Block updates from 5.3.0

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by rorro, Nov 23, 2014.

1. rorro
    OP

rorro Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2014
    Mexico
    Without any warning my Wii U updated itself to 5.3.0, it didnt let me choose or anything.

I want to block future updates, and i dont know if blocking IPs or URLs from the router are going to work or not. So, is there a safe way to block future updates from the router, or i will need to disable the internet connection from the Wii U from now on??

Thanks in advance.

2. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    go into your wiiu options menu and near the end disable standby mode. if standby mode is on the wiiu will update whenever the hell it wants.

3. Slartibartfast42

Slartibartfast42 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    That doesn't provide any protection. It will still auto update while playing something instead of when on standby.

You could theoretically block the update server. However, this is impractical. When an update comes out, the Wii U will know about it even when the update server it blocked. That's because of signing into the Nintendo Network. The Wii U will refuse to let you play even single player games offline if an update is detected and signed into the Nintendo Network. At this point, the internet connection becomes useless, and you will want to remove it from the Wii U. Try the URL blocking for now, but as soon as the next update comes out, you will need to delete your whole internet connection.

4. TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth :P
    If you want to be completely safe, wipe out your internet settings. That's the only 100% safe bet, but keep in mind if a new game comes with a later firmware on the disc, its going to be required to play said game (until firmware spoofing is possible). It won't matter if your online or not in that case.

5. Slartibartfast42

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    To be extra safe, I had triple blocking. I had the connection deleted. I had the whole Wii U's Mac address being blocked, and I had url blocking of the shop servers. I'm trying to update now, and I had to remove all three levels of protection. This is helpful, because it protects you from someone else adding the connection back to the Wii U.

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  6. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    No lead lined enclosure?

7. Slartibartfast42

Mar 6, 2013
    United States
    No, and to be fair, this process made sense. I had shop blocking first, but then it wouldn't even let me play games offline. So I tried MAC blocking, which worked, but caused delays while the Wii U tried to connect and failed. Removing the connection got rid of the errors and delays.

8. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Or, you know, delete the connection settings? Even if you block the update, and even if you can go online, you won't be able when the next firmware comes out. IP blocking only works so far.

9. CarefulCrysis

CarefulCrysis GBAtemp Fan

Jan 25, 2013
    Birmingham, United Kingdom
    What would be the benefit of blocking the wii u from updating? I'm well out of the loop

10. TeamScriptKiddies

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    It prevents your console from auto updating so when new exploits come out, people arent locked out of it right away

11. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Question, wouldn't deleting the connection from settings suffice? Currently ISPs like Google don't have IP blacklisting features on their routers' firmware.

12. TeamScriptKiddies

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    you are correct good sir

13. Smashbro29

Smashbro29 GBAtemp Fan

May 25, 2009
    United States
    I want to block updates while keeping my internet connection.

What exactly do I block?

I also got burned by auto updating.