Hacking Backup Launcher by Wiigator

LAA

Trophies
XP
Country
quim69 said:
LAA said:
I only use High Qulity DVD-R's too (Thank you Dad!)
Which brand? Made in which country? What MID do they have?

Sorry, I dont know.
Dad took the label of them for some reason...(I think he likes it to be see through, so he can see how many discs hes got round about).
I think its some japananse name...
I remember him saying they make another brand of DVD's which were famous, but they also make their own brand which is better.
Sorry, that I'm not much help to you...

EDIT: Just asked my dad if he remembered, he said its something like taesotiden...???
Sorry, I'm not much help, just search for like High Quality DVD-R's or something like I typed above.

LAA

Trophies
XP
Country
Shadowmoses said:
isnt it tayo yuden?

Could be...
It definately sounds like it could be...

EDIT: I just did a quick search on the name...
Interestingly...they made the first ever CD-R!
I never knew that!
They must definately know their stuff then!

magic12

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
WiiGator said:
Lafie said:
My 2 cents about the 'Game Disc could not be read.' error in relation to this new loader.
The game gives that error message, whenever it doesn't get the right data (or no data at all) from the disc. So naturally, the problem is with Wiigator's custom dvd read code. What I think (and I can't be sure, ofcourse) is that Wiigator either removed or didn't add certain sanity/integrity checks when reading the discs, probably to improve speed.
This can also explain, why some people get the error with all games, and others only with some, because with a bad DVD media or a dodgy burn, the integrity checks become much more important, because bad data will come along faster with bad DVD media.
Ofcourse, the above is complete speculation, but I'm pretty certain the problem is rather trivial and if found, pretty easy to fix (i.e. doesn't require major rewrite of code).

P.S. It could also be that the loader uses certain memory addresses as buffer, which are actually in use by other wii processes, but this doesn't explain the error quite that well.

Now you know what problems I had the last week. The same games were reported to work and not to work by different testers. When I tried a game, it was working for me and when I asked Waninkoko, the games were also working for him. I wanted to know which Wii configuration leads to the problem. I was already thinking that I need to retry a read when it fails, but the old loader doesn't do this. All testers reported that the games were working before, so I was thinking that the burned disc must be good. I was wondering why marcan added retry code to dvdx libs. Maybe he saw that reads sometimes fail. I will give some testers a version with read retry for test. Also I must say that I only use high quality DVD-R, maybe this is the cause why I don't see the errors.

Can the people, which have game running, and the people, which have the same game not running, discuss the differences?
e.g. System menu version, DVD-R type, language, screen resolution, chipset on Wii, PAL/NTSC

can you tell us what pal version do you use for testing 3.3 or 3.2...?

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure about WiiGator, but I only use Verbatim discs, which as far as I know are known to be very high quality. Even burning at 18x, I haven't encountered many problems. According to DVDinfopro the media is "MCC 03RG20". Of course if you want the very best, you should buy Taiyo Yuden discs.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a non-modded Wii, 3.3a, deleted 249 and DVDx, Homebrew Channel 8, and various WiiWare titles...

Would people post their configs for the following games:

Wario Land Shake It
BoomBlox
Price is Right
Guitar Hero Aerosmith

Would like to get these games working again!

fennec

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
WiiGator said:
Now you know what problems I had the last week. The same games were reported to work and not to work by different testers. When I tried a game, it was working for me and when I asked Waninkoko, the games were also working for him. I wanted to know which Wii configuration leads to the problem. I was already thinking that I need to retry a read when it fails, but the old loader doesn't do this. All testers reported that the games were working before, so I was thinking that the burned disc must be good. I was wondering why marcan added retry code to dvdx libs. Maybe he saw that reads sometimes fail. I will give some testers a version with read retry for test. Also I must say that I only use high quality DVD-R, maybe this is the cause why I don't see the errors.

Can the people, which have game running, and the people, which have the same game not running, discuss the differences?
e.g. System menu version, DVD-R type, language, screen resolution, chipset on Wii, PAL/NTSC

Hi WiiGator,

Are you and Waninkoko using modchips ? They could explain that you can read most games. Ability of the Wii to read burned discs seems to be a great mix of media, burner and wii reader itself, I used 3 different burners and quality medias (verbatim and memorex) and had random results.

Would it be possible to generate a log file on the sdcard, that way it would be easier to report things to you.

Thank you both
wink.gif

magic12

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
zidane_genome said:
I have a non-modded Wii, 3.3a, deleted 249 and DVDx, Homebrew Channel 8, and various WiiWare titles...

Wario Land Shake It
BoomBlox
Price is Right
Guitar Hero Aerosmith

PAL 3.3E unmodded HBC9

Boom Blox (PAL) decrypted - working

LAA

Trophies
XP
Country
zidane_genome said:

Wario Land Shake It
BoomBlox
Price is Right
Guitar Hero Aerosmith

Well, I have tried Wario Land (PAL + Patched) and it hasnt got past the cutscene yet, it keeps crashing at various points, (Mostly when the girl first appears so far)
Hope that helps you 1/4!

kernel32

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't see it anywhere but was anyone able to answer whether it was possible to use 0.1 and 0.3 (I wanted to use We Ski today) :-)
or is there a way I can just go back to 0.1 (of course I'd love to use both for certain gaems etc...)

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
LAA said:
Sorry, I dont know.
DVDInfoPro or imgburn will tell you the inserted discs MID, eg I currently have a verbatim dvd+r 16 disc in and imgburn tells me it is:

Physical Format Information (ADIP):
Disc ID: MCC-004-00

QUOTE(fennec @ Oct 26 2008, 03:52 PM) Ability of the Wii to read burned discs seems to be a great mix of media, burner and wii reader itself, I used 3 different burners and quality medias (verbatim and memorex) and had random results.
Memorex discs are low quality, they use CMC and Ritek dyes.

Pioneer burner, Verbatim or TY discs and games should all run fine unless your wii is dying.

kernel32

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:

Wario Land Shake It
BoomBlox
Price is Right
Guitar Hero Aerosmith

I believe patched Boomblox works on both PAL and NTSC

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
kernel32 said:
zidane_genome said:

Wario Land Shake It
BoomBlox
Price is Right
Guitar Hero Aerosmith

I believe patched Boomblox works on both PAL and NTSC

You're right about the ntsc patched Boomblox...my kid is having no probs...

So far games that don't work for me USA-NTSC decrypted (patched)

Fire Emblem Radiant
The Legend of Spyro Eternal Nights
Sam and Max Season1 (Still resets like before as everyone has said)

I have over 50 games to try still... just try pulling the wiimote out of a 5 year old's hand to test games... hehe

sadcrag

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been using fujifilm dvd-r and all my games are working. Almost all are patched and burnt at 3X in imgburn.

I have boom blox working it is a decrypted version.

i am NTSC

WiiGator

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I use Intenso DVD-R max. 16x and burn with 2x speed Pioneer DVR-1060R/XV. The device has never been sold standalone by the manufacturer. I extracted it from a video recorder. The device is not able to write Verbatim discs and other new stuff.

System Menu 3.2E, PAL 16:9, 576i, german

In general it is possible to have Backuplauncher 0.1 and Backuplauncher 0.3 at the same time installed. The only problem is that you need to change the source code. It is a small change in the Backuplauncher and the cios installer. You need to choose a different IOS number.

Lafie

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You can find Media Codes for the best performing media HERE. Just use it to verify the succes rate of your own media or use Google to find which DVD Media has the media code with the best performance. You can use IMGBurn to find the media code of your DVD's.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work