Misc Help with Blu-ray rips and AACS

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A few have been mentioned that will correctly play the menus. Not sure if VLC still needs a bunch of extra rigamarole to play the menus properly, but I assume so since the latest comment stating it still works is less than a month old.
Oh, neat. That's good to know.

(What's so important about "Bellsoft Java"? I've never heard of that before.)

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
This function here creates a copy of the file structure of the disc, and optionally also strips out encryption of A/V content.
I just make lossless MKVs of the video content, but this is what @linuxares would have been referring to above, since it's essentially a proper image of the disc when made this way. Then you just need to worry about how to play it/what to play it on.

1696708323920.png

Post automatically merged:

After trying several things in my test, I found that you must go to Open Disc (even though "Open Folder" is an option, it doesn't work), then select your Blu-Ray backup folder from there for VLC to work with it. Plays just like the disc if you do this. To get the menu to look correct in VLC, I had to switch to OpenGL for the video renderer.

1696713817896.png

Last edited by AkikoKumagara,
Reactions: linuxares

Ryab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Ryab do you run Windows btw?
In this instance yes. But I normal do run Linux.

This function here creates a copy of the file structure of the disc, and optionally also strips out encryption of A/V content.
I just make lossless MKVs of the video content, but this is what @linuxares would have been referring to above, since it's essentially a proper image of the disc when made this way. Then you just need to worry about how to play it/what to play it on.

View attachment 398016

After trying several things in my test, I found that you must go to Open Disc (even though "Open Folder" is an option, it doesn't work), then select your Blu-Ray backup folder from there for VLC to work with it. Plays just like the disc if you do this. To get the menu to look correct in VLC, I had to switch to OpenGL for the video renderer.

View attachment 398020
See this exact thing works for most of them. But I have 1 specific set of discs that either crashes VLC, loads to a black screen, or displays a bunch of corrupted video. I have confirmed that the tracks are very much not corrupted.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
In this instance yes. But I normal do run Linux.

See this exact thing works for most of them. But I have 1 specific set of discs that either crashes VLC, loads to a black screen, or displays a bunch of corrupted video. I have confirmed that the tracks are very much not corrupted.
Well if you use Windows or Linux. MakeMKV sounds like your best bet. And then use K3b to make blurays on Linux. Imgburn on Windows.

Ryab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if you use Windows or Linux. MakeMKV sounds like your best bet. And then use K3b to make blurays on Linux. Imgburn on Windows.
That is exactly what I've been doing. Most of the discs rip perfectly and run fine. But there is 1 specific set of discs that just either crash the player, load to a black screen, or just display corrupted pixels. I have verified that the files are not corrupted too.

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
That is exactly what I've been doing. Most of the discs rip perfectly and run fine. But there is 1 specific set of discs that just either crash the player, load to a black screen, or just display corrupted pixels. I have verified that the files are not corrupted too.
Which disk is it?

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Last edited by linuxares,

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Have you tried any of the other players mentioned to see if it's a fault with VLC or VLC's configuration that is preventing those specific discs from playing? Did you try re-ripping them with DVDFab or AnyDVD HD to be certain the ap was properly removed?

Oh, neat. That's good to know.

(What's so important about "Bellsoft Java"? I've never heard of that before.)

Bellsoft is just an OpenJDK distribution. Like how Linux has multiple distributions, so does Java outside of Oracles version.

https://www.baeldung.com/oracle-jdk-vs-openjdk

I tried Bellsoft and Oracles Java 21 and neither worked. Java 8 from both worked, although navigating the menus was pretty laggy in full screen. On a side note, DVDFab's "PlayerFab" played the menus without a separate Java install and also had no lag when navigating the menus.

Last edited by RedColoredStars,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bellsoft is just an OpenJDK distribution. Like how Linux has multiple distributions, so does Java outside of Oracles version.
It wouldn't have surprised me if some insanely subtle discrepancy had crept in somehow.

On a side note, DVDFab's "PlayerFab" played the menus without a separate Java install and also had no lag when navigating the menus.
I guess you "have" to buy their $80 product for that functionality, though?

Last edited by Kwyjor,

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I guess you "have" to buy their $80 product for that functionality, though?

Edit: Yeah. The "free" version locks all the good functions out after however many days. I did find a free 1 year key offer online that worked, but there are other options available for the latest PlayerFab 7.0.4.3. ;)

Also, word of caution to anyone using a cracked/activated version. I would steer clear of using the Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, etc. options as people have gotten account bans on their streaming services for it. Plus you don't know where your passwords might be going. Just keep it completely blocked in your firewall.

Last edited by RedColoredStars,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto