Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
goku1980 said:
theres this patchmii cios on qj from tona n e 1 know if it works with gators loader?

http://wii.qj.net/Wii-homebrew-cIOS-Patchm...g/49/aid/125152

Cios This is not compatible because it has no DIP

So we must remain on the old yet
rolleyes.gif

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to thank again, those who helped me last night. As I played Wii Music and Mario Kart Wii last night and they worked like a charm.

It's a shame Wii Music is only available in Japanesse at the moment as i had to skip 99.9% of the text which pops up during game play.

Anyway, regardless of when the loader comes out, it's best to stick with what we have for the time being. Although, as to think I have only completed the retro cups on 50cc whilst playing Mario Kart Wii last night and i hope to get back to it later.

All I can say is, good luck waiting for the loader regardless if it comes out next month, next year or whenever.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
LWares said:
I'd like to thank again, those who helped me last night. As I played Wii Music and Mario Kart Wii last night and they worked like a charm.

It's a shame Wii Music is only available in Japanesse at the moment as i had to skip 99.9% of the text which pops up during game play.

Anyway, regardless of when the loader comes out, it's best to stick with what we have for the time being. Although, as to think I have only completed the retro cups on 50cc whilst playing Mario Kart Wii last night and i hope to get back to it later.

All I can say is, good luck waiting for the loader regardless if it comes out next month, next year or whenever.

Good to see your up and running - well done for keeping at it.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For those who want to know what's happened in the last 200+ pages, here's a quick update;

WiiGator releases 0.1 of his loader, everyone rejoices!
The masses want to know if he'll be working on the next version.
WiiGator says that 0.2 is crap, and being scrapped for 0.3
Videos of the faster load time due to better caching and better compatability due to rewrite of code is released.
(deleted by mod, nothing to see here, move along) - we aren't going to get into this, as the Mods have forbade us to.
Linkinworm's video of a Menu Loader (app that allows backup discs to be displayed BUT NOT LAUNCHED from the Disc Channel is found, and the masses go wild)

Now we wait PATENTLY, and we DON'T ASK WHEN IT WILL BE RELEASED...

As for the 3ed week of November release date. I am the one WiiGator told about it. I have the PM still in my inbox. No one has contacted me to prove it otherwise, and yes, it is confirmed by WiiGator after several emails (not PMs).

What to expect :

No need to install DVDx anymore - you can use your Miidia players agian.
New cIOS to do all patching, so you won't have to run your ISO's thru the backup-creator anymore.
2 Versions - 1:1 backups and "Patched" backups
SUPER FAST load times... only a 5-10 second delay at the beginning of the game, no more stuttered audio/video

Rumors of v0.4
Disc Channel loading of backups!
Backup Loader channel with full banner support
GameCube backups

And for a last time, expected release date is Nov 17 (just for kicks, WiiGator thought it would be funny to release it on a Monday, because of VC and WiiWare releases every Monday) -- CONFIRMED! Unless you hear otherwise by WiiGator, expect it to be out the 3ed week of November, maybe not the Monday, but that week.

kanoeyes

Trophies
XP
Country
LWares said:

weel we are waiting and good luck on mario kart wii

digitydogs

404 Error: Member Not Found
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:
Wii Music is being reported as relased via GameFAQs in the US... wonder when we'll see a dump of it...

Back to topic...

For those who want to know what's happened in the last 192 pages, here's a quick update;

Videos of the increased load time due to better caching and better compatability due to rewrite of code is released.
(deleted by mod, nothing to see here, move along) - we aren't going to get into this, as the Mods have forbade us to.
Linkinworm's video of a Menu Loader (app that allows backup discs to be displayed BUT NOT LAUNCHED from the Disc Channel is found, and the masses go wild)

There's the last 191 pages summed up... enjoy!

Good summary, just one small typo... load times decreased not increase
smile.gif

Edit- Original quoted since it jumped to a new page

leonheart_a

Trophies
XP
Country
zidane_genome said:
Wii Music is being reported as relased via GameFAQs in the US... wonder when we'll see a dump of it...

Back to topic...

For those who want to know what's happened in the last 192 pages, here's a quick update;

Videos of the increased load time due to better caching and better compatability due to rewrite of code is released.

There's the last 191 pages summed up... enjoy!

This should be posted every page after this to make sure people stop asking for summaries etc.

Lafie

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'd like to paint everybody a picture in this post, of what the future of Wii Backup Loading will probably be like. I'm basing this on my knowledge of the Wii and pure speculation
tongue.gif
. However, I can with confidence say that the below scenario is not technically impossible.

The future of DVD based Wii Backup Loading:
Loading of backups will eventually be possible to same way you are launching your retail Wii games right now, through the Disc Channel. However, for that to be possible, the System Menu has to be modified. Instead, a clone of the System Menu will be placed on either the SD card or on the Wii itself. This clone will be loaded through BootMii, and will start up just like the System Menu right now.
The System Menu clone will have a modified Disc Channel, which is capable of detecting both real Wii discs, as well as Backup discs. In both cases it will load the banner of the game, but when you click Start with a Backup disc in the drive, a cIOS will be loaded. This cIOS will detect the IOS the game requires and then on the fly patches a DIP module into that IOS. The Wii will reboot into this modified IOS and will then be able to load the Backup disc. [The above step is necessary to ensure full compatibility with all games, however the modified System Menu may be able to patch the required IOS itself, without an intermediate cIOS.]
All of the above will be fully region free, but the Backups will still be read at 3x speed. [But, as Wiigator has shown us, 3x speed doesn't have to feel slow.]

For the above scenario to become reality, this still has to happen:
- BootMii has to be released [Basically just a waiting game]
- Properly modified clone of the System Menu. [Shouldn't be hard, considering that there is already a video of a modified System Menu floating around (HERE), with close to the right modifications]
- Software to patch a DIP module into any IOS and reboot into that. [May not be very easy, considering that every IOS is different.]

Although I'm probably wrong about the technical specifics, this will most likely be the future of backup loading (for DVD's) and I personally like the look of it.

The future of non-DVD based Wii Backup Loading:
Loading Backups without the use of DVD's will eventually be possible. The bases for this is the development of modules (for the Wii) capable of reading SDHC cards and USB2.0 devices. Both of these approaches are not technically impossible, and both have the potential to be faster at loading games than a DVD at 6x speed. [the SDHC card has to be of Class6 to be able to handle such speeds].
Practically this will mean a new Channel in your System Menu or a Homebrew program launched through Homebrew Channel or BootMii. Launching the program or Channel will get you to a new menu which shows the Backups you have on your USB2.0 storage device or SDHC card. This menu will show small banners of the Backups you have, just like those little banners you see in the Disc Channel right now. [It will look PRETTY
tongue.gif
]
Clicking a banner will launch the Backup and run it at DVD 6x speed or even faster.

- Modules for reading SDHC and/or USB2.0. [A lot of work, and will probably not happen for some time now]
- Something to modify an IOS on the fly, because games require different IOS's. [Not easy]
- A neat menu capable of reading Backup files and extracting the banners and rendering them in a pretty way. [Not difficult]
- A Windows/Linux/Mac program that 'scrubs' Wii Backups, but instead of replacing junk data with 0's, it will remove it altogether. This will cut down the size of the Wii Backups so you can fit more onto your USB2.0 storage device or SDHC card. [Very Easy]

This is of course the future of Backup Loading, since it doesn't require you to waste DVD's.

Disclaimer: the above post is for your reading pleasure only, it doesn't give any warranty that the above scenario will ever happen.

Aircraft

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
(The Summary from zidane_genome)
This should be posted every page after this to make sure people stop asking for summaries etc.

+1 on this! It would stop a lot of the repetitive questions for things that have been answered, also this thread moves so fast, it's hard to find answers for things that happened 10+ pages ago...

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lafie, isn't the reading of SDHC something for the hardware? I don't think you can use software so that a normal SD reader, uncapable of reading SDHC, can read SDHC...

kanoeyes

Trophies
XP
Country
Lafie said:
I'd like to paint everybody a picture in this post, of what the future of Wii Backup Loading will probably be like. I'm basing this on my knowledge of the Wii and pure speculation
tongue.gif
. However, I can with confidence say that the below scenario is not technically impossible.

The future of DVD based Wii Backup Loading:
Loading of backups will eventually be possible to same way you are launching your retail Wii games right now, through the Disc Channel. However, for that to be possible, the System Menu has to be modified. Instead, a clone of the System Menu will be placed on either the SD card or on the Wii itself. This clone will be loaded through BootMii, and will start up just like the System Menu right now.
The System Menu clone will have a modified Disc Channel, which is capable of detecting both real Wii discs, as well as Backup discs. In both cases it will load the banner of the game, but when you click Start with a Backup disc in the drive, a cIOS will be loaded. This cIOS will detect the IOS the game requires and then on the fly patches a DIP module into that IOS. The Wii will reboot into this modified IOS and will then be able to load the Backup disc. [The above step is necessary to ensure full compatibility with all games, however the modified System Menu may be able to patch the required IOS itself, without an intermediate cIOS.]
All of the above will be fully region free, but the Backups will still be read at 3x speed. [But, as Wiigator has shown us, 3x speed doesn't have to feel slow.]

- BootMii has to be released [Basically just a waiting game]
- Properly modified clone of the System Menu. [Shouldn't be hard, considering that there is already a video of a modified System Menu floating around (HERE), with close to the right modifications]
- Software to patch a DIP module into any IOS and reboot into that. [May not be very easy, considering that every IOS is different.]

Although I'm probably wrong about the technical specifics, this will most likely be the future of backup loading (for DVD's) and I personally like the look of it.

The future of non-DVD based Wii Backup Loading:
Loading Backups without the use of DVD's will eventually be possible. The bases for this is the development of modules (for the Wii) capable of reading SDHC cards and USB2.0 devices. Both of these approaches are not technically impossible, and both have the potential to be faster at loading games than a DVD at 6x speed. [the SDHC card has to be of Class6 to be able to handle such speeds].
Practically this will mean a new Channel in your System Menu or a Homebrew program launched through Homebrew Channel or BootMii. Launching the program or Channel will get you to a new menu which shows the Backups you have on your USB2.0 storage device or SDHC card. This menu will show small banners of the Backups you have, just like those little banners you see in the Disc Channel right now. [It will look PRETTY
tongue.gif
]
Clicking a banner will launch the Backup and run it at DVD 6x speed or even faster.

- Modules for reading SDHC and/or USB2.0. [A lot of work, and will probably not happen for some time now]
- Something to modify an IOS on the fly, because games require different IOS's. [Not easy]
- A neat menu capable of reading Backup files and extracting the banners and rendering them in a pretty way. [Not difficult]
- A Windows/Linux/Mac program that 'scrubs' Wii Backups, but instead of replacing junk data with 0's, it will remove it altogether. This will cut down the size of the Wii Backups so you can fit more onto your USB2.0 storage device or SDHC card. [Very Easy]

This is of course the future of Backup Loading, since it doesn't require you to waste DVD's.

Disclaimer: the above post is for your reading pleasure only, it doesn't give any warranty that the above scenario will ever happen.
don´t speack...we are waiting
ph34r.gif

Lafie

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
wabsta said:
Lafie, isn't the reading of SDHC something for the hardware? I don't think you can use software so that a normal SD reader, uncapable of reading SDHC, can read SDHC...
Actually, as far as I know the firmware used to read from the SD(HC) cards has to be made capable of reading SDHC, but the hardware itself doesn't have to change. It's because the difference between SD and SDHC is a different memory addressing method (READ HERE), not different hardware.
And since I believe Starlet provides the 'firmware' for reading from the SD slot, it can be modified through a Softmod. This is ofcourse the opposite from the disk drive which houses it's own firmware, and as such has to be hardmodded to alter the way the DVD drive works.

ChronoX_

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lafie said:
wabsta said:
Actually, as far as I know the firmware used to read from the SD(HC) cards has to be made capable of reading SDHC, but the hardware itself doesn't have to change. It's because the difference between SD and SDHC is a different memory addressing method (READ HERE), not different hardware.

marcan told me that he will include SDHC support in the next version of HBC, so it's possible.
wtf.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/7EqY4iZP4iI?si=SnXrNV8JyKnbrp9j