yourself its gonna be a good day.Maybe the person you make smile that day is you. But soon, move on and make someone else smile that day.

Happiness is a fleeting emotion. But the joy that you get from these things last forever.

I hope i actually help you man, i really do.

xD @ red haha.

I appriciate you and Maxternal saying I'm far from ugly, but the self-esteem issues still remain. It's hard to believe somebody that says that because for so many years I've been programmed to tell myself I am. I really don't want to sound like I'm seeking attention on an internet forum because I have nothing better to do with my life, and I really didn't mean to turn this thread into a serious one. I just feel like I have "female looking" aspects. My nose, my eyes, and my cheeks. Growing up with these feelings just permanently stuck with me and probably will until I meet that one person in life who will convince me otherwise. But then again that seems to be a problem now because I avoid meeting new people based on those programmed thoughts. It pisses me off. I have my cousins tell me I'm not ugly, my mom say I'm not, but yet it's just too hard to believe. Seeking counselling would only be a waste of time for a person like me.

I do try my best to help others where I can. I do hold doors open when the time is right, I say thank you to the people that hold them open for me. I'm a pretty nice guy in real life. But personality doesn't seem to be enough for people these days. Sure there are people who go for that kind of thing, but where are you to find them? Do you just wait for the time to be right for them to show up in your life or do you go look for them? Helping and being nice to people feels good for as long as the moment lasts. It's not like I go home and think about what I did nice for them and smile about it.

You guys are helping somewhat and I really do appreciate it. I just don't want to come off as some attention seeking whore.

- Exactly this ^. I'm sorry you feel the same way Cyan. Nobody should have to live like this.

- ^ Exactly this again. Most of the time it's just fake smiles to people because I can't find the emotions to actually feel happy. My self esteem has dropped that emotion pretty low. Because when I smile, I think I look ugly. And it's my mind telling me again that it's the truth. When I look in the mirror and smile, I just can't see somebody else thinking I look average. Most of the time I open our cabinet doors in the bathroom when I brush my teeth just so I don't have to look at myself. It's sad.

- ^ This I have no problem doing and I feel good about it.

- ^ Exactly exactly exactly this again. If I go to a crowded restaurant with my family or something, I always try and sit on the inside near the wall/window/whatever so that I'm not exposed as much. When I walk in, that feeling of everybody looking at you just makes it so uneasy to go anywhere. I'm a pretty tall guy, 6'7", so that plays a major factor in being looked at all the time. Nothing I can do to help it but look at the floor when I walk or pretend I'm on my phone.

- ^ I'm graduated. I'm 20, 21 in November. Haven't decided yet on college. And to be honest I don't really have friends. Only people I consider my friends are my 2 cousins. And they are somewhat like me except for the thinking they're ugly bit. They both get nervous when it comes to interacting with people. Maybe it runs in my family? Doubt there's a gene for that. Anyways, it sucks to hear you're the same way Cyan. Thanks for making a post so I didn't feel like the only one. Appreciate it.

This is another picture of me (wearing basically the same hoodie as the one in my tempers pic...makes me feel comfortable and covers up a lot of my body features.) My cousin on the left. (Which of some few members on here will probably ask for more pictures of...inb4 p1ngpong/TDWP_FTW)

IMG_8876.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1