Status
Not open for further replies.

ca82686

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually, HD-DVD now has triple layer DVDs that are 51 gbs, beating the blu-rays double layer 50 gb, but whos counting. VHS is still teh winner.

jtroye32

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you're looking at it all wrong. it's about economics. right now the technologies are fairly new and the majority of average joes still have regular old DVD players they can get at wal-mart for $20. the statistics now are based on mostly tech junkies and rich people that want the latest stuff. now when the standards start shifting more heavily towards high definition and mostly the average person now has a high definition TV, what do you think they're going to do? buy the significantly more expensive blu-ray option or go with the cheaper product (HD-DVD) that gives basically the same end results in picture quality and sound? they don't care how much the format media can hold , they care that they can "put the cd in the thing and have picture shows come up. i don't care about no darn megahurtz - megahurtz is what chuck norris does!" and with the majority buying hd-dvd players the movie corporations will be forced to choose the format with the most customer demand skyrocketing the price of blu-ray players and blu-ray media since there won't be a high demand for them. the only thing blu-ray discs will be used for are PS3 games.

plus naming it "Blu-Ray"? sounds like something a 10 year old would come up with

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just because I just remembered it and it pisses me off -

Bluray = Not Region-free =
mad.gif

robi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I won't go with either format until one "wins". Consumers don't need this crap.

Looking outside of my personal biases regarding Sony, Microsoft, Apple etc.

I think the HD DVD name is more marketable to the public. TV : DVD :: HDTV : HDDVD

BluRay seems better on paper with it's capacity, but with modern codecs I wonder if that's a problem anymore

BluRay uses Java which is a known standard, verses Microsoft's HDi

All HD DVD players have ethernet ports.

I think the combo DVD/HDDVD discs are a very smart idea.

With HD DVD players you should be able to burn an HD movie on a normal DVDR with the HD DVD directory structure. A whole movie should fit if you transcode the video to H.264

And as already mentioned, region coding...that is, there is none on HD DVD.
----------

I'm leaning on HD DVD, especially for Heroes Season 1 & Planet Earth...but again I'm not keen on this format war bullshit. DVD+/-R was no big deal, this is. It's ridiculous that in this day and age consumers have to deal with this.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

Dack

Trophies
XP
Country
Whereas the first gen blu-ray can't do PiP or guarantee internet access meaning upgrade/extras issues (as that wasn't part of the "spec")

So what's going to happen if you have a BD+ issue on your player? (see FFRotSS for an example).

Blu-ray wasn't specced properly, they are now trying to finalise it with the version 2.0 but that still leaves the version 1.0 and 1.1 players very much in a "what's going to happen in the future" state.

Region coding is even more of an issue in Europe - thats why HD DVD is more popular with those that buy higher end equipment over here (and who don't own a PS3).

Edit:
Forgot to mention, apparently the first gen HD DVD players *CAN* read the triple layer discs.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
They can put the movies on the first 2 layers and all your precious extras on the third

You think they would use 21GB for Extras? And no. Toshiba has yet to prove 1st Gen HD-DVD players can read the triple layer disc.

I notice you are ignoring all the points people are making about bluray specs not being finalised and earlier bluray players being gimped since they wont be able to play later discs.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
They can put the movies on the first 2 layers and all your precious extras on the third

You think they would use 21GB for Extras? And no. Toshiba has yet to prove 1st Gen HD-DVD players can read the triple layer disc.

I notice you are ignoring all the points people are making about bluray specs not being finalised and earlier bluray players being gimped since they wont be able to play later discs.

I didn't ignore, I just didn't feel the need to reply considering how arrogant you are.

Crygor64

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

I didn't ignore, I just didn't feel the need to reply considering how arrogant you are.

Mods, you've got to be kidding me. I know this is the testing area but why is this particular user allowed to be such an ass towards his fellow users?

And here I thought message boards were about friendly debate? Silly me.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

Mods, you've got to be kidding me. I know this is the testing area but why is this particular user allowed to be such an ass towards his fellow users?

Look who's talking? I called him arrogant, it still is a Friendly debate. He's arrogant. Your Arrogant. 'Nuff Said.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gamefaq tards such as OP is why we cant have nice things

THIS IS NOT GAMEFAQS WE DONT CARE THAT YOURE A FANBOY GO TROLL ELSEWHERE FFS

I DONT CARE IF YOU THINK YOURE NOT TROLLING, YOU ARE

Crygor64

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Look who's talking? I called him arrogant, it still is a Friendly debate. He's arrogant. Your Arrogant. 'Nuff Said.

Well I may be "arrogant" as you say but you have quickly become this forums most disliked user.

Good for you. Its an "honor" that you truly deserve.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

Well I may be "arrogant" as you say but you have quickly become this forums most disliked user.

Good for you. Its an "honor" that you truly deserve.

Not necessarily. Ace doesn't mind
happy.gif
Besides Since when do YOU = Whole GBAtemp.

gamefaq tards such as OP is why we cant have nice things

THIS IS NOT GAMEFAQS WE DONT CARE THAT YOURE A FANBOY GO TROLL ELSEWHERE FFS

I DONT CARE IF YOU THINK YOURE NOT TROLLING, YOU ARE

Testing Area is made for trolling. And fagget don't call me a retard.

Crygor64

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So you're happy that everyone hates you?

Good for you.

And so you admit that you're trolling even after you denied that fact earlier in the thread?

Good for you.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Crygor64 don't get yourself worked up over this, ZeWarriorReturns uses cheap ad hominem attacks and ad hoc reasoning to get his point across, quite pathetic I agree. Watch him reply to this with some sort of insult, it's very amusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)