Homebrew blargSnes -- SNES emulator for the 3DS (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
No worries,
Well on the upside, Shin Megami tensai now goes in-game, where-as it couldn't in 1.1 :)
And the sound's just great too :D

REALLY impressed.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Perhaps unofficial builds should just stop being shared (on GBATemp or at least this thread), because that is where most of the complaining is coming from now. People grabbing the built unofficial version, and thinking StapleButter will help them with it.
Well I think it's a good solution to write a warning in the emulator itself.
something like
THIS BUILD IS UNSTABLE AND UNSUPPORTED.
YOU'RE IN LUCK IF IT EVEN RUNS ANY GAME AND DOESN'T BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN

Reactions: jasonmbrown

Ewo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh hey, my build was the only one removed by mods. Neato.

EDIT: For clarification's sake, I'm not bitter, although I think someone should try to remove the others, particularly links to that one hosted on mega.

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
I'd be ready to link to the 1.19 build for the sake of posterity. The 1.19 build wasn't too bad, minus lack of certain features, and it's what Smealum showed off in his Ninjhax presentation video.

The issue with the latest revisions is different. As I said, that bug with Earthbound popped up out of nowhere. It started acting like I'm always pressing left, but I haven't touched the input code or anything critical. So I don't quite know what the implications of this are-- there may be a more severe bug hiding somewhere. For example, something that accesses an array goes out of bound and overwrites something else and causes the game to react that way.

I have a few ideas in mind regarding that. If they don't work, I'll have to test the last few revisions one per one to find out when it started happening.

This kind of bug, along with the unofficial status of the builds, is why I don't want these last revisions released. That's all.

Oh and also because the actual 1.2 release is actually very close. Once I'm done implementing settings and have fixed that bug, it'll be good for a release.

Aside from that, I don't like unofficial builds much because there are always people reporting issues without precising what they used, but no real problem. Hell, my previous project lolSNES even had an autobuilder that distributed Git builds. The only reason I didn't do it again is that it killed my incentive to make proper releases.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Aside from that, I don't like unofficial builds much because there are always people reporting issues without precising what they used, but no real problem. Hell, my previous project lolSNES even had an autobuilder that distributed Git builds. The only reason I didn't do it again is that it killed my incentive to make proper releases.
I think the weirdest bug of all is the crash when we press UP on the first rom in the list, hah

Jhyrachy

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sorry for the question, but how do i make screenshoot?
I spammed buttons but i can't find the proper funcion... (This or now my sd is full of screenshoot)

Ewo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the weirdest bug of all is the crash when we press UP on the first rom in the list, hah
That's due to an error in the new wrapping code, and it's fairly simple.

There probably wouldn't be so many people downloading unofficial builds if the Ninjhax site and demo video didn't promise sound.

Jhyrachy

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Okay, the Earthbound bug is fixed. This shit is where we love having something like Git.

The bug with the ROM list will be fixed soon too.
Sorry for bothering you, but could you please explain what the problem was?
I read your past posts and bow i'm curious!

Arisotura

rise of melonism
OP
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
Sorry for bothering you, but could you please explain what the problem was?
I read your past posts and bow i'm curious!
It was some failed attempt at open-bus emulation, basically. Some reads would return 0x42 when they were meant to return 0.

Are there any plans to implement saved states and maybe fast-forward and rewind? StapleButter
Yes, but not a high priority atm.

Unrelatedly, I looked a bit into the rare freeze issue. While I haven't found the exact cause of it, I found that it can be avoided. It's a dirty solution, but hey, doesn't stop blargSNES from running. In the worst case you would observe a visual hiccup and then it would continue running normally.

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No worries,
Well on the upside, Shin Megami tensai now goes in-game, where-as it couldn't in 1.1 :)
And the sound's just great too :D

REALLY impressed.
At first I thought there's a new official build with sound. Thanks for crushing my hopes. :P

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps unofficial builds should just stop being shared (on GBATemp or at least this thread), because that is where most of the complaining is coming from now. People grabbing the built unofficial version, and thinking StapleButter will help them with it.

Then we need some kind of disclaimer, wouldn't we, telling people to not expect help from these builds?

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's a tricky situation. If a project is open source, then I suppose unofficial binaries are something that should be expected. It would be a sad day if the project were to go closed source because open source benefits the scene for all the obvious reasons, but the side effect of everybody having access to the source is, well, everybody has access to the source.

I think emulator authors are well within their rights to request unofficial builds to not be posted within their own thread. Outside that context however, it's just a situation that should be expected and the best course of action is to deny support. In most contexts, this kind of open sourcing is a valuable way to getting bugtests and feedback (see Nintendont), but maybe blargSnes is too early in its development for that just yet.

Regardless, I hope developers aren't put off from making their projects open source, because the longevity of the scene depends on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Biden looking like he's about to cry in this entire thing lol