Best Buy ditching all physical media (blu-rays etc..) in 2024

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seems to be the way of the world. Various charity shops had 10 DVDs for £1 with most blu rays not far behind. Very rarely see them sold at car boot sales despite many people offering them/having boxes there.

That said I was in best buy about a year ago having not been in one in many years. Was atrociously stocked, very few staff around, most things seemed to be "we know you need this now/are old and don't know how to online" so I might also ponder how long bestbuy has for this world. In years prior they would still gouge you for businessman essentials but at least had something going for them.

Reactions: Kioku and SylverReZ

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Best Buy is not what it used to be, unfortunately. My local store carries next to nothing in stock, but is more than happy to tell you that you can order it online. Then they try to sell the membership (tired of this shtick from all retail stores). If I wasn’t living where I am, I’d likely never step foot in one again.

Reactions: Marc_LFD and Xzi

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, I've not bought Blu-rays and the reason being was Sony's stubbornness not allowing me to watch the movies I bought without updating the damn firmware!

If I had a PS3 CFW'd for way longer it might have been different, but that left me very disappointed as a customer.

That said, this is awful they're removing because even if people prefer digital/streaming for convenience, BD/DVD still have better quality and more reliable.

Digital purchases can end up disappearing / unplayable and that's what people tend to forget until it happens to them. With digital, you don't own anything (if it's DRM'd).

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=357794

Reactions: Megadriver94

wiiu20603

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That said, this is awful they're removing because even if people prefer digital/streaming for convenience, BD/DVD still have better quality and more reliable.

Digital purchases can end up disappearing / unplayable and that's what people tend to forget until it happens to them. With digital, you don't own anything (if it's DRM'd).

This is a piracy forum lol. Who here actually pays for any media?

There are plenty of way to get 4K 10bit 7.2 content that never expires and can't be taken away from you.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
This is a piracy forum lol. Who here actually pays for any media?

There are plenty of way to get 4K 10bit 7.2 content that never expires and can't be taken away from you.
Until you get a loud knock on your door…

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Seems to be the way of the world. Various charity shops had 10 DVDs for £1 with most blu rays not far behind. Very rarely see them sold at car boot sales despite many people offering them/having boxes there.
Easy way to get all movies and TV series one cares for. Way cheaper than stupid streaming services. Anybody willing to dump DVDs/BDs profits from the smug "We have left this behind" attitude.
This year people started trying to sell DVDs/BDs for 1€ or 50cent a piece around here, but there is a tendency to offer boxes with 40+ DVDs for low prices. Hopefully I can blindly stock up on old movies next year.

As for the new streaming exclusive things obviously existing nowadays: I've yet to hear from anything I would be willing to watch for free. Up to now what I noticed was more the kind of "Pay me for damages if I have to watch this."

To be honest, I've not bought Blu-rays and the reason being was Sony's stubbornness not allowing me to watch the movies I bought without updating the damn firmware!
I don't even have any BD player. I just dump the discs to HDD and forget about any problems. I tried to watch a BD once with the PowerDVD software that came with the BD drive.
Black screen. No error message.

So much for watching my original discs the way intended.

BlazeMasterBM

I Eat Garlics
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Easy way to get all movies and TV series one cares for. Way cheaper than stupid streaming services. Anybody willing to dump DVDs/BDs profits from the smug "We have left this behind" attitude.
This year people started trying to sell DVDs/BDs for 1€ or 50cent a piece around here, but there is a tendency to offer boxes with 40+ DVDs for low prices. Hopefully I can blindly stock up on old movies next year.

As for the new streaming exclusive things obviously existing nowadays: I've yet to hear from anything I would be willing to watch for free. Up to now what I noticed was more the kind of "Pay me for damages if I have to watch this."

I don't even have any BD player. I just dump the discs to HDD and forget about any problems. I tried to watch a BD once with the PowerDVD software that came with the BD drive.
Black screen. No error message.

So much for watching my original discs the way intended.
I recently had some fellow at a yard sale try to offer me somewhere around 50+ DVD discs (no cases) in a box for $10, the entire thing. I declined for a few reasons.
1. No cases... how am I going to store them? And they will likely degrade in quality if some of them aren't already broken
2. Most of the shows/movies were things I don't care about and would likely never watch.
3. Trying not to spend money on useless things.

Also this is why Worst Buy stays losing

Reactions: Marc_LFD

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I honestly can’t remember the last time I bought a piece of physical media (outside of video games.) I can’t really afford them most of the time nor can I see myself watching shit enough times to get my money’s worth out of them. I also prefer to carry around as little stuff as possible. I really can’t even see value in them as there are just cheaper and easier ways to consume media these days

Reactions: SylverReZ

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
As long as I'm still able to acquire FLAC audio files and MKV video files, I really don't care if physical music and movies die off. Sad to see, but I can't avoid the inevitable forever.

I really wish publishers and companies stop pushing digital so damn hard though for video games. We need the used game market to thrive, or we'll see another video game crash again. It's almost unavoidable.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I still usually prefer physical media.

In the case of console games, I prefer the media as the DRM.

In the case of CDs and BDs it can be higher quality and easier to rip.

Music can be an exception to the quality rule, but I've found it to be less common than lossy codes or you have to subscribe to a service.

I tend to only buy DD movies if they're DD only/allow you to download DRM free or just dirt cheap so if they remove them (yes this has happened) it's not a huge loss.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: lol there's a guy selling mig switch in usa on ebay for $200/ea he's definitely going to get...