Misc Help with Blu-ray rips and AACS

Ryab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have a rather large collection of Blu-rays here that I am wanting to rip as close to 1|1 as possible. Extracting individual tracks is rather simple but getting it to be able to load the ISO/disc directly is another story entirely. So I know that AACS is the main problem here. I have a key file and have verified all of the key's for my Blu-rays exist within it. My main question is how can I get these to actually function properly in media players? I know players like VLC support loading ISOs and VLC even has an AACS plugin, but I cannot seem to get it to work at all. Does anyone here have any experience with this and could you consider possibly helping me a bit here?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, you have Blu-Ray drive on your PC? Do the discs work normally before you rip them?

To my knowledge there is still no such thing as a free open-source blu-ray player that supports menus. It's especially weird considering that it's supposed to use Java, so you'd think it would just be a matter of throwing a Java VM at it – but apparently no one's been motivated enough to do it yet.

Ryab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, you have Blu-Ray drive on your PC? Do the discs work normally before you rip them?

To my knowledge there is still no such thing as a free open-source blu-ray player that supports menus. It's especially weird considering that it's supposed to use Java, so you'd think it would just be a matter of throwing a Java VM at it – but apparently no one's been motivated enough to do it yet.
Oddly enough only some will run with the disc in the drive. Others crash the media player. But yeah I mainly wanted this for authenticity reasons. Also there are some Blu-ray discs where the menus and such a rather important.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also there are some Blu-ray discs where the menus and such a rather important.
I agree, but there doesn't seem to be a lot you can do about it if you want to use your PC – unless you pay for a commercial product. Not sure what the best option these days would be.

Do your discs work if you select the chapters or titles manually?

Ryab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree, but there doesn't seem to be a lot you can do about it if you want to use your PC – unless you pay for a commercial product. Not sure what the best option these days would be.

Do your discs work if you select the chapters or titles manually?
The ones that work through the BD Drive directly yes. But the ones that don't just either get a black screen or a crash.

Chaoticus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have ripped the LoTR trilogy, Indiana Jones trilogy, star wars 1 to 6 using MakeMKV for pretty much as close to ripped off the Disc your gonna get as a 1:1 your gonna get. Then if you want to make specific file formats thats where Handbrake comes in..... And it's all free. Not a dime paid. Just used my external blu-ray burner to rip to the computer & convert when needed.

Now if your asking to be able to play Blu-rays with audio that's a process I did once. But that was under a Linux environment with VLC and you needed to get a hold of some files and some AACS dev related things and then go about placing then in some of the hidden dot (.) folders under /home/user/ (user being whatever your login name is.)

Last edited by Chaoticus,

Ryab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have ripped the LoTR trilogy, Indiana Jones trilogy, star wars 1 to 6 using MakeMKV for pretty much as close to ripped off the Disc your gonna get as a 1:1 your gonna get. Then if you want to make specific file formats thats where Handbrake comes in..... And it's all free. Not a dime paid. Just used my external blu-ray burner to rip to the computer & convert when needed.
Yeah getting the individual tracks isnt hard. My main goal was to retain the menus and such.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

Chaoticus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah getting the individual tracks isnt hard. My main goal was to retain the menus and such.
I'm sure it will preserve the menus if tick off all the check boxes. I've never done it because once you relized you can trim of all the excess bloat and get right to the movie I've never needed beyond that. If you plan to rip it whole like that make sure you have the Disc with the capacity to burn it to.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
It is possible to make iso rips without protection using software like passkey or maybe anydvd HD (it's been a few years), but these aren't free.....officially.

Even then, for one or two non-scratched discs I've had issues, in one case I had to use my PS3 to dump the iso (cant recall if this also removed the protection).

As for player software, I'd avoid powerdvd unless you get it for free I.e. oem copy, it's given me stability issues in the past.

Download linux mint and install. Then download MakeMKV and Handbrake. Follow on screen instructions.... Thank me later

Why do you need Linux Mint? I've used these fine under windows.

Last edited by tech3475,

Ryab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is possible to make iso rips without protection using software like passkey or maybe anydvd HD (it's been a few years), but these aren't free.....officially.

Even then, for one or two non-scratched discs I've had issues, in one case I had to use my PS3 to dump the iso (cant recall if this also removed the protection).

As for player software, I'd avoid powerdvd unless you get it for free I.e. oem copy, it's given me stability issues in the past.

Why do you need Linux Mint? I've used these fine under windows.
I mean I'm not sure why they specified Linux but I definitely wouldn't complain about a process involving Linux. I enjoy having reasons to use Linux more.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Last edited by RedColoredStars,

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Cause windows sucks and has the most bloat on an OS I've ever seen. You could realistically use any version of Linux, I personally like Linux mint for ease of use and clean smooth operations.

Ironically, Mint specifically has given me enough issues I had to ditch it as a go to distro and some of the software which might solve OPs issues with a result closest to what they want isn't available on Linux.

I mean I'm not sure why they specified Linux but I definitely wouldn't complain about a process involving Linux. I enjoy having reasons to use Linux more.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of anything for Linux which can do full rips which preserves menus, etc.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
People.... if the op wants as close to 1:1 as possible with full menu support, converting to mkv isn't what they're looking for as it's a lossy process and doesn't support menus. How is suggesting that even helpful? DVDFab's products will give them what they're looking for, although there are a few other players that also support iso and menus like Leawo Blu-ray Player, Cyberlink PowerDVD, and Nero Blu-ray Player.

P.S. Linux sucks dog cock.

Reactions: Tams80 and Kwyjor

Chaoticus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I know getting off windows and crap book are scary things, but once you actually learn how to operate a computer versus the computer operating you'll never know better... kids......

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know I know getting off windows and crap book are scary things, but once you actually learn how to operate a computer versus the computer operating you'll never know better... kids......

Oh, please. Assume much? I have over 10 years experience on you, kid. I'll run circles around you in both Linux and Windows. Maybe learn how to use Windows and you wouldn't need to switch to garbage Linux because Windows was "operating you".

P.S. Have I ever said that Linux sucks dog cock?

Last edited by RedColoredStars,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto