TheWarrior
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
HD picture quality is much better than DVD, and there are $100 HD DVD players....oh, and Australia's market is tiny compared to US and UK.

150GB disks? The 4.7GB on DVD has lasted this long, and I don't think there will be a huge resolution jump in the next 3 or 4 years - 1080P will because the standard, and that's what both do. Same video, more expensive.

Technology is advancing fast, Heck I bet in 2 years Movie studios will think OMG how can we have even considered HD-DVD? Since I bet in 2 years all HD movies will be on the 50GB dual layer blu-ray

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's not about the Video Quality. Blu-Ray is winning thus far and it will probably continue. Blu-Ray has more Storage. 1st Gen HD-DVD players can NOT read the triple layer disc so they can't use it. And the 6 Layer blu-ray disc ( 150GB ) seems to have gotten out of the prototype stages. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD both output native 1080p and can use Dolby Digital Surround iirc.. though. Your right it seems far from over but In the future I see blu-ray winning.

So your arguement is that Bluray is better because it can hold more data than HD-DVD.......

That is a completely useless arguement when talking about movies, as I stated the video resolution is the same on video on both HD and Bluray and the extras coming out so far have been better on most HD-DVD's.

What else is there to fit onto the discs... What are you going to do with all that additional space?

If you want to talk about 1st gen players not being able to play certain discs get a load of the standards that Bluray will be using going forward that will render all earlier non-upgradeable Bluray players useless.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
It's not about the Video Quality. Blu-Ray is winning thus far and it will probably continue. Blu-Ray has more Storage. 1st Gen HD-DVD players can NOT read the triple layer disc so they can't use it. And the 6 Layer blu-ray disc ( 150GB ) seems to have gotten out of the prototype stages. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD both output native 1080p and can use Dolby Digital Surround iirc.. though. Your right it seems far from over but In the future I see blu-ray winning.

So your arguement is that Bluray is better because it can hold more data than HD-DVD.......

That is a completely useless arguement when talking about movies, as I stated the video resolution is the same on video on both HD and Bluray and the extras coming out so far have been better on most HD-DVD's.

What else is there to fit onto the discs... What are you going to do with all that additional space? BTW Bold: That's an opinion.

If you want to talk about 1st gen players not being able to play certain discs get a load of the standards that Bluray will be using going forward that will render all earlier non-upgradeable Bluray players useless.

How is it useless? As movies get longer/get better quality it'll use a lot more storage, space is totally relevant, and BTW ever hear of extra content?

QUOTE(bobrules @ Dec 6 2007, 07:23 PM)I hope in a few years, 1080p TVs will cost under 1000$

There's a 32'' Sharp Aquos 1080p for 900$ on Newegg.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
How is it useless? As movies get longer/get better quality it'll use a lot more storage, space is totally relevant, and BTW ever hear of extra content?

How can the movies get better quality than the resolution of most available HDTVs? Do you really think they are going to start making higher resolution TV's than 1080P in the near future, even if they did make the TV's the amount sold would be small and hence movie companies would have no incentive to encode movies at the higher resolutions.

How much extra content do you really want? The amount on most HD/Bluray releases is similar in content to that available on DVD's and right now I don't watch any of it.
The only thing I really care about in terms of extras on movies is the commentaries, and they don't take up that much space.
And my point is still valid, Blurays at the moment usually don't have as much extras as the HD-DVD releases so how is extra space going to change any of that.

Seriously I don't get the hype about extras.

BTW 1080P resolution in a TV screen the size of 32 inches is fairly useless, unless you sit like less than 1m away from the television the human eyes won't be able to tell the difference.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Both HD DVD and Blu Ray are dead. Why would anyone want to upgrade from DVD when with HD all you get is a bit of a clearer picture and the colours are a bit brighter. DVD is here to stay for a long time yet.

While to some degree it's true. I've seen the differences with my own eyes, you simply can't deny that HD performance is at least 30% brighter, smoother and sharp.

I support the bluRay, but there is one thing thou, the HD DVD has the name and price to it's favor. Believe it or not that's what it is keeping it alive to this day.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

How can the movies get better quality than the resolution of most available HDTVs? Do you really think they are going to start making higher resolution TV's than 1080P in the near future, even if they did make the TV's the amount sold would be small and hence movie companies would have no incentive to encode movies at the higher resolutions.

How much extra content do you really want? The amount on most HD/Bluray releases is similar in content to that available on DVD's and right now I don't watch any of it.
The only thing I really care about in terms of extras on movies is the commentaries, and they don't take up that much space.
And my point is still valid, Blurays at the moment usually don't have as much extras as the HD-DVD releases so how is extra space going to change any of that.

Seriously I don't get the hype about extras.

BTW 1080P resolution in a TV screen the size of 32 inches is fairly useless, unless you sit like less than 1m away from the television the human eyes won't be able to tell the difference.

Faily Useless? What if somebody wants to use it as a PC Monitor? It's not useless anymore. Big Difference from 1366x768( most 720p tvs ) to 1920x1080 even on smaller sizes.BTW Extra Content can be many different sizes they can go from Megabytes to a couple gigabytes.. BTW did you know most if not all HD-DVDs are on the Dual-Layer Version? Yep, over 30GB. Looks like Storage is totally relevant. BTW their are resolutions above 1080p in HDTV terms. Ever hear of 1440p? http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainm...d-hd-208131.php
Blu-Rays might not have as many extras but IMO they have better Extras. Quality > Quantity.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Get back to me when they start putting movies out in higher resolutions than 1080P, I think I'll be waiting a while.

I conceed that a 32 LCD TV is great as a PC monitor, however I still think that a 1080P resolution on a 32inch TV is overkill for watching movies and playing HD games.

IMO 1080 doesn't start to realise until around 50 inches.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Get back to me when they start putting movies out in higher resolutions than 1080P, I think I'll be waiting a while.

I conceed that a 32 LCD TV is great as a PC monitor, however I still think that a 1080P resolution on a 32inch TV is overkill for watching movies and playing HD games.

IMO 1080 doesn't start to realise until around 50 inches.

Exactly. In YOUR opinion. In mine and some others opinions 1080p is 1080p, Size doesn't make a difference. You will notice a difference, like you notice a difference from 1440x900 to 1680x1050 on a PC Monitor. And usually those aren't bigger than 24'' Yes I know there are 30'' Monitors but those are very un common.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes but with a PC monitor you sit right in front of it.

See the chart in this link -

http://www.davidloveslife.com/2007/08/19/t...understandings/

In order to realise a 1440X900 resolution on a 50inch TV you would need to sit around 5 feet or 1.5 metres away from the TV in order to see the difference.

How many people are going to sit that close to a TV that size!

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

kellyan95

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Laserdisc is the obvious winner in discs for movies. A 1080P 10" screen (as an example of size) would be a complete waste. Putting your eye on it wouldn't be enough to get all the pixels out of it

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sigh... everyone KNOWS betamax pwns all
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E