Hacking Backup Launcher by Wiigator

Jizmo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've discovered something that might come in handy and save everybody from some having to unplug the Wii power cord so much when testing games.

Let me start out by staing i have a NTSC-USA console and i'm using component cables to a LCD tv that can sync both PAL and NTSC fine so i can run most games that work.

Anyway to put things in simplest terms, to exit games cleanly to the Wii menu follow one simple rule. If you're Playing the game in you're console's native format (Playing game in NTSC mode on NTSC console) you can cleanly exit to the Wii Menu throught the HOME button. If you're playing in PAL mode on an NTSC console use the reset button. If you try to exit through the HOME button it will crash and you'll have to unplug. I've verified this on
5 diffrent out of region games and it worked exactly the same way on all of them. This also holds true if you're play an NTSC game in PAL mode on the NTSC console. Even though it's an NTSC game on an NTSC console, if you're playing it forced to PAL mode it will crash if trying to exit through home button.

So i think it simply boils down to if your playing in the mode that matches your native region you can safely exit through the Home button, otherwise safe exit is through the reset button. At least this seems to be a constant on my system.

The games i used to test this were...

More Games Party - PAL
Tony Hawks Proving Grounds - PAL
Driver Parallel Lines - NTSC
Mario Party 8 - PAL
Tiger Woods 09 - PAL

Can someone verify this? It follows the rule 100% of the time on these 5 games.

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
kernel32 said:
I didn't see it anywhere but was anyone able to answer whether it was possible to use 0.1 and 0.3 (I wanted to use We Ski today) :-)
or is there a way I can just go back to 0.1 (of course I'd love to use both for certain gaems etc...)

Play your retail version...because this is not for pirating....
blink.gif

QUOTE(Jizmo @ Oct 26 2008, 02:05 PM) I've discovered something that might come in handy and save everybody from some having to unplug the Wii power cord so much when testing games.

Let me start out by staing i have a NTSC-USA console and i'm using component cables to a LCD tv that can sync both PAL and NTSC fine so i can run most games that work.

Anyway to put things in simplest terms, to exit games cleanly to the Wii menu follow one simple rule. If you're Playing the game in you're console's native format (Playing game in NTSC mode on NTSC console) you can cleanly exit to the Wii Menu throught the HOME button. If you're playing in PAL mode on an NTSC console use the reset button. If you try to exit through the HOME button it will crash and you'll have to unplug. I've verified this on
5 diffrent out of region games and it worked exactly the same way on all of them. This also holds true if you're play an NTSC game in PAL mode on the NTSC console. Even though it's an NTSC game on an NTSC console, if you're playing it forced to PAL mode it will crash if trying to exit through home button.

So i think it simply boils down to if your playing in the mode that matches your native region you can safely exit through the Home button, otherwise safe exit is through the reset button. At least this seems to be a constant on my system.

The games i used to test this were...

More Games Party - PAL
Tony Hawks Proving Grounds - PAL
Driver Parallel Lines - NTSC
Mario Party 8 - PAL
Tiger Woods 09 - PAL

Can someone verify this? It follows the rule 100% of the time on these 5 games.

Instead of unplugging it you can just hold the power button in for like 8-10 seconds and it will power down and then hit the power button again it will reboot... Similar to PCs.

blackbrew

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
abc.moc
XP
Country
Netherlands
hello everyone,
yesterday i intalled the v0.3 and test it very good work,
for very stupid reason i had to work this sunday
dry.gif

now im trying to read if i missed a thing ? but really i can't, is there anything to add since yesterday
like new loader channel ? maybe
thanks

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ugh. No.
The Waninkoko cIOS rev6 is different.

It contains the same DIP plugin as WiiGator's does, only this includes more IOS patches.

How I know I'm right:
Try and run Channel Loader with WiiGator's, then try it with rev6.

I'm working on editing WiiGator's cIOS Installer to add in all the patches rev5 (rev6 only adds DIP plugin) has.

substancev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys.. I have a bit of a favor.. I've read this whole thread and thought I had everything I needed to mod my friends wii.. I'm currently communicating via my blackberry PDA.. I have no internet ..

I have djtaz's zip.. Loaded to sd card.. Grabbed the 0000001 folder and put it in the root.. But I can't install 3.3 safely... I installed the cios_installer and the channel... I tried running ironman and got a loader..

From version 3.2u how do I get this working with out wifi. Djtaz ur howto states to install 3.3 dvdx and such.. Following ur howto I get stuck at install 3.3..

Again I'm on a phone placing this post.. Be gentle for flaming.. No internet and search via phone is pain staking

substancev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so maybe ironman is not working. i get some error in the launcher but i cant read it.. txt overlapping.. i installed the HBC then proceeded to then cios installer then launcher.. tried iron man and it didnt work. Could someone kindly repost the compatibility link... id search but im on a cell phone

CooLKasT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi ther,

1) Anybody having problems games are working at fitrst and then keep giving the "famous" can't read error?

2) Did anybody notice that when new cios is installed loader 0.1 makes no difference compared to 0.3? At leats thats what i have...

3) All my waninkoko patched games don't work anymore, only 1:1 copies.

Btw two thumbs up for waninkoko and wiigator, the did a gr8 job, hope they can fix the can't read error!

grog.gif

vic1337

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need some help, now i have the update 3.2 and i try to install the cios to run the backuplauncher 0.3, it connects ok to internet and download all the 15 parts but then some error saying fail appear and a install -1

I have the CIOS36_rev5 and the ios 249 from dvdx, i download Custom IOS Uninstaller and it found and delete the ios249 (just like the tutorial of Wiigator say) but the problem continue the same, help please =(

fennec

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi CooLKasT,

1) Yes this is "normal", check new compatibility wiki for 0.3 :
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/Backup_Launcher_v3

2) cios is doing most of the magic, so 0.1 behave like 0.3

3) check wiki, few games dont work anymore if being decrypted, 1:1 seems better.

CooLKasT said:
Hi ther,

1) Anybody having problems games are working at fitrst and then keep giving the "famous" can't read error?

2) Did anybody notice that when new cios is installed loader 0.1 makes no difference compared to 0.3? At leats thats what i have...

3) All my waninkoko patched games don't work anymore, only 1:1 copies.

Btw two thumbs up for waninkoko and wiigator, the did a gr8 job, hope they can fix the can't read error!

grog.gif

winker_wii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey 0.3 works great, faster as Wiigator blogs, but I didnt expect so fast.....

Mario Galaxy also works without the need for the save game...not that miss much..

Anyway..My Question..

Now we can play Backups!!! what will Nintendo do next.... the softmod must be a big if not huge blow to them....

Now I knows guys like WiiGator and Waninkoko will always be on the scene to fix whatever big N break for us all....but will there come a time when they'll just shut the modded wii's down|???

W

crazyguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
winker_wii said:
....but will there come a time when they'll just shut the modded wii's down|???

Just a definitive NO because what we do is not illegal in some countrys. So if big N disables my console I will surely sue big N because of illegal destruction of my stuff
wink.gif

WiiGator

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't know what Nintendo will do, but I believe they will need at least 3 month. Theoretically they fixed the problem, so they may do nothing.

One tester reported that Super Paper Mario doesn't load at all, it is now fixed for him. I added the link to this version. When you report a game to work or not, please also mention that you have installed the fix. It seems only to fix bugs, which are reported by only one tester. This doesn't fix problems like the star wars problem, which was reported by many testers.

EDIT: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=26HQT909

SHA1
1113cbb49643d2f8ddc72754760d859152f976f9 cios_installer.dol

MD5
548c3ec9eaba982997d4bf2f0100ad8b cios_installer.dol

There was a question before about the source code for the backup launcher DOL. Yes, I used the old version of *****OS and I downloaded the new files.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    QuarterCut @ QuarterCut: my reaction to such information +1