Hacking Block updates from 5.3.0

rorro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Without any warning my Wii U updated itself to 5.3.0, it didnt let me choose or anything.

I want to block future updates, and i dont know if blocking IPs or URLs from the router are going to work or not. So, is there a safe way to block future updates from the router, or i will need to disable the internet connection from the Wii U from now on??

Thanks in advance.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
go into your wiiu options menu and near the end disable standby mode. if standby mode is on the wiiu will update whenever the hell it wants.

That doesn't provide any protection. It will still auto update while playing something instead of when on standby.

Without any warning my Wii U updated itself to 5.3.0, it didnt let me choose or anything.

I want to block future updates, and i dont know if blocking IPs or URLs from the router are going to work or not. So, is there a safe way to block future updates from the router, or i will need to disable the internet connection from the Wii U from now on??

Thanks in advance.

You could theoretically block the update server. However, this is impractical. When an update comes out, the Wii U will know about it even when the update server it blocked. That's because of signing into the Nintendo Network. The Wii U will refuse to let you play even single player games offline if an update is detected and signed into the Nintendo Network. At this point, the internet connection becomes useless, and you will want to remove it from the Wii U. Try the URL blocking for now, but as soon as the next update comes out, you will need to delete your whole internet connection.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to be completely safe, wipe out your internet settings. That's the only 100% safe bet, but keep in mind if a new game comes with a later firmware on the disc, its going to be required to play said game (until firmware spoofing is possible). It won't matter if your online or not in that case.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be extra safe, I had triple blocking. I had the connection deleted. I had the whole Wii U's Mac address being blocked, and I had url blocking of the shop servers. I'm trying to update now, and I had to remove all three levels of protection. This is helpful, because it protects you from someone else adding the connection back to the Wii U.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be extra safe, I had triple blocking. I had the connection deleted. I had the whole Wii U's Mac address being blocked, and I had url blocking of the shop servers. I'm trying to update now, and I had to remove all three levels of protection. This is helpful, because it protects you from someone else adding the connection back to the Wii U.
No lead lined enclosure?

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No lead lined enclosure?

No, and to be fair, this process made sense. I had shop blocking first, but then it wouldn't even let me play games offline. So I tried MAC blocking, which worked, but caused delays while the Wii U tried to connect and failed. Removing the connection got rid of the errors and delays.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It prevents your console from auto updating so when new exploits come out, people arent locked out of it right away

Question, wouldn't deleting the connection from settings suffice? Currently ISPs like Google don't have IP blacklisting features on their routers' firmware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up